DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   United Media's multi-cam plug-in............ (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/65629-united-medias-multi-cam-plug.html)

Bruce Pelley April 21st, 2006 03:11 PM

United Media's multi-cam plug-in............

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of Premiere and am trying to learn the basics of version 6.5 at present.I really need to have full access to multicam editing which is featured on Pro 2.0 but personal funds are limited so that option is out.Have any of you upgraded to 2.0 from either 6.0 or 6.5 (for example)which according to Adobes website costs $199? Pro 2.0 is really pricy to buy outright and too expensive for me.An upgrade path might be the way to achieve what's needed here.If I have an 6.5 installed....which I do,will the additional $199 solve the problem?What does Adobe require to upgrade to a higher version?

Another solution might be United Medias multi-cam which is around $110 or so,factoring in freight.It's compatible with Premiere 6.5.Have any of you used this plug-in and what do you think of it?Easy to use,pros and cons,money well invested,reccomended?

Any opinions,guidance offered,comments,thoughts or experiences are welcomed.

Thanks,
Bruce

Peter Jefferson April 22nd, 2006 07:58 AM

dude, we need tech specs of your current machine to be able to offer any advice..

with premiere however, i found out the hard way that if it aint broke, DONT fix it... well not me.. my clients...

If 6.5 is working for you, stick with it.. Multicam plugin isnt an actual plugin, its a standalone product (we distribute it here in aus) whereby your given either 2 or 4 cam optins (different prices) what u do is import this footage, do ur camera cuts, and save the cut as a premiere project then u just open that project as you would any premiere project...
In PPRo 2, its a little more efficient..

If u want good, (and free ) multicamming for the short term which will run on almost any system, i would recommend u try the Vegas 6 demo and grab a copy of the Vasst 2camera multicam script which is free.
For longer term ownership, then i would consider an upgrade of specs and SW to be able to run PremPro2... it really is a major imporvement on 6.5 in my opinion..

Bruce Pelley April 22nd, 2006 08:28 PM

Here are my system specs + a few questions

Peter!

Greetings to down under & thanks for you willingness to help.

I am running Windows XP Home edition,256 megs of ram (will soon be 1 gig),CPU is 2.66 Pentium 4 with 533 FSB.Storage is an external 160 gig Western Digital Firewire/USB combo drive which is dedicated to video.
Unfortunately,being almost brand new to the field of digital editing,I have no idea what a "Vasst 2 camera multicam script" is,how to obtain it,set-it up and put it to use! But you can be sure I'm very willing to learn.Is there a website that hosts it and would you be willing to help me get it up and running?Yes,my system is rather mediocre by todays standards,I'd rather be using a Mac with Final Cut Pro 5 but my budget is modest.

Thanks for the Vegas 6 demo suggestion and look forward to continuing this dialogue.

Bruce

Peter Jefferson April 24th, 2006 09:27 PM

alrighty, well with ur spec, vegas 6 will work fine, if only to use it for this multicamming task.. the plugin u want is from www.vasst.com and its actualy script (with a GUII) called doubletake

for prem pro 2, youd need that ram upgrade, but i dont see u having ay problems with running it once u have that ram, BUT you wont get boosted performance which PP2 offers, as this is all dependant on HT CPus and kick ass GFX cards.

If ur comfy with Premiere, i wouldnt bother jumping ship to mac land.. unless of course your going for a dual boot system to run Windows off MacOS from the same Hardware.. then youve got the best of both worlds..