Premiere CC wrong playback speed for 50p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 26th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Premiere CC wrong playback speed for 50p

Hi
I'm starting a project using 1920x1080p 50fps 16bit LPCM footage from a Canon C100 MKII. When I import the clips into CC 2015 it seems to see them OK and the clip info data is all correct (including saying the clips are 50p) but playback is always at half speed (or thereabouts) as if it is seeing the clips at 25p. Audio plays back normally but then cuts off half way through (or sometimes later) and the clip also seems to get more jittery as it plays. I have tried CS6 and that is the same.

I have tried importing clips straight from the memory card (AVCHD) and as ProRes conversions (using ClipWrap), and using all the different ways to set up the correct sequence (manually, automatically etc) I can think of. Nothing changes except sometimes the audio doesn't play at all. Oh, all the clips play absolutely fine in VLC, QT7 etc

I am newish to Premiere (ex FCP) and 50p too but clearly something is badly wrong here. Any clues, advice?

Thanks.

Oh, I use the Matrox mini too to connect to my monitor but I don't think that is an issue as the clips play slow in the Premiere window itself as well as via the Matrox
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Premiere CC wrong playback speed for 50p

What is your sequence set to? 50p?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Major Player

OK I've 'solved' it. Turns out the Matrox cannot cope with 50p and it looks like it never will. Unplug it all everything plays fine but I can't monitor properly!

What do others do for external monitoring of 50p footage? I use a MBP btw (Yosemite at present).
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
What is your sequence set to? 50p?
Yeah everything is set correctly. The Matrox is the problem. So now I need another monitoring solution.

Actually the HDMI output of the Mac straight to the TV monitor looks pretty good. Guess that is the simplest way to go.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Major Player

For Blackmagic Intensity Pro is enough to use 50i sequence instead to 50p for correct playback of 50p. May be for Matrox too...
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 06:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks - interesting idea. The problem with Premiere is that I can't see any way of changing the output to 50i without creating a 50i sequence which would be wrong for the project. On the old FCP you could specify any output for whatever sequence. Is there a way to do this on Premiere?
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:20 AM   #7
Major Player

With Premiere CS6, I regularly mix 50p from a Canon XA20 with 25p from an EX3 on the same timeline. It does not matter whether I use a 25p timeline or a 50p timeline, both play correctly. I have a TV monitor connected to the HDMI output of my 680GTX graphics card.

I tried a Blackmagic Intensity for a while after abandoning my Matrox mini, but found it not worth the inconvenience. It would not give an output to the monitor with a 50p timeline.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 10:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I also advise against the Intensity Pro 4K because the firmware is still incredibly buggy, causing system instability to all systems it's been tested in.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite