Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 21st, 2006, 06:18 AM   #586
Regular Crew

I did this two or three times now because in some jobs I need to do a quick edit on location.

I use the downconvert of my FX1 (the same for Z1) and capture and edit in PPro2.0. I export it and show it to the audience.
At the studio I create an Adobe HDV Project and import the DV project that I created on location. When you open a sequence created in the DV project you get a small video footage in the monitor window.
What I do to ake right is make all the AVI's offline and recapture using batch capture without downconversion on the FX1. This really works...you only have to resize titles you made on the DV project.
It's a tricky and time-consuming alternative to intermediate codecs like AspectHD...far from perfect...but it works for me and my specific needs.

EDIT: to import an entire project you must import the .pproj file. it places all the project in a new bin
Paulo Figueiredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM   #587
Trustee

The real question is this:

Does the batch capture of the HDV come out frame accurate? If it does, great. If not, then there is a lot of work to do to get it all to match again, isn't there?
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:30 PM   #588
Regular Crew

I think you may be a bit limited in your options using the XL-H1, as Premiere doesn't offer full support yet. Such as scene detect and print to tape in 24f.

I'm currently only working in SD. I always use scene detect, and just capture the whole tape. I just set it and forget it. But I'm usually capturing 5-6 hours of footage at a time, and I would go mad if I had to go through it manually.
Kevin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:12 PM   #589
Regular Crew

Thumbnail View issues

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding the Project Window.
My issues is that when I import items into the
Project Window and I change the display to Icon
(or Thumbnail) View, the clips are not in alphabetical
or numerical order. They are random and make no
sense.

My question is: how can I get the clips in order?

A lot of time, I want to view things that were shot
in sequence. And yes, I have changed the Project
Window to List View instead of the Icon/Thumbnail
View option and re-ordered the files so that they are
in order when viewing them in the List View. When
it is in the List view, everything is how I want it to be,
but the moment I change it to the Icon/Thumbnail
View, I revert back to the random and disordered
Thumbnails.

I hope I have explained myself well enough. If not,
let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

PS I am using Windows XP with PP1.0
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM   #590
Regular Crew

Incomplete VOB/MPG import

Hello. I have some .vob files from a clients handycam that he wants me to edit together. So I copy the VOB files to my HD, and rename them to filename01.mpg (as the case may be.)

I import them into Premiere Pro 2.0, and it seems to work. Except for the fact that only five out of the 25 minutes of footage is there. Why is this, and how do I make PPro import all of it? WMPlayer sees everything (i.e. the full length).

Any help is appreciated,
Mike
Mike Wham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM   #591
Inner Circle

Yup,

You are right Kevin. It was shot 4:3 .9 cropped. My few shots are 16:9 1.2. The people doing this can't get the people back together again, I'm the third camera person, in about 5 months. The first guy kept all of his footaqge and thier tapes and hard drive. He shot 9 hours of video for a 7 minute short and the actors were ready to give up. Then he quit and kept everything.

What is the best way to incorporate my footage? Shrink it down to fit, or do some sort of render. The previous footage is so bad and the sound so messed up that I wish I could back out, but I promissed.

If I enlarge their footage it will be very grainy and it is bad enough now. So best to modify mine, right?

I have about 30 more seconds footage to shot for them. How do I do that, shoot 4:3 and crop in post?

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.

Mike
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:47 PM   #592
Regular Crew

In my case it really doesnt matter. And I didnt even check if it was frame accurate. The result in HDV seemed the same to me.
Again, in my case, quick edits, most of them in under 30 minutes, arent exactly frame acuracy dependable. It just serves to deliver the client a better looking sample of what was shown on location together with a final edit (usually a 6-8 hour session) in a full-HDV workflow.

This presents me with a problem: the tape mechanism is getting used double time when i do this. One for the DV edit, another for the HDV re-capture.
I intend to resolve this by buying a FireStore. It will save me time capturing on the field (and give me over an hour of extra editing time on location) and I would only need to run the tape once again for HDV capture...or never if I use AspectHD or similar.

Just waiting for the bucks to try it. For now the mentioned workflow works for my specific needs.

Paulo
Paulo Figueiredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM   #593
Regular Crew

Help me with 24f

I just bought the XH A1 and I wanted to know if I record in SD 24f, should I still just select 24p in PPro 2.0??
James Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:55 PM   #594
Regular Crew

Time code

Hi guys;
I'm using PPro. 2.0 And in the time line my time code display this numbers,
00:11:38:11511. I know that the last five digits are the frames, but I don't want the time code to display all those number, only fames.
Anybody knows how to switch them back to frames only. Any help will be appreciated. It’s very annoying when you want to scroll frames but this way it takes too long to scroll thru the project.
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:24 PM   #595
Wrangler

In SD, it works just like the DVX-100 or XL2. You choose 2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pull-down in the camera menu, and then make sure the PPro project is set for the correct pull-down.

To capture and edit native HDV F-Mode in PPro, you need the preset files that can be downloaded from the Adobe web site. Once you have those, just choose your preset and you're all set.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:55 PM   #596
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
In SD, it works just like the DVX-100 or XL2. You choose 2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pull-down in the camera menu, and then make sure the PPro project is set for the correct pull-down.

To capture and edit native HDV F-Mode in PPro, you need the preset files that can be downloaded from the Adobe web site. Once you have those, just choose your preset and you're all set.
I went to the website and all they have is 24F for editing HDV footage. I didn't see anything for SD 24F.
James Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:20 PM   #597
Regular Crew

James if you shoot SD 24f, then use the 24p preset in Premiere. I'm not familiar with the camera, but if you plan to edit in a 23.976 project, then I would shoot with the 2:3:3:2 advanced pulldown. I'm assuming the camera has this feature. I won't have one for another few weeks.
Kevin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:02 AM   #598
Regular Crew

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the embedded chapter points. Is there a way to get Premiere to ignore this?
Mike Wham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:04 PM   #599
Inner Circle

I suspect it's rather the poor handling of mpeg files all together. I am having all sorts of issues with a similar project where the client handed me a hard drive camcorder (JVC Everio). Depending on what you mean by "edit together" you have several options - I spent about two weeks now, on and off, on this project.

Bottom line is: Premiere, although can handle MPEG, it doesn't really like it (I suspect it's actually not Premiere but Windows, but I have no means to confirm that). If you have to do editing on the footage, you are better off decompressing the footage with Movie Maker - I know, it's a primitive app, but it does the job. It will take some time, but you can also add the clips together if you have to. Just export as DV-AVI from Movie Maker and import that into PPRO.

If you don't need to do any editing on the footage, and your final product is a DVD, you can use Encore - in my case it is unpractical since I have close to 200 clips, most of them very short (10-30 seconds). I tried several pieces of software to "stitch" the clips together without any other editing, but could not find a working piece of software.

Good luck and come back with your results, lets put together a workflow to help everyone else on this forum!
Old November 23rd, 2006, 03:05 AM   #600
Major Player

So what you are saying is that scene detect does not work with 25F footage? As far as I could judge, the icon was active with 25F footage. I will have to test this... I am using the Cineform for Premiere codec.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite