Is there any way to read an fcp project file with premiere pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1
New Boot

Is there any way to read an fcp project file with premiere pro?

I'm sure you guys have seen this question before, but I couldn't come up with anything when I searched, so my apologies if this question has been asked to death.

I am interested in going back and making some changes to a project I did last year, only problem is, the project was made in fcp, and I am a pc user. I no longer have access to a Final Cut system, and the only thing I have at home is Premiere Pro. I've got Macdrive, so I was able to access my external Final Cut drive and copy over the media files, now I just need to do something about the project file itself. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert that final cut file into something premiere can read? OR can I export a file from fcp (I should be able to get access to a fcp system long enough to do that) which will tell premiere where the cuts are... since I have the media files, that's basically all I need, right?

P.S. I'm not interested in joining the mac vs pc debate; I'm just looking for a way around this problem. ;)

Thanks!
Eric Edmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Eric,

Prmiere will be unable to read the FCP project file. However if you can get access to FCP and you are able to load your project, you should be able to export an EDL from FCP (It won't contain any of the special effects you have done). You can then import the EDL into Premiere Pro.

Hope this helps,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Supports LPFM Radio

If it's a complex project, you could probalby use Pro Import PPro from Automatic Duck. That will let you move an XML file from FCP into Premiere Pro 1.5. It's $500, but depending on how complex the project is (i.e. if Ed's EDL suggestion will take you too muchtime), that can be money well spent.

More info here:

<http://www.automaticduck.com/products/pipp/>

Best,

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I tried exporting and EDL from FCP (4?) and then importing it into Premiere. At first, it looked alright: the edited clips were in the timeline. But then I realised all the in points were reset to the first frame for every clip in the timeline. So that was useless.
Old January 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Trustee

I don't know if Final Cut Pro supports saving projects in the Advanced Authoring Format (AAF), but if it does, you could try that option. AAF contains more project information than an EDL does, and Premiere Pro, at least in version 1.5, can import AAF project files.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the input everyone! At this point, it looks like my best bet is to checkout the AAF export (if money were not an issue, I would go for Automatic Duck).

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. =)

Cheers~
Eric Edmondson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite