Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old August 4th, 2004, 04:11 AM   #841
Regular Crew

sorenson3 and mp3

I am working with adobe premiere pro.
I want to render a quicktime movie with Sorenson3 for video and mp3 for audio. I have seen impressing good results with that.

I have 2 questions:

1. How can i render mp3 audio together with sorenson3 for quicktime in Premiere?? The choise is not there! The mp3 encoder codec is on my PC.

2. The stdrd settings in Premiere for Sorenson are not optimal.
I want B-frames enabled and "FrameDroping" disabled.
I could not find a registry setting for that ( may be I was looking wrong ).
Do you have any suggestions how to change that in the regsitry or any ini-file or settingsfile?
Old August 4th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #842
Trustee

i've done a lot of editing with premiere 6.5, and i've never had those kinds of lag problems.

the fact is that how much total raw footage you have in the bin can't possibly be a factor, because it's not being accessed by premiere... it's just a series of links sitting there... if you are talking about putting 6 hours of footage directly in the timeline, you really should break up the edit into manageable lengths, regardless of what editor you are using.

one thing i always do with premiere is turn off the audio waveform re-draw feature... and how many undo levels do you have selected?

another thing to consider is how many total edits you have in the timeline, audio/video/graphics added together... 200? 400? 600 even?

some of the old video editing software programs simply couldn't handle hundreds upon hundreds of edits reliably.
Old August 5th, 2004, 02:19 AM   #843
New Boot

Colour Correction problems

Hello,
can anyone help?

1. I colour corrected a dv movie (shot in PAL format) using NTSC standards (In Premiere Pro). I used the waveform and vectorscope as guides, making sure the IRE values were between 7.5 and 100. I also enabled the video limiter option. However after rendering, I noticed to my dismay that the waveforms had changed and were not within the above stated IRE values and the video limiter checkbox was deselected on some clips. What's even more bizarre is that the clips appeared colour corrected but its just the waveforms that were out of wack.

Any ideas on what could have caused this and possible solutions?

2. I've got another question: my footage was shot in PAL format and I was wondering whether I should colour correct for PAL or NTSC standards for viewing in both North America and Europe.

thanks
Old August 5th, 2004, 02:20 AM   #844
New Boot

Separating audio tracks into separate channels

Hi,
I'm working on video project with about 6 - 7 audio tracks in Premiere Pro, consisting of music, dialogue and sound effects. I'd like to know if there’s a way to select which tracks should be on either the left or right channel in the final mixing process. So that for example the dialogue can be on one channel and the rest of the audio tracks on another for dubbing into other languages later on. The final output will be on either DV or Beta tape.

Thanks
Old August 5th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #845
New Boot

Audio question

Hi,
I'm applying noise reduction filters on audio from a video project i'm working on in Premiere Pro. I have to take the wav files into Adobe Audition (using the 'Extract from Video' command), but when save over the existing wav files, they're not updated in Premiere. I have to manually import each and every wav file I've worked on and match it back to the video. Is there an easier way to do this?

Adobe Premiere comforms these new wav files as I import them, thereby doubling the number of conformed files on my hard disk. What I don't understand is that, the wav files that I apply the filter to in Audition replace the original wav files on the hard drive, but not in Premiere. How is that possible?
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:18 AM   #846
Wrangler

Hi Pat,

I'm glad you like PP.

Premiere has been out for such a long time that A/B editing workspace was used to mimic the linear way of doing things, so that the guys who were used to Linear editing should find Premiere pretty simple/ similar to use. What most people did not realize was that Premiere had a single track workspace as well, but most people tended to use A/B editing because it was easier to understand.

I like premiere too...

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:55 AM   #847
RED Code Chef

That depends on what "viewing" is. If you are going to get your
clip broadcasted it is probably best to let them handle the
necessary compression and perhaps PAL to NTSC conversion.

PAL basically does not need such safeguards. If you are going
to put it up on the web it does not matter if it is in PAL or NTSC
and you can forego any use of these guidelines as well.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 5th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #848
RED Code Chef

Jan: you should not bother with things like registry / ini or
settings file. If it isn't there in your interface it won't get there.

Regarding the MP3 audio, that is a strange one. I have a
QuickTime movie on my desktop that Vegas claims has a MPEG
layer 3 audio track (MP3). I can play this back and Vegas can
load this. However, when I render to QuickTime 6 I do not see
this codec in the audio list indeed.

I checked and upgrading to QuickTime 6 Pro does not change
a thing. Somehow the codec is not there. I'm not quite sure
why it isn't there....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #849
Inner Circle

You have to pay for the mp3 codec. Quicktime may only work with the one from Faunhofer IIS or whatever. There are other mp3 codecs out there but AFAIK they won't work.

Sorenson3 options: You also need to pay to enable those extra options. The pro sorenson3 codec will give you noticeably better quality.
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #850
Inner Circle

C'mon people, Premiere 6.x was a turd compared to Premiere Pro, Avid, Final Cut, and Vegas.

I don't have experience cutting huge projects in Premiere so I can't help you with your problem. But for a music video I am working on (there's edits in both programs), both Premiere Pro and Vegas are handling it fine. Premiere takes longer to conform things. Final Cut would likely be slower.

The suggestion for splitting your project up is a good one.

You can also try the demo for Vegas. You might be able to convert your cuts through an EDL to save a little time. (maybe!)
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #851
Major Player

I too love my new NLE.

New machine upgraded from 6.5 to 1.5.

Fantastic performance. Hasn't crashed once (touch synthetic wood looking desk)

Spent a good while last night personalising the keyboard shortcuts (trying to line them up with my premier keyboard)

Absolutely fantastic!!!!
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:45 AM   #852
Major Player

My project is split up over 3 scenes, and the maximum length of captured footage I have at one time is 5 minutes. I have premiere pro 1.0, getting 1.5 today to see if it fixes the problem. If not, I'm switching to Vegas 5. There's no excuse for how bad the program is running. Even when I'm not doing anything, and its been sitting there for a while, if I try to switch in or out then in, it takes 2 minutes to get back "in"(having the window in focus, and being able to see all its contents).

The only thing I see here that I'm afraid might be true is that I don't have enough power going to my hard drives. MY power supply is 400watts, but I have 3 hard drives. (Though, I had these problems a week ago when I only had 2) So mabye that's not it. I really just wish I could edit this project at a good pace, and not have to worry about it locking up everytime it has to do something beyond just editing.

I see some other errors too. Sometimes when I export, if the end of the movie has no video, but an mp3 or wav continues to play, it will freeze the rendering, and just stay stuck there at that frame of the rendering process.

Sometimes when I add an effect to some footage premiere crashes.

Premiere has really bad sound export functionality. If you add any audio gain to any audio in your project, it will sound find in the preview. It sounds louder like it should. But when it's exported, and you listen to it on the avi, all of the loud parts are messed up, like the microphone popped when it was recorded.

Besides the problems, I think premiere is a great program. If I didn't have these problems, I would be very happy with it's functionality ect, but thee problems are too much.
Old August 5th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #853
New Boot

Check you windows Task Manager, and look and see how much memory the premiere process is taking. It could be that your machine is swapping.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #854
Trustee

checking the swap file is a good idea... but you since you have a ton of ram, it shouldn't be doing that.

premiere 1.0 was a beta p.o.s. that should have never been released to the public... and the 1.5 update should have been free to the people who bought 1.0.

if you go to the adobe.com premiere forum, you'll see a whole bunch of complaints about premiere 1.0... i don't know if your specific lag problems were one of the many issues people complained about, but it would be a good idea to use the search feature to find out... good luck!
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #855
Trustee

dang, where is the thumbs up button on this board :-)

rob, your post ought to be a sticky at the top of every forum! in fact, it ought to be mandatory reading before you can even access the forum!!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite