Panasonic P2HD and Premiere Pro - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Kevin,

Just remember switching to FCP is a jump to MAC OS from PC. That may or may not be relevant if you have a lot of legacy programs that won't transfer.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #17
Major Player

Well, I'd get a machine just for editing... Since all I use now is After FX, Vegas, and DVD Architect (for editing anyways) I assume I'll just find another DVD authorer (or heck, once exported to mpg, I could just still use DVD Architect on the VT [4] machine...
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #18
Barry Wan Kenobi

I'm right there with you, Kevin. I *adore* Vegas, but if they don't announce DVCPRO-HD and DVCPRO-50 support, it looks like I'll be in the market for another NLE, whether FCP, Avid Express HD, Edius, I don't know. So part of the NAB venture this month will be to scope out the landscape for editing applications.

I can't *imagine* Vegas not adding support for this though.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #19
Major Player

I'm in the same boat. I have Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe hasn't been known for their fast response to customer demands.... which really sucks. Who knows though, maybe these NLEs will announce support at NAB?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Guys,

You have to understand where each companies paradigm comes from. I use Avid, and bought it because it has the best FILM CUTTING capabilities of any NLE. Avid comes to the table from a world of Feature Film cutting and HD editing. They still don't have HDV support, (though it's in the works for this July I believe.) Since they bought Pinnacle, it's not clear if they will use the pinnacle solution or some sort of hybrid solution.

In short, Avid has had HD support early, and will have HDV support later, because, that's what most editors who work with AVID needed.

Vegas was early on the HDV bandwagon, because they are focused on that market.

"The early bird get's the worm.... but it's the second mouse who gets the cheese."
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Since Vegas is rumored to support BlackMagic Design cards in Version 6 and the link showed BMD adding dvcpro HD support, then you will have at least one option. It could also mean 10/12bit support in Vegas finally.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #22
New Boot

I called Adobe tech support, and they say that without extra (3rd party) hardware, DVCPro HD editing ain't going to be pretty - if it works at all. They are gearing towards HDV, and don't have DVCPro HD codec.

That's bad news for me, as I've become a fan of Premiere Pro, and my work is on PC, not Mac.

Any comments?
Uri Blumenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #23
Regular Crew

What about Premiere Pro?

Can DVCPRO be edited on PPro? I don't really want to switch NLE's....
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #24
Inner Circle

well the Digisuite running Prem6.5 does an incredible job of running multiple streams of DVCPro50, so i dont see the Axio having issues running dvcprohd... i too dont particularly want to use Prem Pro, so if it becomes a toss up of swtiching NLE's, id prolly end up using Avid instead...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

If there's support for the MXF file format, then that's one step closer to DVCPRO HD.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #26
New Boot

DVCPRO HD in Premiere Pro?

We are a pretty well established Premiere Pro shop. We have some interest in the Panasonic AG-HVX200 camera for doing some HD acquisition. What kind of a workflow would we need in order to edit the DVCPRO HD clips that are recorded on either the P2 cards or an external Firestore device on a Premiere Pro timeline?

I know there is the Matrox Axio, but it's out of our price range.

I know that you can't just drag the DVCPRO HD files from the Firestore into the Premiere Timeline.

We would like to use the Cineform codec with Premiere, but how would we convert DVCPRO HD into Cineform? Is that even worth while?

Can we play the HD media off the camera and bring it in over firewire for ingest into Premiere into the Cineform codec?

Is it possible to playback the files off the camera or the Firestore and somehow convert it into an HD-SDI signal for ingest into a Premiere workstation with an HD-SDI capture card?

Thanks!
Jeremy
Jeremy M West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #27
Major Player

Try this:
http://www.dvfilm.com/raylight

I was able to convert and import some 1080i MXF files into Premiere with this. Only problem was that Premiere was quite sluggish. But it does work and you could export to other formats if desired. I think the production version of this software is coming out around the middle of the month. $195 isn't too bad.
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Phillip - Can you share your computer specs for us? I am interested in seeing how much juice it is going take to use Raylight with Premiere.
Jim Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Exton
Phillip - Can you share your computer specs for us? I am interested in seeing how much juice it is going take to use Raylight with Premiere.
Its a dual core 2.8 Gig processor with 1 Gig ram and 7200rpm SATA system drive. XP SP2. I built this last week as my dedicated video machine, so its a fresh OS load and not bogged down with registry clutter. This same machine plays HD quicktime files without a hiccup.

When I play the proxy AVI files through Media Player I'm only getting a couple of fps too. That's with the raylight quality setting on "high". If I set it to low the files play back a lot smoother in Media Player, but they're crashing out Premiere at that setting. Maybe there's just something on my box that doesn't like raylight.
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #30
Major Player

Maybe converting to Cineform Avi and using Aspect HD with Premiere is a better option? The other application on dvfilm.com do convert to Cineform.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite