Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #571
Trustee

Audio track previews too early!

As I play through my timeline I notice the audio is playing about 1 to 2 frames before the video. It's not just the audio linked to video tracks; I set a sound effect lined up to a cut to another shot but the sound effect manages to play while I'm still on the previous shot. What's going on? Any way to fix this? It's really messing up my audio editing...

Last edited by Ben Winter; November 16th, 2006 at 08:08 PM.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #572
Major Player

Don,

Thanks...

I currently use the Canopus ADVC-100. This external unit allows me to preview playback on my commodore 1702 NTSC monitor via a modified S-video connection. http://www.retrothing.com/2006/03/commodore_1702_.html By the way... if you want an affordable monitor - you can pick one of these up for $50. Make a cable from $7. You have Tint, Color, Biightness, and contrast controls too. Makes it nice... when calibrating to color bars. ;-) These little units are nice in the field too.

I do not have two PC monitors. Sometimes I like to see the full size output (say 16X9) on my PC monitor. I do not care for the small preview window in p-pro. Is there a way to get a larger preview window without distorting the image?
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #573
Tourist

Just upgraded to PP 2.0 and lost fonts

About 1/3 of the font's on my system no longer work in PP 2.0. They worked fine in PP 1.5. Most the font's I could careless about, but the tribe I work for has developed thier own font, we've used for years from print to web and video, and in PP 1.5, but now it dosen't work. It still works in Phsotshop CS2, Illustrator CS2 and After Effects 7.0. Any suggestions?
David Sienko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #574
Inner Circle

I would try reinstalling those fonts.
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #575
Tourist

done that...

I first reinstalled the font.... and rebooted..... then uninstalled... rebooted and reinstalled.... to no avail
David Sienko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #576
Trustee

Never mind...this is a Cineform issue, not a Premiere issue.
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #577
Regular Crew

Editing footage from a DVD, (.vob)

I got some music videos that need to intercut with my film, but I got all those on a dvd playable in every player there is. So there are no .avi or other data files. I want to edit this footage in premiere, and it doesn't play these files, but vlc does. How do I do this? Is there some fancy dvd-ripping involved and do i lose quality during the process?
whats the easiest solution?

Regards
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #578
Trustee

Depends if it's copyprotected or not. If it is that's where 'ripping' comes in.

Otherwise, a "vob" file is just an mpeg2 video stream with one or several audio streams.

Try changing the extention to .mpg ... that may be enough for Premiere to accept it. Otherwise demux it back to separate video and audio streams using something like "mpeg tools" in the demo version of TMPGEnc.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #579
Inner Circle

Help! Help With Strange footage!

Hi All,

I took over the job of helping with an intro movie for an art festival in Southern Florida.

I popped one of the previous tapes in the camera before starting to see what format it was in, because they knew nothing about any of the camera work. They just wrote, directed and produced. The tape played in a 16:9 style format, so that is what I shot.

I shot my footage on Sunday, about 6minutes worth, and when we finished they gave me two tapes they already had. When I captured them today, something is wrong about the format. When captured in a 16:9 project they are 16:9 ratio, or very close, but the files need to be rendered when put into the PPro timeline. Then, after rendering, they are still 16:9 ratio, but are smaller, and must be blown up to 135% to fill the window. When captured in a 4:3 project, they do not need rendering, but maintain the 16:9 or cropped size.

These were shot with a DVX100b, and the tapes are supposedly straight from the camera. Does this camera crop in the camera? I can’t figure it out. Remember the tapes are straight from the camera!

What is it I’m missing here? Specs below:

Editing in PPro 2.0

Camera-- DVX100b

View as 16:9

When captured in a 16:9 project they need to be rendered, then the size reduces.

When captured in a 4:3 project they do not need to be rendered, but are still 16:9 format.

The footage, even if I get this fixed is horrible, with bad noise and the worst color I have ever seen. I am going to try and save it, but not sure how. The guy who shot it is supposed to work for a local TV station.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I know not what I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Mike
Old November 20th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #580
Regular Crew

Dynamic Link A Bit Static

I have been exporting uncompressed AVI's from PPro2 to use in AE7, exporting from AE7 to uncompressed AVI to bring back into the premiere timeline. What a pain. Now I should be able to use dynamic link. When I select 'Dynamic Link - New AE Comp' in Premiere, AE7 opens up and creates a new linked comp but I can't do anything with it, the little preview screen in the project pane is black. I have tried opening AE7 first so it dosen't have to be prompted by Premiere but same result. The Adobe help file is clear as mud. Surely it should be as simple as what I was doing? Go on then, what am I missing out? ;)
Make me sane again.
Damian Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #581
Inner Circle

Bump Bump!
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #582
Major Player

It's possible that they were shot in a messy "4:3 letterbox" mode, in which it just shoots a 4:3 image, and puts a 16:9 matte over the image, as opposed to cropping and making an anamorphic 16:9 image. An old DV camera I owned had that feature, but I'm not sure how common it is.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:53 AM   #583
Regular Crew

The DVX100b has a letterbox mode, and a squeeze mode. I would guess the footage was shot in letterbox and should be edited in a 4x3 timeline. If you open squeeze mode footage in a 4x3 timeline everything will be vertically stretched. If you select a clip in your project window, it will tell you the pixel aspect ratio, 1.2 is widescreen, 0.9 is 4x3.

Hope this helps
-Kevin
Kevin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 03:34 AM   #584
Major Player

How should the device control work exactly?

I was capturing footage yesterday and I found the device control a bit strange. The play and stop button and reverse and forward work fine. But the jog control and shuttle acted a bit strange in my eyes.

I switched from Final Cut Pro to Adobe Production Studio recently, and I bought the Adobe Classroom in a Book training book.

There are 3 methods to capture footage:
1)press record and capture entire tape or a part of it
2)capture and log (and then batch capture)
3)capture using scene detection

I like the 2nd method but it annoyed me tremendously. While in the monitors, the jog/shuttle controls work perfectly and are very responsive, in the capture panel it is completely the opposite. When I jog forward, I can slow-forward frame per frame untill a certain moment where it jumps back a few seconds in timecode. When I jog backwards, it immidiately makes strange jumps in timecode making it impossible to move to the desired frame. With the shuttle control, slow and fast forward work pretty much like in the monitors. However, shuttle backwards also works strangely. Fast-backwards works fine, but slow-backwards also makes these strange jumps in timecode. Is this typical Premiere behaviour is it dependent of the videocamera? Also, the slow-back and slow-forward buttons are grey. Is there a reason for this, or does it not work with certain types/brands of cameras?I am using a Canon XL-H1 (PAL model) and Cineform.

I am also interested to learn which capture method everyone is using and why they have chosen for that particular capture method.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:55 AM   #585
Regular Crew

HDV downconvert ppro2

If I downconvert the footage in camera Z1U, then edit it. When I recapture in HDV, will I have to edit the footage all over again?
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite