DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Creating Proxies in Premiere Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/531865-creating-proxies-premiere-pro.html)

Nathan Buck May 16th, 2016 02:21 AM

Creating Proxies in Premiere Pro

Hi,

Does anyone have experience in this? My PC is struggling with 4k (i7 3770k, 780ti, 32GB RAM) and can't play it back smoothly. I'd like to create lower-res proxies for the edit and then link the original 4k files back up for the final export. How on earth do I do this? How do other people do this? In the meantime, I'll get my homework done on Google.

Thank you!

Nathan

Nathan Buck May 16th, 2016 02:23 AM

Re: Creating Proxies in Premiere Pro

Is this pretty much it?

Premiere Pro Quick Tip: How to Create Proxies - The Beat: A Blog by PremiumBeat

It seems relatively straightforward.

Gary Huff May 16th, 2016 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Buck (Post 1914656)
Is this pretty much it? Premiere Pro Quick Tip: How to Create Proxies - The Beat: A Blog by PremiumBeat It seems relatively straightforward.

Not quite. First,. this will all change once the summer CC update comes out because Premiere will then do proxies in a way that is more in line with FCPX's method.

If you can edit HD video just fine, I would make the proxies HD, not some weird hybrid res. That means 1920x1080 for UHD and 2048x1080 for DCI4K. Second, you do not need to make the sequence the same res as the source camera files, this just adds upscaling to the mix and will hurt performance gains made by proxies. Set you sequence to match your proxies.

Once you have an edit and you're ready to go back to 4K, you can make a new sequence, adjust the resolution in Sequence Settings to the camera original. and then relink.

Nathan Buck May 16th, 2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Huff (Post 1914670)
Not quite. First,. this will all change once the summer CC update comes out because Premiere will then do proxies in a way that is more in line with FCPX's method.

If you can edit HD video just fine, I would make the proxies HD, not some weird hybrid res. That means 1920x1080 for UHD and 2048x1080 for DCI4K. Second, you do not need to make the sequence the same res as the source camera files, this just adds upscaling to the mix and will hurt performance gains made by proxies. Set you sequence to match your proxies.

Once you have an edit and you're ready to go back to 4K, you can make a new sequence, adjust the resolution in Sequence Settings to the camera original. and then relink.

Thanks for your response.I knew I'd heard something surrounding CC regarding proxies! Hopefully this will be much more helpful in future. A new sequence also makes more sense - just copy and paste into the new one, right?

Gary Huff May 16th, 2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Buck (Post 1914683)
A new sequence also makes more sense - just copy and paste into the new one, right?

No, just Duplicate it and then set the settings to reflect the new resolution.

Nathan Buck May 16th, 2016 08:30 AM

Oh yeah. Thanks :)

Nathan Buck May 21st, 2016 05:22 AM

So I'm looking at doing this today. I have all my files organised into folders, with their original (unique) file numbers that were generated in camera.

When I import them into ME, it adds a '_1' to the end of the file name. Do I have to go through and change each one so that they match? It just seems extremely long winded when you have 100's of files. Also, should I place the proxy files in a new location but mirror the folder structure? So "Wedding folder" and "Wedding folder proxies"?

Sorry for the questions, just want to get this right!

Gary Huff May 21st, 2016 05:39 AM

What format are you going to render the proxies in?

Nathan Buck May 21st, 2016 07:48 AM

I've just used the 1080 YouTube preset.

I'm doing one folder at a time, it seems relatively quick. I've left the file names with the "_1" on the end and created a folder structure elsewhere that mirrors the camera media.

Ann Bens May 21st, 2016 03:14 PM

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro...e-editing.html

Nathan Buck May 26th, 2016 03:00 PM

Thanks Ann, that was helpful :)

It's just occurred to me, as part of my editing process, when I chop up clips on the timeline I like to rename them (not the actual media in the project panel, just the timeline clip) - is that going to make it difficult later?

Steve Grimshaw August 19th, 2017 05:04 AM

My apologies for tagging onto the end of this thread, but I have a related problem. I have just bought the Atomos Ninja Flame, fully intending to use it between a Canon XF300 and my GH4. I purchased the Adobe Mastersuite 5.5 collection a few years ago for which I thought was a significant investment, only now to discover that I am not able to import the Pro Res files into Premiere, unless I upgrade to the "pay monthly" program, which I am not really prepared to do. I am in a seven day trial version of the new Premiere Pro and of course, the Pro Res imports beautifully.
My questions are: What are the alternatives? I have a shoot this weekend and the Ninja Flame will be very busy resulting in around six hours of footage; Is there a way that I can use my free seven day trial of P.P. to convert the media and leave me with files that my 5.5 suite can work with after the trial? I don't like to think I am being cheap-skate, I feel I have been let down on my investment.

Ann Bens August 19th, 2017 01:00 PM

Actually its not related at all.

If you upgrade hardware, be prepared to upgrade you software as well, its more then 6 years old.
That said,
You can batch export in AME to anything you want that will work in 5.5
But dont convert to mov or dnxhd you will be crippled by the 32-bit "Adobe QT32 Server (same goes for Prores)

Steve Grimshaw August 20th, 2017 04:35 AM

Thank you Ann for your reply. I fully accept what you say re software, just not in a position to do so. I will try to follow your advice through a little more research