Volume does not conform to keyframe. Drops early. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 24th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Volume does not conform to keyframe. Drops early.

Hello all.

I'm having a problem. I've set keyframes for particlular pieces of music and SFX to fade out with certain scenes.
However, once rendered, the volume does not follow the keyframe. It seems to come up with it's own version of how and where it would like to fade. Most cases it just drops out earlier than required.

Using PPro 1.5 on an Intel 3.0 with 2gig. Running XPSP2

Any ideas? Please?
Anthony Milic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Please help! It's driving me nuts!

Why does the music drop volume early? Everything seems straight forward. There are some tracks doing it.. some not. Some are just different speeds of the same track, and yet the problem affects some, but not others.

For some reason, the problem disappears temporarily if I move a keyframe or in some other way interact with it. If I, for example, move the keyframe, then undo action - the problem is gone. But of course if I save or render - it goes back to the early volume drop. So weird.. so frustrating.

Thanks.
Old January 25th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Is the audio a wav or mp3? I can't get any volume keyframes to work with mp3s. I've never had the same problem with a wav file. This is with Premiere Pro. My specs are identical to yours.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi there.

I'm using wma, wav & avi in this film, and each of them allows keyframes.
I've never had this odd problem before - Though apparently it's best to convert all audio to wav before importing to PPro.
The following 'link' may provide some answers for you. I really don't know why PPro would restrict keyframe application to the format your using.

http://ppro.wikicities.com/wiki/FAQ#...ormat_files.3F

I still can't discover why PPro is consistently playing sound contrary to the keyframe settings.. and only for a few sound files. Some are wma, some are wav.
Old January 30th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've also had some problems with Premiere and non-wav files (mostly with mp3 and wmv). Sometimes it just ignores the gain values and keyframes, though that problem is rare for me. Some rare mp3 files that play correctly in other software do not play at all in Premiere (they import but seem empty). The best solution is often to convert the audio files to wav.
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Milic
Hi there.

I'm using wma, wav & avi in this film, and each of them allows keyframes.
I've never had this odd problem before - Though apparently it's best to convert all audio to wav before importing to PPro.
The following 'link' may provide some answers for you. I really don't know why PPro would restrict keyframe application to the format your using.

http://ppro.wikicities.com/wiki/FAQ#...ormat_files.3F

I still can't discover why PPro is consistently playing sound contrary to the keyframe settings.. and only for a few sound files. Some are wma, some are wav.
I wasn't clear. Premiere didn't restrict the keyframes. The keyframes simply did not work. Fade in, fade out, level adjustments, nothing will work with mp3s with my setup. I've never had that problem with a wav.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

This is really driving me nuts. I had to submit the film with these problems unresolved. I'm getting back to working on the problem now, as I don't want to face this again in the future.

I'm going to describe a scenario in the hope that someone can shed some light.
I'm running P-Pro 1.5 on a PIV HT 3.0. 2 gig ram and running software from 1 200 gig HDD and AV clips from another 200 gig HDD.
It is a wav file. Let's call it '33.wav'
33.wav is 50 sec long.
33.wav audio gain is set to 3 dB.
There are 4 keyframe points.
K/F #1 is at 30 sec mark @ 0.00dB
K/F #2 is at 31 sec mark @ 4.95dB
K/F #3 is at 40 sec mark @ 4.95dB
K/F #4 is at 45 sec mark @ -238.14dB (muted).. (a problem perhaps?)

When rendered and played, the sound starts to reduce dramatically (between keyframes, for no discernable reason) at approx 35sec mark so that by the 37sec mark, it has muted.

If I move any of the keyframes anywhere, then 'Ctrl Z' (undo) my action/keframe movement, the sound plays as it should ie conforming exactly to the keyframes. Alas, once rendered it goes back to playing with the altered incorrect volume.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Anthony
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I think from what you are describing it is the same problem I had.

I posted it on the adobe forums, do a search for "Track automation doesn't always follow"

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w....4@.3bbd37a9/1

and told to log it as an official bug.

It only happens when using Video For Windows projects and is easily reproducable.
Robert Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it seems to be a similar problem, however I don't believe the issue is VFW related.
I presume VFW refers to the editing mode of a project? This is definitely DV.

Also, starting at certain points in the timeline does not make any difference.

I'll continue to pull out my (now) graying hairs..

Regards,

Anthony
Anthony Milic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite