No audio when loading AVI..In cs6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 30th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #1
Major Player

No audio when loading AVI..In cs6

I'm using Premiere CS6 and I have a AVI file that loads video just fine, but no audio. Mp4 files play fine. Is there anyway to reset adobe back to orig settings and codecs.
Thanks in advance.
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: No audio when loading AVI..In cs6

Likely you are missing an audio codec. AVI is a wrapper that can be created by a number of audio and video codecs. You might try freeware analysis tools like GSpot or MediaInfo to see what audio codec is used, and to see if it is installed on your system. Or perhaps convert the avi file to another form that uses a codec you have.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you for your reply.
You Know now that you mention it, a few days ago I downloaded "Free Studio app" for downloading youTube videos and recording screen videos and other things, etc, ect. and was having trouble screen recording video. However no audio would play with the video. I went to their forum and they said to download and install,
"K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1060_Basic". Ever since then the AVI audio in CS6 would not work. Everything else would playback ok. I might try to uninstall the app. Hopefully it would uninstall everything associated with it. BTW the app app didn't correct the main problem so I wouldn't be missing anything.
I have tried to create a new project in CS6 and the AVI audio did work in the new Project. I was wondering if it would be possible to take the existing project, the one with the audio problem, and create a new project. Maybe that would work?? Something like Nesting to a new project??
Anyway your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks agains
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't know that creating a new project would help if the codec you need is broken or, perhaps, replaced by the codec package you downloaded and Adobe can't find it. I have heard that those "codec packs" can cause all kinds of havoc.

One possibility to help you uncover the probem is a freeware app called Sherlock, haven't seen a new version for years but google it at a reliable download site and it will tell you what broken or missing codecs it finds. (Check this and all such downloads with a virus checker, it seems to be available from multiple sites and, well.......)

Or perhaps, if you're on Windows, roll back to a recent restore point and see if it gets rid of the problem.
Best wishes!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 06:06 AM   #5
Major Player

NEVER NEVER NEVER install a codec pack. It messes up your system.
Use Mediainfo to find out what codec is used.
Then you can if necessary install the individual codec (which I doubt).
Old October 4th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #6
Trustee

All good advice above.

If you choose to convert the original file, you can use Handbrake software to convert the odd AVI to an mp4 that works for you.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite