DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   I'm all set up...now what? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/68741-im-all-set-up-now-what.html)

Nick Vaughan June 2nd, 2006 01:49 PM

I'm all set up...now what?

I have my XL2, I have my AMD 64X2 4400+, I have premiere pro 2.0, 2GB system, over 400 gb hdd, radeon x1900xtx, the whole shabanga-bang.

Adobe is the hardest thing to cope with. I have a few questions.

1. When I capture full res 16:9, is it going to capture to the highest quality AVI? I don't have to worry about setting it to capture at a higher rate or anything, right?

2. With that being said, I captured a few things in PP2.0, and I was surprised with some quality issues. When I hooked the camera up to a TV for analog playback, the quality was better than the playback I got from the captured AVI. Is it my high-res CRT monitor showing me all of the things that suck about the video, or were my expectations just too high for the XL2? I mean, obviously the video looks nice, the colors are crisp, but there is something about the resolution that just doesn't seem right.

3. My computer runs everything extremely fast, which is a little bit strange. I thought that it would at least hiccup in some spots with PP2.0, but it just seems like it's not having any problems. Is this normal? It seems like PP2.0 isn't working as hard as it should...and I want to make it.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

~Nick

Christopher Lefchik June 2nd, 2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Vaughan
1. When I capture full res 16:9, is it going to capture to the highest quality AVI? I don't have to worry about setting it to capture at a higher rate or anything, right?

As long as you choose one of the DV presets, you'll be fine.

Quote:

2. With that being said, I captured a few things in PP2.0, and I was surprised with some quality issues. When I hooked the camera up to a TV for analog playback, the quality was better than the playback I got from the captured AVI. Is it my high-res CRT monitor showing me all of the things that suck about the video, or were my expectations just too high for the XL2? I mean, obviously the video looks nice, the colors are crisp, but there is something about the resolution that just doesn't seem right.

Don't ever use the preview window in an editing application for critical analysis. Use an external TV/broadcast monitor. If it looks good on the external monitor (provided it's a properly calibrated broadcast monitor), then it is good.

Quote:

3. My computer runs everything extremely fast, which is a little bit strange. I thought that it would at least hiccup in some spots with PP2.0, but it just seems like it's not having any problems. Is this normal? It seems like PP2.0 isn't working as hard as it should...and I want to make it.

I'm not quite sure I understand. Everything's running perfectly smoothly...and you're not happy with just that?

My advice: If it's running perfectly well, don't mess with success.

Nick Vaughan June 2nd, 2006 03:16 PM

Well, in regards to the preview window, I was actually playing the captured AVI in Windows Media Player. I know the preview window is going to be dumbed down.

Christopher Lefchik June 2nd, 2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Well, in regards to the preview window, I was actually playing the captured AVI in Windows Media Player.

Well, how was I to know? ;-)

Open Windows Media Player and go to Tools > Options and choose the Performance tab. Click "Advanced..." and under Video Acceleration try checking the "Use High Quality Mode" option. See if that improves the quality of your DV files.

Regardless, a computer monitor doesn't display video in the same way as a TV monitor does. A broadcast monitor, or at the very least a TV, is a must for checking your footage if you are serious about video editing.

Nick Vaughan June 2nd, 2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
Well, how was I to know? ;-)

Open Windows Media Player and go to Tools > Options and choose the Performance tab. Click "Advanced..." and under Video Acceleration try checking the "Use High Quality Mode" option. See if that improves the quality of your DV files.

Regardless, a computer monitor doesn't display video in the same way as a TV monitor does. A broadcast monitor, or at the very least a TV, is a must for checking your footage if you are serious about video editing.

Shoulda let you know! Sorry about that.