exporting for web use (not using real media!) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 14th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Major Player

exporting for web use (not using real media!)

Hi, a friend of mine uses FCP on mac and when exporting a file intended to be viewed streaming he applies a certain quicktime effect/filter (the name of which escapes me) to ensure the video streams quickly. is there anything similar I can do in premiere without exporting as a horrid quality .rm file?
This might be partly down to the html coding of the website its going onto, but if anyone has a lot of experience on uploading videos to stream directly from web pages smoothly I'd appreciate the help!
thanks a lot
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Trustee

the picture quality of .rm video is outstanding... if your realmedia files look bad, it's an issue with your workflow, not the .rm codec.

at any rate, you need to be encoding in .wmv instead of .rm... have you tried doing that yet?

the single most important thing you can do is to learn how to optimize your encoding so that the picture quality vs. file size is the best that it can be... you want to serve up the smallest possible file sizes, regardless of the format.

that means always using 2-pass encoding, probably with vbr, and a good audio codec that will save you a bunch of bandwidth... i am currently encoding .wmv 9 video per the above... and .wmv 9.1 stereo audio at 32khz@32kbps, 2-pass cbr, that sounds really good.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Major Player

ok thanks for that. what settings do you use when you first create your file in premiere? or do you use another program? If i was creating a file for a website i'd be enclined to use either the video for windows or quicktime 320x240 settings. However when i export the finished product other than the settings button (allowing you to use preset settings) I cant see where you have the option to choose your own audio codec and settings etc. do you use another program for this?
Thanks
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Trustee

sorry i don't use premiere... worst case, you can export the edited dv avi from premiere, then open it up with the free downloadable windows media encoder, which should give you all of the important encoding parameters i listed above.

i'd stick with encoding nothing bigger than the 320x240 frame size, start off with the presets that are associated with that frame size... then start cutting the video bitrate, and comparing the picture quality differences... you should end up with at least 10 different .wmv files, all with slightly different sizes, as you experiment with the encoder... pick the one with the best balance between quality and file size.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Trustee

Quicktime 7's H.264 is the best thing out there right now; no need to look elsewhere. Your friend was probably talking about the "Optimize for streaming" check box.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite