when to color correct... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #1
New Boot

when to color correct...

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a video that will have quite a bit of special effects that need to blend in with the environment of the video.

Should I put the effects in the footage and have them incorporated with the original footage THEN color correct...

...or should I color correct then do all my graphics?

-Josh
Josh Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Trustee

First, I would ensure that the lighting on the SFX matches the footage as much as possible. Then I would do the color correction at the time of compositing (i.e., use a color correction filter when you insert an element into a shot).
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Josh,

It is best to do your effects before color correction because any color correcting (especially miniDV) degrades the image quality and will essentially give you much less to work with in terms of resolution. Also consider the fact that if you did the effects work, composites, etc after color correcting and then you decide to tweek your color correcting (and chances are you will), then you'll have to redo the effects work to match the changes.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Kevin, color correcting in no way degrades the resolution. There is a limit to how far you can correct DV footage due to the limited colorspace, but resolution is not affected.

Josh... Personally, I like to treat my digital video as film. Film is color corrected after processing, before editing, though sometimes it has a final pass of color correction later. I color correct it prior to editing (or get the edit started and color correct the entire source footage later), so I am working with my final images as I edit. Much more enjoyable that way.

Whenever you do it, if you can ensure that your effects perfectly match what you are overlaying them on, you will be fine.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, let me clarify. If you color correct and crush your blacks, blow out highlights, or punch up your colors you may lose detail, detail that you may need to do convincing composites, etc.

Kevin
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Color Correction Made Easy

Is there a tutorial or cheat sheet that anyone has come across or can help me with regarding how to correctly color correct.

I've used the white balance preset in my Canopus setup to fix a couple of disparit clips but I'd like to learn how to correctly color correct clips.

Anyone?
Miguel
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #7
Major Player

"Color Correction for Digital Video" by Hullfish and Fowler is the one you want.
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Using Color Finesse for color correction...

So I guess based in the info here, I should ? if using Sythentics Color Finesse...i was using it to get a more film like look on clips of people, and assumed the correction played out on all the clip's effects on the timeline. Is there anyone else here using this plugin for color correction?

And if anyone can point me in the right direction re: I am creating music videos that will eventually go to local TV channel. Do I do a broadcast color correction somewhere in the workflow? thanks!!!!
jigs
Old April 15th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Trustee

There is little that Color Finesse can do over your regular Curves tool to make your video look more film-like. CF simply makes it easier (I know I am simplifying). I assume we are talking about DV.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite