Creating a Premiere Pro benchmark at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 6th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Creating a Premiere Pro benchmark

For a newbie like me it is very frustrating reading contradictory advice all over the web about how to set up an effective editing computer: "Only use Intel//AMD kicks Intel's butt" "You have to use RAID 0//RAID is overkill" "Get the fastest RAM you can afford//value RAM is just as good", etc, etc.

It would be really great if a knowledgable Premiere Pro user created a benchmark consisting of a small video clip that is used over and over in a Premiere Pro project with lots of different transitions and effects applied (and make the clip and project file publicly available). Then maybe we could see some meaningful discussion of how different system components effect rendering time and whatnot, or how video cards effect smooth playback of previews, etc. I think it would be more useful than synthetic benchmarks.

Has something like this already been done?
Mike Laven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #2
New Boot

Premiere

Hello Mike Laven

I have been editing on Premiere for two years now. What would you like to know I might be able to help.
Jay C Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #3
New Boot

Looks like someone had already done something like this after all:
" This Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM+) is designed to be a highly portable, easily reportable, hardware evaluation tool. It will allow you to optimize your Premiere Pro hardware configuration and give you solid data for upgrading or for selecting a new cost effective configuration."
http://mysite.verizon.net/wgehrke/ppbm/
Mike Laven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite