Recommended Graphic card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 12th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Recommended Graphic card

Hi guys;

I apologize in advance if I post this question in the wrong form, (if I do, please let me know where I should post it)

It may be time for me to update it. I've looked at the list of recommended graphic cards on Adobe website, but I had quite a few recommend NVIDIA Geforce GT 740.

It's not on the list but folks tell me for what I need and for the bang for the buck it's one to consider. Has anyone ever used or had the GT 740 and recommend it?

Thanks!

Robert

Here are the specs of the 2 computers we have.

Primary Workstation 1
Dell Z400
Intel Xeon R CPU W3520 @2.67Ghz 2.66 Ghz
Installed memory 12GB
Windows 8.1
64bit OS
Samsung SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT,

Wk station 2 (primarliy used for office/admin work)
HP Pavilion e 9280t
Intel(R) Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67Ghz 2.67 GhZ
Installed memory 9GB
Windows 8.1
64bit OS
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Recommended Graphic card

I think you can do alot better than the 740 for around the same money.
Check out PassMark Software - Video Card (GPU) Benchmarks - High End Video Cards
For $95 you can get twice the performance in the 750
For $100 you can get almost 3 times the performance in the 570
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 06:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Keep in mind that Adobe specifically needs nVidia cards to which it offloads rendering from the cpu, using the "Cuda cores" to do so.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys:

Stephen, I clicked on the link but don't understand what the color bars represent.

Battle, thanks for the info, but with that being said, I don'tr really know the difference of which card to go with from the list provided, other than its compatible with Adobe Prem. Pro.
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Trustee

Look at the specs, the more ram and cuda cores, the better, although it's possible to over-do it relative to your system cpu and system ram, which I gather from earlier posts on this issue.

Looking at your systems I'm guessing (I'm not a computer expert by any means) that a reasonably priced nVidia card with 2-4 gigs of ram would probably balance with your systems. As I understand it, the very high end and very latest cards need support facilities from the motherboard that an older or more modest system may not have, and some of their capability would be wasted.

FWIW I'm running CS6 on an i7 processor with 32 gb ram and an nVidia 680M card on my laptop with great satisfaction. YMMV. Incidentally, there is an easy hack to a text file that Premiere uses, and a second one that After Effects uses, to identify and use an nVidia card that is not on the official list. It is in the archives of this thread, and some good info here: http://www.studio1productions.com/Ar...remiereCS5.htm

This link also has some good and current information to help you in the selection of your new card.

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; September 12th, 2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lee View Post
Thanks guys:

Stephen, I clicked on the link but don't understand what the color bars represent.
I think the color bars are just a way to differentiate one line from another,
You can click on the name link and get a bit more info about each card.

Battle brings up a good point about matching the cards requirements (specifically power connections) with what is available from your power supply. Make sure your power supply is powerful enough to support the card. Some high end cards require two 6-pin power connectors (or one 6 pin and one 8 pin). Adapters can sometimes make things work that way.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite