CS5 to CS6 import problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 15th, 2018, 05:20 AM   #1
Major Player

CS5 to CS6 import problem

Hi. I have saved a file(actually my animated logo) from CS5 premiere pro and when I try to import into the timeline of CS6 premiere pro I get a message saying more or less that the file was made with another version of Premiere pro and needs to be converted. Can anyone please tell me how to convert the file so that it works on CS6 premiere pro. Thanks
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: CS5 to CS6 import problem

Are you trying to import the finished video clip, or the actual Premiere Project File from CS5? If the latter, then just say "Yes" and it will be converted and opened (be sure to SAVE AS right away to save new version). It should never be an issue opening a project from an older version of Premiere in a newer version, but you can never go the other way, newer to older.

If having issues importing finished video clip, that would be very surprising - what format is it?

Thanks
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jeff. Thanks for your reply. I am trying to open the file which is in fact a Project. If I click onto the shortcut and tell it to open with Adobe CS6 it works and shows up on the time line but of course is saved as the project logo name. However the simple matter is that when I start a new project with a new name and try to import the logo file it opens alright but no images only offline signals.. So it seems that I can't import a project into another new project.
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:02 PM   #4
Trustee

CS6 cannot import a CS5 project, it must convert it into a CS6 project and open it as a CS6 project
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Major Player

BOB. Thanks for your info. But how do I convert it?
Old January 16th, 2018, 05:19 AM   #6
Major Player

The file converting is done on import.
Premiere asks to save the new file: hit ok.
Old January 16th, 2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Alexander View Post
BOB. Thanks for your info. But how do I convert it?
1) Open CS6
2) From CS6 FILE> OPEN PROJECT navigate to your CS5 project file and click on it
3) You will get dialogue box that says, in effect, " this project is from an older Premiere version, it needs to be updated to a CS6 project" click the OK button
4) The CS5 project will be converted into a new CS6 project with "-1" appended to the original project name.
The project will automatically open in CS6
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Bob for the information. I have followed your instructions and although the file selected opens on the CS6 timeline it still shows no images and shows in red the word offline in many languages. Roy

Last edited by Roy Alexander; January 17th, 2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old January 17th, 2018, 11:32 AM   #9
Major Player

Most likely, the hard drive or folder where the MEDIA for your logo was previously kept for the CS5 project in no longer there. No media is saved in the project itself - rather, it just points to the actual locations where the stuff is expected to be. If Premiere can't find the images or video clips, it can't put them in the timeline.

If you know where the content is, you should be able to re-link them to the project.

Thanks
Old January 19th, 2018, 07:21 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Jeff for the info. You are right of course. It transpires that two hard drives in the PC have been removed because they had a lot of errors on them and they have been replaced. It is most likely that the original project files were on the removed hard drives. I always thought that when you made copies of the files that they would work when the originals were no longer there?
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite