Firewire cable length - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 13th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #16
Major Player

Wireless

Boy, it'll be neat the day they come out with a "wireless" FireWire. Just a little transmitter plug with the correct amount of pins and a receiver with pins but no wire in between. Maybe BlueTooth will come out with something like this some day. What do you all think? Could it ever be possible for digital video?
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #17
Serious Magic

In 2002, there were a number of announcements about a "Wireless FireWire" protocol but nothing ever came of it. I keep looking....
Karl Soule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #18
Major Player

here is an article that is about two years old on the subjuct of Wireless Firewires development. Must not be going too well as of yet.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20040511S0001
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #19
Inner Circle

OK, thought I'd report back!

I used DV Rack on the shoot but never got the opportunity to try out the 10m length with the adaptors!! Instead I was stuck in a tiny room with a 3m length with 4 pins on both ends.

So, can't report back on how usable the 10m cable + 6 to 4 pin adaptors was, sorry! I can confirm that it DOES work, though and I have since tried it in a number of environments, including near radio equipment and other electronics. No probs.

Still haven't found a UK supplier that can offer greater than 3 or 5 m lengths with 4 pins at both ends.

The usability experience was enough to make me go ahead and buy DV Rack, which I did from a US based eBay shop at a total cost of around £160 including FedEx delivery - a lot cheaper than list.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I just have to add that I appreciate all this information...especially since you guys took the time to report back to the forum about your successes!

Cheers, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #21
New Boot

Laird

We've had great success with Laird's 30' cable. They have different options with 4 and 6 pin. Not sure about UK suppliers.
The flimsy 4 pin is a bit of an issue. The upshot is that it disconnects more easily than the 6 pin in case someone trips on the cable, which could easily result in a tethered camera coming crashing to the ground. The downside is that the weight of the cable itself is too much over time for the flimsy connector. The cable sags and then eventually the adapter breaks apart. Our workaround was to wrap a loop of the cable around the battery, which takes the weight off the adapter. This of course negates the "easy disconnect" benefit of the 4 pin in the first place.
Anton Dembowski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite