DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   when to color correct... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/64550-when-color-correct.html)

Josh Hoffman April 6th, 2006 10:14 PM

when to color correct...

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a video that will have quite a bit of special effects that need to blend in with the environment of the video.

Should I put the effects in the footage and have them incorporated with the original footage THEN color correct...

...or should I color correct then do all my graphics?

-Josh

Emre Safak April 6th, 2006 10:24 PM

First, I would ensure that the lighting on the SFX matches the footage as much as possible. Then I would do the color correction at the time of compositing (i.e., use a color correction filter when you insert an element into a shot).

Kevin Janisch April 7th, 2006 01:04 PM

Josh,

It is best to do your effects before color correction because any color correcting (especially miniDV) degrades the image quality and will essentially give you much less to work with in terms of resolution. Also consider the fact that if you did the effects work, composites, etc after color correcting and then you decide to tweek your color correcting (and chances are you will), then you'll have to redo the effects work to match the changes.

Kevin

Joshua Provost April 11th, 2006 11:43 AM

Kevin, color correcting in no way degrades the resolution. There is a limit to how far you can correct DV footage due to the limited colorspace, but resolution is not affected.

Josh... Personally, I like to treat my digital video as film. Film is color corrected after processing, before editing, though sometimes it has a final pass of color correction later. I color correct it prior to editing (or get the edit started and color correct the entire source footage later), so I am working with my final images as I edit. Much more enjoyable that way.

Whenever you do it, if you can ensure that your effects perfectly match what you are overlaying them on, you will be fine.

Kevin Janisch April 11th, 2006 08:19 PM

Well, let me clarify. If you color correct and crush your blacks, blow out highlights, or punch up your colors you may lose detail, detail that you may need to do convincing composites, etc.

Kevin

Miguel Lombana April 12th, 2006 09:00 PM

Color Correction Made Easy

Is there a tutorial or cheat sheet that anyone has come across or can help me with regarding how to correctly color correct.

I've used the white balance preset in my Canopus setup to fix a couple of disparit clips but I'd like to learn how to correctly color correct clips.

Anyone?
Miguel

Kevin Janisch April 13th, 2006 03:09 PM

"Color Correction for Digital Video" by Hullfish and Fowler is the one you want.

Herojig Gaton April 15th, 2006 07:26 AM

Using Color Finesse for color correction...

So I guess based in the info here, I should ? if using Sythentics Color Finesse...i was using it to get a more film like look on clips of people, and assumed the correction played out on all the clip's effects on the timeline. Is there anyone else here using this plugin for color correction?

And if anyone can point me in the right direction re: I am creating music videos that will eventually go to local TV channel. Do I do a broadcast color correction somewhere in the workflow? thanks!!!!
jigs

Emre Safak April 15th, 2006 08:37 AM

There is little that Color Finesse can do over your regular Curves tool to make your video look more film-like. CF simply makes it easier (I know I am simplifying). I assume we are talking about DV.