Mixing NTSC and PAL format in the same edit. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 18th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Mixing NTSC and PAL format in the same edit.

I wanted to ask is it possible to mix both a NTSC cameras footage and a PAL format cameras on the same edit/timeline?
If you were to capture with say Premiere Pro each cameras footage on a seperate project, can the NTSC be exported out as a PAL AVI file so could be imported into a the other project and both mixed together in the same edit?
I know the DVD for either one can be made region free and thats no problem but I wanted to know if both can be worked on together?
Thanks
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

mixing PAL and NTSC will just give you trouble.
convert one and use a project either in PAL or NTSC.
Making a DVD region free does not change anything.
Regions are just silly BS from marketing dept.
there is no relation between region and content of disc. Since it is expected that region 1 is ntsc and region 2 is PAL, putting region 0 (no region) does not imply that the disc will be read into any equipment. People with NTSC only equipment will not be able to play a PAL DVD even if set to region 0.
If you can, you can provide your project on dual layer/side/disc with each element set with one version.
Usually all PAL owners are able to play NTSC.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #3
Trustee

When you create your Premiere project, you are required to specify either PAL or NTSC.

Then, when you import a mix of PAL and NTSC clips into the timeline, Premiere will detect one or other set of clips as requiring re-rendering to conform to your project specification.

Bottom line...you will end up with either PAL or NTSC when you render/export your final project.

(Also....Premiere is not really regarded as having a satisfactory NTSC-PAL conversion ability - Procoder for example does it much better.)
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #4
Major Player

I have read you can convert them in after effects, but is there a loss in quality when you do this or is the long and short, stick to one or the other and not mix?

Its a mate of mine who wanted to shoot a 2 camera training sesion but my camera is PAL and his is NTSC, he also wanted me to do 2nd camera for him at some weddings this year as well and I would be the one doing the editing but if the quality is lost maybe I should not bother at all, this is the main reason I wanted to ask.

Pro-coder is a very expensive program but probably the best, I have never used it before.
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

probably with the cost of time lost in conversion +the cost of the tools needed, you will find a cheap DV camera in the format you need.
The other solution is to get a SONY HDV Z1, able to shoot both PAL/NTSC.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite