Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 58 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old August 5th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #856
New Boot

I also have a gig of memory, and depending on what effects i used premiere would actually start paging. I have premiere 6.5, 1.0 and 1.5 and yes, 1.5 does have much better memory usage than 1.0.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #857
Trustee

mp3 is an old-skool codec that isn't nearly as efficient as some of the newer audio codecs... pretty much the same goes for sorensen... if you don't need the quicktime format itself, you'll get higher quality for the same bandwidth with windows media.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #858
Regular Crew

I've just ordered the upgrade to 1.5. Had nothing but pain and trouble with ppro 1.0 with the matrox card. Hopefully i will follow in your footsteps with 1.5. Can't wait!
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #859
Regular Crew

Huge Source files & long projects in Premiere

The most footage that I have loaded into my NLE at one time is 12 hours in 1 hour increments. I have found that Premeire, at least 5.1c, crashes when a clip that is more than an hour long is placed in the timeline when the audio track is expanded for band level adjustment or whatever. I cut with Premeire 5.1c on the desktop which is what this monster project was done with and 6.5 on the laptop. Now, this desktop is configured and used only as an editor and that's it. I don't run any other programs, especially when editing, or even allow it to access the internet for obvious reasons. My desktop PC/NLE, an IBM Intellistation, has twin 600 mhz P3 processors and only 512 megs of RAM but I do have two dedicated 10K RPM SCSI 146 gig video drives for fast seek times which allows for around 27 hours of video to be stored even after formatting. I have found that Premeire, at least 5.1, starts to act up when a project nears or exceeds an hour in length. I attempted to create a two hour project, mentioned above, and got the sh!t scared out of me when it started freezing up shortly into the second hour of the project. So, I found a natural break in the program content and split the project in half. Once I finished the second half, I held my breath and imported the second half into and at the tail of the first half just for the export to tape. Premeire and/or the PC also could not handle rendering the effects/filters all at once. So I had to render the entire timeline in sections. It worked but before I figured out the solution, I was really nervous. As far as short format projects, I never have any problems.
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #860
RED Code Chef

Although I think Windows Media can do some great stuff I have
to disagree about the Sorenson 3 codec. Look at the stuff Apple
is doing with those movie trailers. Awesome quality at more
than managable sizes in my humble opinion.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:32 AM   #861
Wrangler

Hi Abby,

You can use the audio mixer to pan the audio to the left or right, on a per track bases. So say that you want audio track 1 to be on the left side, then you simply turn the pan knob to the left hand side (L), when you then play the audio back it should only appear on the left.

Hope this helps,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:36 AM   #862
Regular Crew

Have you tried to make a copyfile of the project in the project folder.
Call it project-b and try to open it. The advantage is that it has to reconform the audio and recalculate the transitions.The chance that it helps is minor but at least the project makes a clean start and you keep the original project as un unaffected reference.

If this does not work you can open the project within an ordinary html-editor or XML-editor and look what is wrong or cut it in parts to safe the good part (s). You can also use a unix editor.

May be it will safe a lot of work. And while working on a copy you cannot spoil anything.

PS For learning make three miniprojects
1. one with one clip and
2. one with two clips and .
3. one with a simple transition
and see how they are stored and try to distract one clip form the last one. That is all you need to know to divide your project in parts.

If you don't know where it goes wrong in yr big movie divide the movie in 2 equal parts and divide the bad part in 2 and so on. That is the fastest way to find the error. When it is found: cut it out, re-edit it and consolidate the good parts before and after that point within premiere.
Added music will be the most difficult thing in splitting I think.
Old August 6th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #863
New Boot

Hi Ed,
thanks for your reply. I haven't had to deal with audio too much with my previous projects, so I'm a newbie in that department.

I will try what you suggested.

Thanks again
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #864
MPS Digital Studios

Premiere 6 question

I'm using an old Premiere 6 PC NLE and having problems. I needed to delete the last 1/4 of my project (copy I'm working on)because things got out of sync. I want to take the last 1/4 from the original, which is in sync, and copy that portion and then paste it into the copy project. How do I do that?

Thanks,

heath
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #865
MPS Digital Studios

one other thing, I can't open two projects at once, the original and the copy. I think that's why I can't get the copy and paste from the last 1/4 of the original into the last 1/4 of the copy.

HELP!

thanx,

heath
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #866
Trustee

the source footage that's used for those quicktime movie trailers is full-on pro stuff... they better look good!

since there isn't any basis for comparison, wrt those movie trailers, you have to test the formats with your own source footage.
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #867
Major Player

I thought u could import(but not open) projects (as After Effects can).
I may be wrong.
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #868
MPS Digital Studios

I don't use PRemiere at all, so can you explain a little more?

thanx,

heath
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #869
Major Player

Havent used Premeire for a long while.
But in After Effects you can import one project into another like any other media e.g. quicktimes,pix, audio etc.
The imported project will nest in your new project in its own sequence and bin.

See if that works. (not 100% sure myself)
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #870
Capt. Quirk

Try exporting the part you want as an avi. That will lock audio and video. Sorry... the best I can come up with.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite