Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old December 27th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Ram for Preimere

I have 512 Meg of ram , Will increasing it to 1 Gig make any diffrence to the performance Premirer 6.5 ?
Thank you
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Thomas
More is always better in my (somewhat limited) experience. I was at 512, then went to 1 Gig back when I was using Premiere 6.0. It did make a difference--less hiccups, general better performance overall, less work for the hard drive(s).

Actually, I just ordered another 512 stick of Ram--going to be at 1.5 gigs soon. That should tell you what I think of more memory--the more the merrier. Plus, the price of the memory I use has come down about 20USD in the past 2 months.
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #18
Inner Circle

You are going to get a very small performance increase if all your DIMMs are identical and in pairs. Ideal setups would be 2 identical DIMMs and 4 identical DIMMs. The difference is somewhere in the range of a few percent (like the difference between a Pentium 3.2 and 3.0). You probably will not notice the difference.

However having more RAM can give a HUGE performance increase, but only when the RAM is a bottleneck. When you run out of RAM your computer has to use the hard drive, which is slower than RAM by a factor of 60 or so.

I don't use Premiere 6.5 often (Pro, Vegas, Avid, FCP are all much better) so I don't know if it is a bottleneck if your system.
Old December 28th, 2003, 01:50 PM   #19
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : but only when the RAM is a bottleneck -->>>

How can this be determined?

Also, my motherboard only has 3 slots for Ram (Asus P4PE). Does this mean that my best performance is only obtainable with 2, and not 3 sticks of memory?
Old December 28th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Also, my motherboard only has 3 slots for Ram (Asus P4PE). Does this mean that my best performance is only obtainable with 2, and not 3 sticks of memory?
Oops I didn't think about AMD processors. The manual for that Asus board might say what the best performaning RAM setup is. It does for my Asus p4p800 (Intel 865PE chipset).

From what I gather, dual channel (2 identical sticks in the right slots) on AMD board makes very little difference unless you are running integrated graphics. If you already have one stick then I suppose you might as well find another stick of the same model.

Quote:
<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : but only when the RAM is a bottleneck -->>>

How can this be determined?
Hmm I'm not sure how to check RAM usage.
Old December 28th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #21
Regular Crew

The Asus P4PE is an Intel 845 chipset board. I have a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz running in it.
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #22
Major Player

dvx-100a and premier pro - rendering?

Hello.
i have been playing with my new camera and i don't understand why if i just take a clip that i shot and put it in premiere pro i have to render it.

just straight footage, no effect/transitions etc.

i did shoot it in 24p but not in 24p advanced.

i almost posted this in the dvx-100 forum but i just know it would have been moved in here anyway, so hopefully someone has a dvx-100 and understand what i mean by 24p non advanced and 24p advanced...

i am using a canopus raptor rt2 card and my project settings are the straightford 29.97

matthew
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:50 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Premiere "RED" bleed crap

I'm trying to do in AFX in which a photoshop is animated....nothing fancy. However, I'm very aware of the color bleed when using a certain pigment of red. Just when I thought I found the winning combination i.e. no bleed, I brought my uncompressed AVI title into Premiere and rendered it. The static letters look fine but the animated ones look crappy. Does anybody know a pigment of red that I can use in Photoshop so my animated letters in AFX wont look like crap when I put them on the timeline in Premiere?

Thanks

Seth Peterson
www.sundevilpictures.com
www.govbot.net
Old December 31st, 2003, 11:58 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Location: Augusta georgia 15min. from Aiken S.Carolina and 2 hours from Atlanta
time remapping in after effects and premiere for music video

what would be some of you all's recipe for doing time remapping? i want to use slow down to speed up clips as inserts in a music video. each clip would probably be only 3 sec. i want to get them on beat.

i'm thinking that i can edit it in premiere, cut a 3 second audio file plus a 3 sec video clip, export it to after effects and then adjust the footage without adjusting the audio, then i can just bring it back into premiere and match it's audio to the original spot where i clipped it and then the time remap should be the way i want it.

by the way i plan on using twixtor
Old December 31st, 2003, 06:16 PM   #25
New Boot

Help Premiere Pro Problem

Some background
I use a toshiba laptop, and for firewire connections i use a pcmia card that has two firewire A ports.

right now i have my dv camera attached to one port and an external HDD conneted to the other port.

1) how bad would this be?
2) when i try to capture in premiere it always gives me the "maximum filesize exceeded" error, what am i to do?

thank u for ur help in advance.
Old December 31st, 2003, 11:50 PM   #26
Regular Crew

What's the length of the video you're trying to capture? And what file system are you using? (Fat32, NTFS). I know Fat32 has a 4gig limit, which might be the cause.
Old January 1st, 2004, 05:04 AM   #27
Major Player

Ligos MPEG plugin for Premiere 6

Hi,

does anyone use this plugin to do their encoding? If so I would really be keen to know what the best settings would be for maximum quality. I never do anything more than 1 hour so can afford max quality. I am a PAL user but that will only affect on or two settings.

Thanks
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Old January 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM   #28
Major Player

MPEG-2 settings in various encoders are mostly the same so you should get some help from this link: http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html
It describes settings in TMPGEnc but I've found it useful in other encoders, like the Main Concept plug-in in Premiere 6.5.

David Hurdon
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:29 AM   #29
Major Player

Thanks David will go check it out.

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:44 AM   #30
RED Code Chef

To the best of my knowledge (when I looked at Ligos years ago)
it doesn't have that many settings. Bitrate is the main factor in
quality. If it does VBR encoding than that's better as well.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite