Upgrading to Win 10 PPRO CC & Dual Boot SYS - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 19th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Upgrading to Win 10 PPRO CC & Dual Boot SYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
to Ann: Yes, my update of the roughly 10 Dell laptops and one Dell desktop only encountered one machine with problems. I did upgrade the RAM on all the machines, and recommend as much as a persons machine might take, I've found that 32 GBs of RAM for Pr and add ons is a good starting point. 16 is too small for many except those working in single camera. Microsoft has done a great job on the upgrade. What you need to do before upgrading, is check the machine's BIOS and make sure you have installed the most current update if there is one. I also update the video drivers prior to the upgrade as well. The manufacturer's web site will list the updates available for the specific model of machine. By doing that you limit your exposure to Blue Screens of Death, which are almost always hardware related.
Al and Ann;
Thanks for you input. I'm not newbie. I've been editing video with Adobe since 1998. Now as far as computers go, I know just enough to be dangerous. lol. Anyway I'm going to upgrade everything to what you were telling Ann in your post to her. Due to my problem which occurred two weeks ago I decided that this was the best time to make some changes. I'll outline my problem that developed to make me make decision. I am leaning toward PPRO CC due to all the upgrades they have added. Also I would like to start with a clean slate. That's still open for consideration.

Here are my computer Specs:
Windows 7 Pro
Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corp
Service Pack 1
Rating 7.7
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K 3.50GHz 3.50GHz
Installed Memory (Ram) 16.0GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch : No Pen or Touch is Available for this Display
I had started another Thread. Here's what I posted. Maybe this will help.
"It seems I have a problem. I have done a search but nothing comes up that matches my problem. I have a project that I am working on. It has been playing great until today. I had just downloaded a Transition program from BestProAction and installed it. At that point when I clicked to play the timeline when I overlayed the transition on the track above the two clips it was very jittery and not smooth. I did a test project hoping to see if that would correct the problem. No luck. The video used for the project and imported in plays OK outside Premiere. Only when it has been imported into Premiere does the problem occur. I ran a scan for viruses and Malware but with no luck. At this point I'm going to wait until Monday to get with my computer tech to see if he can find the problem. I'm thinking that maybe if he can run a scan for Malware and if that fails to do a restore to a an earlier time. If that fails maybe to uninstall then reinstall CS6."
BTW we did try a restore to an earlier time but that did not work.

I found out later that the transition that I downloaded was not supported by CS6. Only CC. So that was my fault for not taking the time to make sure it was supported. Lesson learned.
I checked with Adobe forums and here in DVinfo for a solution with no luck. The only thing I can think of is a setting was changed maybe in the registry flies.
Hope all this helps.
I really appreciate all the input everyone given. It's very much appreciated.
All the Best.
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
Harry, if you are actually going to upgrade to Windows 10, then you don't need to uninstall anything, as Ann says. If you setup a second drive you can keep running CS6 on the original drive it's on, and load CC onto the new drive. When you do, please make sure that on updates you look for the option to leave the older version in place. The default is to eliminate it and upgrade. There is a check box if I remember right to allow you to do a side by side installation, rather than what's called an "over the top" installation.

Since you say you are a newbie, why not post your machines specs for us to think about. We might have a reasonable suggestion based on that. How much RAM are you running, what video card, etc.
Here are my computer Specs:
Windows 7 Pro
Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corp
Service Pack 1
Rating 7.7
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K 3.50GHz 3.50GHz
Installed Memory (Ram) 16.0GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch : No Pen or Touch is Available for this Display

I have another post with more info. further down.
Thanks Again

Graphics Card.... Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

Last edited by Harry Lender; June 20th, 2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Update for Graphics Card
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
I just did the upgrade to W10 (not the full install)
Never had to reinstall anything of the Adobe programs.
This is my experience as well.
The upgrade from Win 7 to 10 was flawless on my Dell Precision 7910.
All of my existing software, including the complete CS6 Suite and the current CC Suite, worked perfectly after installing Win 10 over the existing Win 7 system.
My experience with Win 10 and Premiere CC has been excellent.
I'm finding it all to be stable, fast, and pretty much friction-less.
You might want to double check the compatibility of your current graphics card with CC 2017 requirements.
Some cards that used to be compatible are no longer on the list.
It's always tough to decide to pull the trigger on this sort of thing, but you know it's got to be done.
I made a back up image of my system drive, then did the upgrade to Win 10.
If it had not gone well, I could have simply restored my system drive from the image and be back to square one in an hour or so- no harm done.
Fortunately, the upgrade was quick, easy, and the results were perfect
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
I just did the upgrade to W10 (not the full install)
Never had to reinstall anything of the Adobe programs.
This is my experience as well.
The upgrade from Win 7 to 10 was flawless on my Dell Precision 7910.
All of my existing software, including the complete CS6 Suite and the current CC Suite, worked perfectly after installing Win 10 over the existing Win 7 system.
My experience with Win 10 and Premiere CC has been excellent.
I'm finding it all to be stable, fast, and pretty much friction-less.
You might want to double check the compatibility of your current graphics card with CC 2017 requirements.
Some cards that used to be compatible are no longer on the list.
It's always tough to decide to pull the trigger on this sort of thing, but you know it's got to be done.
I made a backup image of my system drive, then did the upgrade to Win 10.
If it had not gone well, I could have simply restored my system drive from the image and be back to square one in an hour or so- no harm done.
Fortunately, the upgrade was quick, easy, and the results were perfect

Hi Bob and Ann
My Graphics is Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
Very good info everyone has posted. I am leaning toward updating Win 7 with Win 10 as suggested.
I'm also thinking a new HD just for PPRO CC. Upgrading Ram from 16GB to maybe 64? As I said before I know just enough about computers to Dangerous. I'm working with a Computer Tech who built my original system 4 years ago. Now is the time to update and upgrade. Also updating the OS.
If you can think of anything else let me know. I'll pass it on to him.
Regards
Harry
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #20
Major Player

I was thinking that after I upgrade to windows 10 I might uninstall and reinstall PPRO CS6. to see if that would correct my problem. Having a fresh install. Leaving Encore and everything else still on the computer. It was quite an adventure trying to find the procedure. I finally found what I think is the way to do it. Take a look and see what you think. Also any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.
Thank you

https://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/en...talled-cc.html
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:51 AM   #21
Major Player

Your graphics card will work just fine: mine is a 480 and no issues.

My machine is more outdated then yours i7/940, 12 gig ram.

I would not touch CS6 as its not a cloud version, might get activation issues on that.
If you do uninstall, use cleaner tool then install the cloud version.
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:26 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote"Your graphics card will work just fine: mine is a 480 and no issues.

My machine is more outdated then yours i7/940, 12 gig ram.

I would not touch CS6 as it's not a cloud version, might get activation issues on that.
If you do uninstall, use cleaner tool then install the cloud version.End Quote"

Hi Ann
Thanks for your reply. I was just getting ready to call Adobe tech support on how to uninstall just PPRO CS6 and leaving Encore and everything else installed. Also yes I do want to reinstall PPRO CS6. When you say
"install the cloud version." does that mean there is a cloud version of PPRO CS6?

The reason for uninstalling PPRO CS6 is to try correcting a glitch that came up when I tried to install a small program from BESTPROACTION that I found out later was not compatible with CS6. My fault for not taking the time to check it out. I've checked everywhere, DVINFO & Adobe Forums, trying to solve the problem with no luck. Timeline was playing back very jerky and not smooth. So I figured to Uninstall and Reinstall would correct the problem.
Let me know about the "Cloud version" if you can.
Best regards
Harry

PS Yes I still am going to install PPRO CC

Last edited by Harry Lender; June 21st, 2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: MORE INFO
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:05 AM   #23
Major Player

Harry,

much as Adobe would have us all believe that CS6 is dead, it is very much alive and kicking.

I upgraded my previous system from W7 to W10 when the upgrade was free, without issue. All my hardware and software worked just as before. Note that this was an "in situ" upgtrade, not a "clean" install of W10.

Last August I bought a new system, and so had to purchase a copy of W10 - my upgrade was tied to the old hardware.

I installed W10 pro, immediately followed by all necessary drivers. I installed the Adobe CS6 software before anything else, i.e. Premiere (with Encore), After Effects, Audition, and Photoshop. There were no issues during installing, and they were all activated without problem. The activation issues are with CS2 and earlier versions, as Adobe had to close down the activation server. CS6 activation is still running just as it was.

I then installed Microsoft Office 2003, and all my other software - most of which is rather younger! Again there were no issues.

Where I did have issues was with hardware drivers. My Focusrite Saffire had worked OK with the upgrade, but refused to work at all with the clean install. So I had to replace it. My Canon i4950 printer had worked fine with the old system, but it would not print DVD labels with the clean install. That was about it, everything ran just fine then, and still does today.

Obviously there are no guarantees that you will encounter no difficulties with a new install, but there is nothing in W10 which prohibits the use of CS6. As there are no more updates for CS6, no difficulties shoud arise in future, but just to play safe, I have turned off Adobe update completely - the temptation must be there!

If you are happy with CS6, there is no reason to shell out for the latest and greatest, just go for it.

I suspect my problem with CS6 will arise when I replace my trusty Sony EX3 camera. I cannot expect the old CS6 software to run with new codecs, etc., but then I gather CC is not immune from this. Even Jim Simon, the erstwhile arch-devotee of CC on the Adobe forums, is defecting to Resolve due to Premiere not supporting the files that his camera delivers.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:18 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote"much as Adobe would have us all believe that CS6 is dead, it is very much alive and kicking.

I upgraded my previous system from W7 to W10 when the upgrade was free, without issue. All my hardware and software worked just as before. Note that this was an "in situ" upgtrade, not a "clean" install of W10.

Last August I bought a new system, and so had to purchase a copy of W10 - my upgrade was tied to the old hardware.

I installed W10 pro, immediately followed by all necessary drivers. I installed the Adobe CS6 software before anything else, i.e. Premiere (with Encore), After Effects, Audition, and Photoshop. There were no issues during installing, and they were all activated without problem. The activation issues are with CS2 and earlier versions, as Adobe had to close down the activation server. CS6 activation is still running just as it was.

I then installed Microsoft Office 2003, and all my other software - most of which is rather younger! Again there were no issues.

Where I did have issues was with hardware drivers. My Focusrite Saffire had worked OK with the upgrade, but refused to work at all with the clean install. So I had to replace it. My Canon i4950 printer had worked fine with the old system, but it would not print DVD labels with the clean install. That was about it, everything ran just fine then, and still does today.

Obviously there are no guarantees that you will encounter no difficulties with a new install, but there is nothing in W10 which prohibits the use of CS6. As there are no more updates for CS6, no difficulties should arise in future, but just to play safe, I have turned off Adobe updater completely - the temptation must be there!

If you are happy with CS6, there is no reason to shell out for the latest and greatest, just go for it.

I suspect my problem with CS6 will arise when I replace my trusty Sony EX3 camera. I cannot expect the old CS6 software to run with new codecs, etc., but then I gather CC is not immune from this. Even Jim Simon, the erstwhile arch-devotee of CC on the Adobe forums, is defecting to Resolve due to Premiere not supporting the files that his camera delivers.End Quote"

Hi Alan
Thanks for the update. I'm still thinking about CC. However I have to get CS6 working again. That's the reason for Reinstalling it. Before the incident it was working great. Now I'm hold with my Projects.
Best Regards
Harry
Here what my problem looks like
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzc...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Harry Lender; June 21st, 2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: More Info
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:54 AM   #25
Major Player

CC might kill off activation of CS6 disk version.
I would try to fix CS6 before upgrading W10.

Please dont quote it makes the posts hard to read. (English is not my native language) or put the text in a quote box.
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:37 PM   #26
Major Player

Sorry about that. And I will try to fix CS6
Thank You
Old June 21st, 2017, 02:04 PM   #27
Major Player

I just spent :45 minutes trying to contact Adobe support by phone. Was unable to find a phone number. They kept taking me to pages upon pages and never to the right one. So I tried to repost my original problem in a new post in the forums but couldn't find the "Post a New Thread" button. At this rate I'll never get my problem fixed. If I'm having this much trouble now, what's it going to be like If I buy Premiere Pro CC???
This is not right. What am I doing wrong?
I get more help from you guys than from Adobe.
Thanks to everyone here. You are great.
Harry
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:48 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Have you tried the Adobe Community Forums. That is where I go for help. Here is the link to the one for Premiere Pro https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere

You will likely need to set up an Adobe Account if you don't already have one.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:25 PM   #29
Major Player

Hi Luke;
Yes I've been to the forums and posted there with no luck. I just happened to get lucky and was able to post. However when I tried again I wasn't successful.
The link you gave me here was successful. I'm going look there for my problem.
Also i've been looking for the proper way to Uninstall & Reinstall PPRO CS6 to see if that will correct my problem. Keeping Encore installed of course.
I came across this link Uninstall Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 - How to fully remove Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 from Windows system

Take a Look and see what you think.
Thanks Again For your help.
Harry
PS
Luke Your link was a God Send. Thanks Again.

Last edited by Harry Lender; June 22nd, 2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: More Info
Old June 22nd, 2017, 02:52 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lender View Post
I haven't had a problem uninstalling a program using the Windows program uninstall process and would worry about using an unfamiliar third party utility to do it. If you still have issues after the uninstall you might consider Adobe's registry cleaner.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-clo...-problems.html
Luke Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite