DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Is this a good system and price for Premiere Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/530938-good-system-price-premiere-pro.html)

Nigel Davey January 21st, 2016 12:18 PM

Is this a good system and price for Premiere Pro?

I'm getting recommendations and quotes for a new Premiere Pro PC system. I intend to get a Sony FS5 and edit mostly in 1080 on it, but occassinaly in 4K.

What do folks think of these recommendations? Is there anything you would change or upgrade for approx. £500 more? Incidentally I intend to install 3 of my own SSD's in it upon arrival.

Phanteks Enthoo Primo Full Tower Case
Intel Core i7 5960X Haswell-E 8-Cored 3.50GHz Processor – Overclocked up to 4.4GHz
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus X99-A Intel X99 Socket 2011-3 Motherboard
64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz Memory
Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Graphics Card
256GB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive
Corsair RM 750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
5 Year Warranty with 2 Years Collect and Return (UK only)
2 Port FireWire 800 + 1 Port FireWire 400 PCI Express Card
3x Icy Dock MB971SP-B 5.25 inch Hot Swap Drive Caddy (2.5” + 3.5”)

Total inc VAT, delivered: £3032.56

Jeff Pulera January 21st, 2016 12:39 PM

Re: Is this a good system and price for Premiere Pro?

Looks like a very capable system for Premiere! Did you intend to use the SSDs for video/media storage?

You might consider adding two internal SATA drives (7200rpm, 64mb cache) in RAID 0 mode (Windows Stripe Set) to give you large, fast storage for editing from. RAID 0 is not redundant, but if you have some backup plan in place, is a great low cost solution. SSDs are not typically used for editing due to small capacity.

I might be wary of overclocking the CPU, seems that might run hotter and risk stability issues and you may not realize enough gains in Premiere to make it worth it.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Stephen Brenner January 21st, 2016 05:27 PM

You might consider a motherboard with a thunderbolt port for compatibility with some mac oriented peripherals.

Nigel Davey February 23rd, 2016 05:30 AM

I've just had this system delivered but the supplier swapped the case for a Fractal Design Define XL Low Noise Case and the cooler for a Be-Quiet Dark Rock 2 Silent CPU cooler. They said this would make it quieter for the same price, so I was fine with that. What I didn't notice until I recieved the invoice was the overclocked CPU speed had been dropped to 4.3Ghz instead of the originally quoted 4.4Ghz.*

Ok, I'm guessing the loss of 0.1Ghz isn't the end of the world particularly if it will be a bit quiter. But now that this PC has been delivered in the BIOS settings under Ai Tweaker it is showing the target CPU turbo-mode frequency as 4000Mhz. I have also installed CPU-Z and stress-loaded the CPU and the maximum it achieves is 4Ghz.

So is this PC ever likely to come close to 4.3Ghz in the real world? Secondly would that extra 0.3Ghz make a tangible difference when editing with Premiere Pro?

I need to decide how to engage the supplier over this, but don't want to go through all the hassle if it doesn't really make much difference in reality.