Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:36 AM   #451
Major Player

If you're either burning direct to DVD or encoding direct to MPEG2 from Premiere, that's most likely your problem. I've had sync issues when using Premiere's MPEG2 encoder. I export to DV AVI and use another encoder. Give that a try if you haven't already.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:46 AM   #452
Inner Circle

I doubt that direct export is your problem. I have done it both ways and never had a sync problem. I would rather suspect a preferences setup issue or a codec mess-up - running multiple (and un-necessary) codecs on the same PC will invariably give you all sorts of errors.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:42 PM   #453
Regular Crew

Shoot HDV_Capture DV_Edit DV_Recapture HDV

Hi

As the title says (or not) I thought about this workflow:

- Shoot HDV with my FX1
- Capture DV into a PPro DV project - in-camera downconversion
- Edit as I used to before having the FX1
- Output to DVD and the client is happy with a great image.

THEN (in a few years when everybody owns an HD-DVD player)

- open my old DV PPro project
- use the project's clips time-codes to capture HDV
- render
- output to HD-DVD

Now the big question is: Is this possible? And how?

The project i have in my hands right now will be delivered in DVD. But it can also be "broadcasted" to the employees through the client's intranet in flash video. The adobe media encoder - flash video has an HD option so this made me think about all the possibilities besides HD-DVD.

Any thoughts?

Paulo
Paulo Figueiredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM   #454
Inner Circle

Assuming you have PPro2.0, how about:

1. Shoot HDV
2. Edit HDV
3. Render to HDV on tape to save finished product.
4. Render to DV for current project.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM   #455
Regular Crew

You're right Chris.
I'm just not sure if my pc will handle it fast enough to keep editing confortable. This is my first project since I bought the FX1! just trying to get used to it. I'll try the all-HDV way for the next no-rush job but I'm keeping this potential work-flow in my mind just to be on the safe side.
For now i would really like to show this client (it's a big one) that HDV is worth some extra bucks in the budget but don't have the time to go through a new editing process to output the same job in HD.
Any .EDL , .AAF hints would be great!

Paulo
Paulo Figueiredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM   #456
Inner Circle

If you are into after effects, etc., you ahead of me on the production end, so you are probably right about needing a higher level system. I cobbled together a pretty cheap system by a mother board, AMD 3800 + dual core, and 2 gigs ram, and a generic ATI X700 PCI express video card with 256 mgs on board. I understand that the video card is probably utilized by PPro2.0 in renders, and will increase speed. With my lower level editing, using mainly transitions and minor color correcting, I seem to have HDV render times similar to my DV renders with my Intel 1.7 machine.

Other option is to add Apect HD from Cineform, and edit in their intermediate. Runs about $500 USD.
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #457
Regular Crew

Trim Quality

I have some footage that I have to use and due to a lens shroud position it is in the edges of the footage. I trimed aprox 10% off the edges but the quality of the footage drops of to the extent it looks very grainy. I have tried to correct it by adjusting several settings but nothing helps. It there a fix ie some setting in the corrections features that I am missing??? Pre-Thanks

VX2K camera, PPro2, Tape at SP and all that info I can think of...
John L Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #458
Regular Crew

Audio questions & Workflow

I just completed 2 DVD's for a Dance Studio of there yearly recital. It was shot as a 3 camera production and edited in Premiere Pro 2.0
After cutting the sequences (60 x ~3:00), muddling through the audio and finally getting the DVD's delivered I am thinking there must be a better workflow for using multicam audio in a multicam video project.
Here is the audio recording path; Camera 1, CH1 mic in front of audience, CH2 mic on camera for audience. Camera 2, CH1 feed from board, CH2 feed from board -3dB. Camera 3, onboard mics for audience.
Most of the audio is good, however there are some places where people on stage are speaking/singing and were not miked (live and learn).
Beyond the obvious miking issues, to be corrected next year. There is the issue of audio workflow and sweeting for the production.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Or does anyone know of good resources explaining how best to do audio for video.

Thanks in advance,
I look forward and appreciate the help.

TwoBit Digital Inc.
Video and Computer Geek
P4 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, Matrox RT.x100, dual head display
Devlyn Hukowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #459
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlyn Hukowich

Here is the audio recording path; Camera 1, CH1 mic in front of audience, CH2 mic on camera for audience. Camera 2, CH1 feed from board, CH2 feed from board -3dB. Camera 3, onboard mics for audience.
Most of the audio is good, however there are some places where people on stage are speaking/singing and were not miked (live and learn).
I'm not an audio expert, but it seems like you may have dedicated too many mics or other resources to the audience. Since you don't indicate which type of mics you used, it's hard for me to suggest options. However, I suspect that 2 mics (maybe shotguns) dedicated to the audience would be plenty. If the board provides for a separate mic for the singer/speaker/podium and you can tap into that, then I think 1 or 2 stage/boundary mics would do a decent job. Overall, I've never been very satisfied with on-cmarea mics and try to stay away from them for anything except the audience.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #460
Regular Crew

Anyone!!

Don't tell me no one has had this problem??? It's only a 3 year project anyway... I guess I can wait one more year
John L Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #461
Regular Crew

What format for proxy footage for Premiere

Hello.

I have aproximately 30 hours of footage of my documentary film. I would like first to capture all the footage to my HDD, which is only 300 GB. Therefore I'm looking for a proxy format that would save me some of the disk space, but allow to caputre entire material to my disk. It could be 1/4 PAL, and high compression. The only contition is that I should be able to load it into premiere and edit.

Afterwards I will capture only those parts that I need in full DV.

Any suggestions on the desired file format and application that will allow me to capture to it directly from my dv equipment in real time?
Milosz Krzyzaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #462
Regular Crew

DVD burning settings

May i ask what are the best setting to use in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 to get a sharp image ? I have buened 2 DVD's and I find that they are no where as sharp as a store bought DVD.
I am using a Conon GL2 with PPro 1.5
is there a way to get a DVD burned at an outside source to get Hollywood quality image?
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #463
Wrangler

Hi Thomas,

DVDs produced by Hollywood are obviously higher quality due to
1) Films are shot on Film (Far more quality than DV?)
2) They burn to dual layer disks and so can fit far more data which in turn means higher datarates and better quality.

you don't mention that you are using any of the above, so it is difficult to suggest any reasonable soloution.

what settings are you currently using?

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #464
Trustee

Thomas,

If you are using the mainconcept encoder which I use with Premiere 6.5 these are the best settings I have found and am satisfied with the DVD produced. You can encode about 1 hour on a single layer dvd with these settings.

- Video stream type: DVD
- frame size 720x480
- frame rate 29.970
- aspect ration 4:3
- bitrate 7.50 MBPS Constant
- Audio settings PCM
- freqency 48.0 khz
- multiplexing: none
- Video encoder quality (50)
- Motion search (13)
- (X) do half pixel search

Now its going to take a really long time to encode with these setting for a 1 hr. project (about 11 hours for me on my old computer). Some would argue that the video encoder quality setting and motion search are set to high, but trust me and go with the settings I suggested. Also, if you use an AC3 audio encoder you can bump the bitrate up from 7.50 to about 8.4 due to the smaller audio file size with AC3. Just don't go over 9.0MBPS total for compatability with most DVD players.

Hope this helps,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #465
Regular Crew

what's a good streaming setting?

I have a 3 min music video that when rendered to qt h.264 comes out to a tad over 1gig in file size (but damn it looks good). I'm gonna stream the video from my website like apple does for the movie trailers. but it seems all the streaming renders I've tried have turned it into crap. Anyone has some good settings that will render this down to say 100megs or so and still look really good.
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite