Importing native 16/9? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #1
Trustee

Importing native 16/9?

Hi,

I've been using premiere for many years now, but I always used it with letterbox or squeeze 16/9. Now I have a FX1 with native 16/9 and I'd like to know if there is any particular setting to import its' footage (I shoot in HD but I import to premiere in SD)? Another thing I'd like to know is: do I have to put the black bars my self (like on non-native 16/9) or will the image automaticly adjust to 16/9 on the TV? I know these questions sound kind of silly, but it's the first time I'm working with native 16/9.

Thanks,

Rafa
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Hi,

I've been using premiere for many years now, but I always used it with letterbox or squeeze 16/9. Now I have a FX1 with native 16/9 and I'd like to know if there is any particular setting to import its' footage (I shoot in HD but I import to premiere in SD)? Another thing I'd like to know is: do I have to put the black bars my self (like on non-native 16/9) or will the image automaticly adjust to 16/9 on the TV? I know these questions sound kind of silly, but it's the first time I'm working with native 16/9.

Thanks,

Rafa
Hi Raf
I use PPro to import from my FX1...either using SD to shoot in or using the camera to downres HDV: you just select 'New Project > widescreen (I use PAL 48khz)...
It imports your video no problem and will save in same format when you export as AVI file.
If you encode you'll need to set you encoder to 16.9.
Whatever no need to add black bars

when I author to disk I use DVD-Lab Pro and you can select Widescreen, and then set the output TV settings to automatic letterbox for 4:3.

My DVD player needs to be set to play 16.9 and that letterboxes fine. On the wide TV you just set the 16.9 setting..

Pictures look very nice indeed in SD.

Not got HD yet.

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Trustee

Thank you, Gareth. Much apreciatted.

Cheers,

rafa
Old January 5th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Trustee

The native 16/9 issue on premiere is taken care of, but now the issue is with After Effects 6.5...whenever I take the perfect native 16/9 footage I imported with premiere and try to use it on After FX, no matter the timeline I choose, the image is always "weird". When I select Pal widescreen, the image apears super sequeezed horizontaly...
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Trustee

In After Effects you need to make sure that the aspect ratio is set correctly for your composition. To do this, open the composition. Then go to Composition>Composition Settings, and choose a ratio from the Aspect Ratio pop-up menu.

You can also set the pixel aspect ratio for imported footage if After Effects does not automatically detect it (however, you must still set your composition settings correctly yourself).

To set the pixel aspect ratio for imported footage, select the footage in the Project window. Then go to File>Interpret Footage>Main and choose a ratio from the Pixel Aspect Ratio pop-up menu.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite