Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:21 PM   #301
Regular Crew

Ed,
Volume-wise, the timeline audio is always fine, but the music does offset itself by a fraction of a beat sometimes while I'm working on it, and also sometimes if I go back to the project after closing it out. The audio that goes with the video clips is actually fine; it's the mixed audio bites that are going off thier timing with each other.

This is the first time I've actually mixed audio samples using Premiere's timeline. I usually mix the audio songs and samples together in Cool Edit and just import it into Premiere as a final wav file, but I wanted to try using Premiere's timeline this time. Is it just not stable enough to do critical-timed mixes?

I have Sonic MyDVD bundled with the Pioneer A04 drive I have, but I haven't authored with it yet, I only previewed the wav file that Premiere made with Windows Media Player. The associated video file looked fine. There was an option to auto-start Pinnacle Impressions when I initially exported the project but I didn't enable it.

To tell you the truth, I'm pretty new at the whole authoring thing. Up until now I've just been exporting the timeline back to the DV camera for playback since our DV500 card was down for awhile when I couldn't even install the drivers containing the mpeg export feature without seriously screwing up Premiere. BTW, thanks for all the past help with that problem.
Old April 4th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #302
New Boot

Premiere & After Effects Comaptability?

Just last week I was running Premiere 6.5 and After Effects 5.5 without problem. I upgraded to Premiere Pro and now when I boot AE it crashes after loading up. I then decided to uninstall After Effects 5.5 and installed the version 6.0 tryout and I get exactly the same problem, it crashes as soon as the shell has loaded up.

Anyone else experienced this? I haven't yet tried uninstalling Premiere Pro and I actually still have Premiere 6.5 installed, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
Old April 4th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #303
Major Player

I run Pro and AE 6 together all the time without any crashes.
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #304
Regular Crew

Looks like it could be a conflict if you have both PPro and P6.5 installed at the same time. Uninstall them and reinstall PPro only.
Should work fine with AE 5.5 and AE 6.
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #305
New Boot

Well I uninstalled everything but it turned out to be WindowBlinds, a programme that changes the GUI (skin) of the windows environment. When I unloaded it, After Effects worked fine.
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #306
Major Player

Glad you got it figured out Richard.

I learned long ago that it seems to be a good idea to not have anything on my editor that doesn't need to be there.

Essential software only.
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #307
New Boot

I-Frame pulsation

The cause of pulsating video was I-frame pulsation. Do a google search if this sounds like a problem you are experiencing. I fixed by it by using CBR instead of VBR.
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:45 AM   #308
New Boot

premiere keeps asking for a old file

When I open my project, Premiere asks for a file I no longer use in the project. I think it was accidentally deleted as I don't use it.

Anyway... no it's asking me for the file and I can't see a way to tell it to never ask again. Any thoughts?
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #309
Major Player

There are a couple of ways to deal with this. Save as. Save the file under a new name without making copies of the preview files. If it still asks you to locate the mystery file upon reopening, click on "offline" and it should stop asking.

Second way is to go to your bin list and "delete unused". The downside to this is that you will have to reestablish any files that you wanted to use later.

Third way would be to use the "project trimmer". This condenses your work by cutting off all the source avi files in the anticipation that your cuts are perfect and you are going to soon delete the source files.

The first option is likely the best.

In the old days, (pre xp), we were regularly encouraged to delete the prem60 file from the adobe program files to restore sanity to the system. I am not so sure if this does anything to help, as I have not done this in over a year.
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #310
Regular Crew

Over Exposed Stills in Premiere v6.01

I have been meaning to post this for some time now...

When I edit stills together and export them into a new AVI file all of them are approx 20% over exposed. I'm not sure why, but when I go back into Premiere and turn the stills down to black (by 20%) it fixes the problem.

Visually it is only noticeable when scanned photos are fairly bright. One example is to import a photo of a snowy landscape, in my case the snow would blow out in Premiere to pure white and loose all its detail.

Has anyone noticed this too... and if so, is there a fix for this?

Regards,
Jack
Old April 12th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #311
Regular Crew

Why do my DVDs look so poor compared to my source AVI?

When I look at the AVI captures from my GL2 they look great, "broadcast quality". But the DVDs I create from them, using Premiere Pro, are nowhere near as good :(

What "Export to DVD" settings should I use to maximize picture quality? Maximize Bitrate?

Thanks,
Ming
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:26 AM   #312
Wrangler

Hi Jack,

Thats an interesting problem... I've never come across that type of thing before.

Are there any effects applied to the still? does it just happen if you have the still on its own in its own project? is it OK when you export back to tape or view on a TV?

You don't by any chance have the gamma turned down? What AVI settings are you using? and what size, and type of stills did you use?

You might want to upgrade to version 6.5 or pro if your system will allow it?

Interesting to see if anybody else has this problem?

Thanks,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:31 AM   #313
Wrangler

Hi Ming,

Can you tell us what settings you are using? How long is your production?

Generally speaking using 7Mbits on a constant bit rate should yeald broadcast results.

Increasing the bitrate will increase the quality, but will also increase the size and so depending on how long your production is will depend on how much you can increase the bitrate. However increasing the bitrate too much can decrease its compatibility in certain DVD settop players.

If you can list your settings then we can try and work from there.

Thanks,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old April 13th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #314
Major Player

If you don't want to upgrade you might try the free 6.02 patch. Before I went to 6.5 I found it solved a number of problems in 6.01

David Hurdon
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #315
Regular Crew

Ed-
I have just done some tests, and it looks like it may be the Pinnacle codec. I did a test export using the Microsoft DV AVI codec and it didn't have the problem.

To answer your questions:
1, I use no effects/gamma adjustments on the stills and the problem is evident on both the PC monitor and TV monitor.

2, The stills I use are flat PSD (photoshop) files that are sized at PAL 720 x 576 pixels.

I use standard settings:
Video Settings
Compressor: Pinnacle AVI DV
Frame Size: 720 x 576
Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV PAL (1.067)
Frame Rate: 25.00
Depth: Millions, Quality: 100%

Audio Settings
Rate: 48000, Format: 16 - Stereo
Compressor: Uncompressed

Rendering Options
Field setting: Lower Field First

But one weird thing occured during the tests... when I positioned the timeline cursor on the still, it was over-exposed (as per the problem), but when I gave focus to another application such as Windows Explorer and then came back to Premiere the still looked ok (not over-exposed) inside Premiere's Timeline (right hand side) Monitor. Also, if I try to export a TIFF from a still that's on the timeline, it exports perfect... the TIFF and PSD look identical, (so this also beats me?)

Anyway like I said at first, it looks like it may be the Pinnacle codec... is there a way to reinstall a codec?

David-
I will try it out... will keep you posted if I have any luck.

Cheers,
Jack
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite