DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   avi codecs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/63547-avi-codecs.html)

Nils Hoover March 23rd, 2006 02:31 PM

avi codecs

I am trying to save space on a project i am working on for fun and i need some help. I have a bunch of clips that i would like to use that are encoded with divx. When i import them into premier they preview fine but once i put them on the timeline no video shows up at all. in the past i just used vegas for similar projects but i have no desire for that this time. The reason i want to encode it is because i am going to be recieving some of the clips over the internet which would make it a very slow process if i did it with unencoded avi files. so my questions are:
1. is there any way to get divx to work correctly with 1.5.
2. if not what codec can i use to encode my files that will be no hassle to edit with in premier 1.5

Emre Safak March 23rd, 2006 02:39 PM

MPEG-2 is the best lossy codec to archive in, as it is so widely supported. Indeed, many applications can edit it natively.

Nils Hoover March 23rd, 2006 02:46 PM

i might consider that but im really looking for a codec for avi files. from my experience other file types besides the native one for the program take a long time to import and then you have to re render it later. Plus mpeg 2 is still a little larger than what the avrage avi codec gets it down to i believe. unless i have no idea what im talking about which is possible.

Graham Hickling March 24th, 2006 11:33 AM

For decent quality (but largish files) a mjpeg codec like PicVideo or MorganMultiMedia works well.

Xvid is arguably better than DivX (Doom9 did a codec shoot-out recently) ... and ran fine for me on PPro1.5.

Robert M Wright March 24th, 2006 12:22 PM

You might take the clips you receive via the net (or DivX files you already have saved), and convert them to DV for editing purposes.

I also prefer using Xvid to DivX.

Nils Hoover March 25th, 2006 01:07 PM

so i did try using xvid which did not work. but i had read on another forum some thing about changing the "fourcc" to DIVX instead of xvid. i dont know exactly what this does, im still encoding it with xvid but it seems to work. i dont know why having it on divx would work while no divx files work for me at all.

I have another question though, for these files i have to render them inorder to watch them smoothly. is this because they are compressed avi files? because i know i dont have to render normal avi files. does this happen with every codec?

Graham Hickling March 25th, 2006 01:37 PM

Playback of DV-codec or M-JPEG codec should be smooth a silk on any system ... playback of xvid, divx, wmv etc will be a bit more dependent on your processor's grunt