Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old June 5th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #571
Major Player

I went over to the Premier forum on the Adobe site based on this thread and found the question was posed there at one time, the tech supporters answered with:

"Frame mode on the Canon camcorder is transparent to Premiere -- the camcorder still records two fields, it just happens that the two fields come from the same buffer & there is no time delay between them. So Premiere edits it just like any other DV stream."

Which makes me feel better since I've never messed with the defaults and attempted to setup progressive for capture and project setttings.

Thanks for the help Rob...
Old June 5th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #572
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Capture should not bother your footage. Make sure your project
settings are not set to interlaced but to progressive. Make sure
you export the final movie in progressive as well. -->>>

Is this setting also available in Premiere 6.5? I cannot use Premiere Pro as my DV500 is not supported.

Thanks,
Tony
Old June 5th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #573
Regular Crew

Gorgeous, Thanks Rob. :)
Old June 5th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #574
Regular Crew

Hey Rob I use Premier 6.5 how do I change my setting to progressive form 4:9 interlaced, do you know by any chance?
Old June 5th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #575
Regular Crew

fade to white in premiere pro

a dumb question, how to fade to white in premiere pro? i mean, like, to use fade white as a tansition between the frames

thanks...
Old June 6th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #576
Trustee

Just place a white matte on top of the cut and fade it in and out.
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #577
Wrangler

You could also use the brightness control with keyframes. Simply apply the effect and a few keyframes and then 'ramp' the effect (normal at the beginning to overexposed - white at the end). Bare in mind though there will be a slight colour change while it is ramping up to white.

That should also work...

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #578
New Boot

XP WDM capture driver with Premiere

Hello all.

I'm having a problem getting an older version of Premiere (v5.0) to open/import files captured on a new XP media center system. Likewise it can't see the connected XL1 device. I think that XP is using the WDM capture driver.

Before I upgrade to newer version of Premiere I'd like some reason to believe that this problem will be solved.

So the question is .. does this set-up work: XP + generic 1394 + WDM capture driver + Premiere 6.5 or Pro?

thanks - L
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #579
Wrangler

Hi Lorraine,

A few things to try/ bare in mind:

1) Download DVR-Ripper from here: http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx. THis will convert the file into an MPEG stream, which Premiere should be able to use. I have not tried it so can not say that it works.

2) When you connect your XL1 to the computer, does Win MCE see the camera? It should appear as a canon device in my computer?

3) Adobe Premiere 5 is not supported on WinMCE or Win XP.

4) The UDM capture driver is probably not supprted in P5 and I doubt that it is supported in Premiere PRO. I think they need to use the Microsoft DV compliant capture driver with Win XP Home/ pro.

5) Did you get any error messages? What happens when you import the file?

I doubt that there are many people using MCE as an NLE platform, So I doubt that many people would have come across your problem. You might want to try The Green Buttons forum (found from the link above.

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old June 7th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #580
Trustee

Rendering is much faster from Premiere if you use the same codec it came in at. That is, if you brought the footage in as DV, send it out as a DV based AVI file. If you turn off "recompression" in the output, it is pretty fast except for the effects that need rendered.

From there, Encore can handle the AVI files and do any conversion it needs as part of it's process. You can start that and go to bed. When you get up, finished DVD.

PS, the new version of EncorDVD will finally be able to use QuickTime. Yipee.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Old June 8th, 2004, 04:43 AM   #581
RED Code Chef

This is easy to explain Lorraine. The world of DV runs under
DirectShow on the Windows platform. Premiere 5.0 does *NOT*
support DirectShow in any way. So no DV devices etc. The only
way this would work is to get a third party VFW (Video for Windows)
codec or a dedicated hardware board.

An upgrade to Premiere 6.5 (or perhaps better yet Premiere Pro 1.5)
is definitely going to solve that problem. Garantueed.

So yes, that will definitely work (your last line).

There are ofcourse also other NLE's out there...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 8th, 2004, 05:02 AM   #582
Tourist

new version of EncorDVD will finally be able to use QuickTime

It's really nice to hear about the new version of Encore. What about Prem Pro 1.5, has it got quick time filters.

Indian
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #583
New Boot

Ed & Rob

Thank you very much for your excellent replies.

I didn't really expect 5.0 to work yet it's good to know about the greenbuttons website and that an upgrade to 6.5 or Pro will work. Exactly the info I needed!

- Lorraine
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #584
Major Player

premiere pro 1.5 supports 24p

good news peeps, premiere pro 1.5 now supports 24p(panasonic dvx100ap)
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/main.html

woops i guess there are already threads on this..bah..
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #585
Wrangler

Some notes about 1.5 . . .

This may save others some trouble as they migrate to 1.0/1.5 from 6.0/6.5:

1. Deflicker

I'd been using the Donald Graf deFlicker plug-in for Virtual Dub to remove the 50 Hz flicker of outdoor lights at night in Europe and Asia. Premiere 1.0/1.5 installed DirectX version 9 (like it or not). There is some conflict, either between DirectX9 itself or residual components from DirectX8, that causes the deFlicker plug-in to fail. I tried TinderBox deflicker, both stand-alone and as a plug-in for Premiere 1.5. It will install under 1.5, but doesn't work correctly. However, either as plug-in or stand-alone, it is not effective at removing 50 Hz flicker from portions of clips. I finally tried the MSU deficker plug-in for Virtual Dub (not easy to find, but available). It has a Graf emulation mode which works just as well as the Graf plug-in. So . . . it's back to VDub with MSU, but at least I can now remove 50 Hz flicker again.

2. Steadying clips

I tried Steadymove plug-in provided with Premiere in 1.5, but found the results rather poor. I tried Steadymove Pro and discovered that it wasn't compatible with 1.5 -- it produces a black clip. My solution was to go back to the old reliable Dynapel Steadyhand stand-alone. This produces nice steadied clips, but at the expense of a fair amount of artifacting. I got around this by steadying the clip and then importing it back to Premiere 1.5, applying, in order, the Premiere De-artifact effect, followed by the Premiere Unsharp mask. The result is a little soft, but quite pleasing for short shots. Of all the steadying software I've tried, Dynapel gives the smoothest results (though it takes a fair amount of time to process). The Dynapel program has a DV Codec which can be read by Premiere 1.5 and, at least on my monitor, produces steadied clips of identical quality to uncompressed AVI.

3. Color correction

I shoot a lot of night stuff under outdoor illumination in Europe. Lighting tends to be either sodium vapor (which is orange), mercury vapor (which is purple) or some new light which has a much more natural color temperature. Using Premiere 1.5's RGB correction, I can get a pretty good color match of clips shot under these diverse lighting conditions -- they don't look the same, but they blend much better. Good stuff!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite