DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   FX1 and Premiere Pro 2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/62021-fx1-premiere-pro-2-a.html)

Rafael Lopes March 3rd, 2006 02:09 PM

FX1 and Premiere Pro 2

I'm sorry I'm double posting but I really didn't know where would the best place to put this. I hope the moderators will take care of this.

Hi,

I was using Aspect Hd to capture the FX1 footage but the demo finished. Now I've been trying to capture HDV footage with premiere but the FX1 doesn't apear in the Sony Device Type. What I do is:
Device control: DV/HDV Device Control
Then I go to options
Video standar: Pal
Device Brand: Sony (I tried with Generic too)
Then on "Device type" the FX1 doesn't apear (I tried standard and alternate1 too)

The weirdest thing is that with these settings I can control the camera via firewire but I don't see anything (black screen). I thought it could be because the camera was in "auto" (DV/HDV) and I set it to HDV but the exact same thing happens.

Aspect HD is very nice but right now I can't afford to spend 400 bucks and I need to be able to edit HDV. Any suggestions?

Chris Barcellos March 3rd, 2006 02:38 PM

Try this:

1. Make sure you are connected via firewire, obviously.

2. On your camera, turn on by selectng switch to VCR

3. On your camera, select menu then in/out rec. Select i.link conv. Make sure it is set to off, otherwise, the camera will down convert to SD over firewire, and your HDV capture will not show anything but dark screen.

3. Open Adobe PP 2.0. Make sure when you open a new project and you select Adobe HDV 1080i30 (Sony 60i).

4. Start capture process. On my set up the, I have to monitor capture on camera LCD. So be sure it is open. If you are still not able to capture-- uninstall and reinstall PP 2.0

Miguel Lombana March 4th, 2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Try this:

1. Make sure you are connected via firewire, obviously.

2. On your camera, turn on by selectng switch to VCR

3. On your camera, select menu then in/out rec. Select i.link conv. Make sure it is set to off, otherwise, the camera will down convert to SD over firewire, and your HDV capture will not show anything but dark screen.

3. Open Adobe PP 2.0. Make sure when you open a new project and you select Adobe HDV 1080i30 (Sony 60i).

4. Start capture process. On my set up the, I have to monitor capture on camera LCD. So be sure it is open. If you are still not able to capture-- uninstall and reinstall PP 2.0

Chris I posted something in the HC1 forum and from your "experienced" answer I think that you might be able to answer me...

I've got no problems capturing HC1 footage into Pro 2.0 and editing it, it is supposed to be a large MP2 file right? OK the issue is DV passthru back out the firewire thru the camera and onto the component outs to my widescreen HD lcd tv monitor. Any experience on getting this to work, not sure if the HC1 and the FX1 are similar when it comes to the feature, but need to know if anyone has been able to do this at all, cause the only option that I get in external monitor out in Premier is to my 2nd LCD editing PC monitor, which is ok but lacking quite a bit.

Thanks in advance,
MIGUEL

Chris Barcellos March 4th, 2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel Lombana
Chris I posted something in the HC1 forum and from your "experienced" answer I think that you might be able to answer me...

I've got no problems capturing HC1 footage into Pro 2.0 and editing it, it is supposed to be a large MP2 file right? OK the issue is DV passthru back out the firewire thru the camera and onto the component outs to my widescreen HD lcd tv monitor. Any experience on getting this to work, not sure if the HC1 and the FX1 are similar when it comes to the feature, but need to know if anyone has been able to do this at all, cause the only option that I get in external monitor out in Premier is to my 2nd LCD editing PC monitor, which is ok but lacking quite a bit.

Thanks in advance,
MIGUEL

Don't have the HD monitor yet, though that is my next purchase. I have seen something talking about doing just what you are proposing, and I am expecting to do that. My recollectin is that to view the previews on your pass through that way, you have to make a selection in PPrp 2.0 to do so. I am trying to check it out. I'll post if I find out. Anyone else out there ?

Ron Evans March 5th, 2006 04:02 PM

HDV is not like DV. Pass through of HDV from the PC via iLink DOES NOT work in the same way as DV for any of the cameras. To see the output of the NLE you will need to have a HD monitor set up from the PC with an appropriate card from Canopus or some of the video cards that have a component out capability.

Ron Evans

Chris Barcellos March 5th, 2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans
HDV is not like DV. Pass through of HDV from the PC via iLink DOES NOT work in the same way as DV for any of the cameras. To see the output of the NLE you will need to have a HD monitor set up from the PC with an appropriate card from Canopus or some of the video cards that have a component out capability.

Ron Evans

This does not make sense to me since I can export my edited film back to my FX1 by firewire to tape, and I am able to monitor what I am shooting on my FX1 through my HD component out cables. Why wouldn't I be able to monitor what is comming through from the editor assuming the editor has that capability. I actually have a low end HD 17 inch monitor, and I will see if I can do it in some way, and reort back success or failure.

Chris Barcellos March 5th, 2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

This does not make sense to me since I can export my edited film back to my FX1 by firewire to tape, and I am able to monitor what I am shooting on my FX1 through my HD component out cables. Why wouldn't I be able to monitor what is comming through from the editor assuming the editor has that capability. I actually have a low end HD 17 inch monitor, and I will see if I can do it in some way, and reort back success or failure.

So far Ron appears to be correct. Treating your HD monitor s a second ystem monitor may be best method. In Vegas, you can render the project, then select manual deck control, and you can then view on HD monitor without actually recording. I can monitor on HD Monitor only when recording finished project back to camera in Premiere Pro 2.0. Of course tape through camera to the monitor is about the only current distributiion method any way, so you would just need to record your project to the tape and then play it on camera

Ron Evans March 5th, 2006 08:00 PM

FOr DV the camcorders are able to convert realtime in either direction from analogue to digital or digital to analogue. As far as I am aware the HDV camcorders can only playback from tape or the camera head NOT from an iLink input. IF you have converted to DV proxy on the timeline then you will be able to use the camcorder to see the results( they will be DV) but to go to HD you will need either to go to tape or render and view on HD monitor as in my previous post.

Ron Evans

Miguel Lombana March 5th, 2006 11:17 PM

Quote:

FOr DV the camcorders are able to convert realtime in either direction from analogue to digital or digital to analogue. As far as I am aware the HDV camcorders can only playback from tape or the camera head NOT from an iLink input. IF you have converted to DV proxy on the timeline then you will be able to use the camcorder to see the results( they will be DV) but to go to HD you will need either to go to tape or render and view on HD monitor as in my previous post.

Ron Evans

Thanks Ron you confirmed what I believed to be correct but wanted to make sure it wasn't something in my equipment. I have a 17" WS HD LCD that will accept DVI, so I think that I can take the 2nd output from my video card and feed it to the monitor, but that will only give me the video playback similar to what I'm seeing on my NEC LCD now, it would just likely be a little better quality. The issue there is obvious, I just lost 50% of my editing real estate which as you know is crucial to get the job done in Premier or Avid etc.

I just guess that it's the way it works is just going to have to sufice, but damn it would really make sense and make it so easy to be able to pump it back out the 1394 to the component cable, realtime preview on an HD monitor would really rock.

Thanks again guys.
Miguel

Ron Evans March 6th, 2006 07:21 AM

Yes going to HD is a bit like going back to the beginning of NLE. Final output always needs to be rendered, then played out to tape etc. Very time consuming. So far I have used Canopus Edius with the output set to DV so that I can monitor through my DVRaptor RT2 card to a TV monitor. Then when happy change project presets to HDV and render. With the newer Canopus card it is possible to run the project in the Canopus Intermediate HQ format ( bit like Cineform for Edius) and view a true HD image through the component outputs on the card. EDiting HDV is much faster using an intermediate like Cineform or Canopus HQ. Realtime editing is possible with these intermediates and output is also easier but one has to convert during capture or after capture to this intermediate format which uses bigger file sizes in creating an intraframe rather than interframe file.
I am waiting for an integrated card like my DVRaptor RT2 that will do hardware conversion before I upgrade!!!

Ron Evans

Miguel Lombana March 6th, 2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

I am waiting for an integrated card like my DVRaptor RT2 that will do hardware conversion before I upgrade!!!

Ron Evans

I've got one too and I'm standing in line for them to get off their a**es but I'm not holding my breath, that company has really gone down hill in the 2 years that I've owned my Raptor RT2. I've been very vocal about that with their sales and support staff, but they don't care. Don't know if you realized it or not but they outsourced the sale of Video FX to Adobe. I picked up the new version a few weeks ago and after ordering from Canopus they sent an email saying they no longer support or sell the product and pointed me to the Adobe site. Incredible!!!

Have a great day... MIGUEL

BTW, I'm curious to know if what you're doing with Edius and Raptor are possible with Premier and Raptor?

Rafael Lopes March 15th, 2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

I'm using Premiere Pro 2.0 and I cannot export my edited film back to my FX1. How do you do it? This is how I tried and failed:
-Connected the firewire
-Set the VCR mode on the FX1
-Set the camera to HDV in
-Then I tried playing the video on the timeline, I tried "export to tape", I tried playing the video in an external player

Nothing works. A blue screen apear on the FX1s LCD. I absolutely need to export to tape because many clients, broadcast stations, festivals demand a copy on tape.

Chris Barcellos March 15th, 2006 03:09 PM

Rafael:

Its sounds like to me that PPro 2.0 is not "seeing" the FX1. I just tried it with a short video, and as soon as I selected export to tape, a screen comes up and asks if iI want to render and record. I say okay, and it launches to the render. I assume you started your project in the standard HDV preset project.

Can you give particulars of exactly what you have been doing start to finish. Noone can help without a bit more detail.

I can tell you:

Export to tape is only way to get it back to the FX1.

My PPro seems to detect FX1 automatically. In fact, when you tell it to export, it launches the render process, and you can only control it by hitting a cancel button.

With older versions of Premiere, in DV, I recall you had to have your camera on before starting program, but I don't think 2.0 requires that, so I'm thinking the Program is not getting notification that FX1 is there. Would seem strange if you were able to capture from it, though. Could be a firewire problem or firewire driver issue, too.

Rafael Lopes March 16th, 2006 05:32 AM

Yesterday I managed to export to tape directly from the HDV timeline, but I had to set the FX1 VCR to SD. I found out what I was doing wrong. There's a place where you have to choose your "export output" (or something like that) and mine only has SD ntsc or pal...it should also have HDV or something equivalent. It's good to be able to save it in SD but now I really want to save to tape in HDV. When I get home I'll post step by step what I'm doing in Premiere Pro 2.0

Chris Barcellos March 16th, 2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Yesterday I managed to export to tape directly from the HDV timeline, but I had to set the FX1 VCR to SD. I found out what I was doing wrong. There's a place where you have to choose your "export output" (or something like that) and mine only has SD ntsc or pal...it should also have HDV or something equivalent. It's good to be able to save it in SD but now I really want to save to tape in HDV. When I get home I'll post step by step what I'm doing in Premiere Pro 2.0

When I start an HDV edit in PPro 2.0, I select the Adobe HDV preset. That should also activate output to HDV in the program. On your FX1 VCR mode menu setting, are you sure you don't have DV only selected ? I leave it set on auto so it can detect whatever is coming from computer-- I am guessing--- but maybe that has nothing to do with it.