Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old August 22nd, 2004, 05:40 AM   #946
New Boot

thanks for the info, but when i crop my image i've got only a part of it in the splitscreen. i would like to show 2 times the whole image...
Old August 22nd, 2004, 12:45 PM   #947
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro 1.5 and Export Problems

Hi! I'm having problems exporting to DV AVI or AVI with Premiere Pro 1.5.

First Problem, Exporting to DV AVI:

When I export with the Microsoft DV AVI codec with Premiere Pro, the file plays fine with Windows Media Player, but TMPGEnc can't decode the file properly. (I'm only getting audio and no video) Now, if I put that same file into Adobe After Effects and export again with Microsoft DV AVI, TMPGEnc decodes it properly. (But I don't want to do this because 1) it takes more time and 2) that's another generation of compression which degrades quality.)

Second Problem, Exporting to HuffYUV:

When I export to HuffYUV, Windows Media Player and Virtual Dub doesn't decode the file properly. It seems like some frames aren't compressed correctly. I can use Adobe After Effects and export as HuffYUV with no problem, same settings and everything. I use HuffYUV version 2.2.0, I always convert to YUY2 and I have "Always suggest RGB format for output" and "Enable Full Size Output Buffer" selected.

Can anyone help me with my dilemma?

-KiN
Old August 22nd, 2004, 12:54 PM   #948
Trustee

what format was the footage in when you first brought it into premiere pro?

if it was from a dv camera, it wouldn't get compressed at all when exporting... except for the transitions, of course.

why are you using the huffy codec? and why use tmpgenc? the mainconcept mpeg encoder in premiere pro is xlnt.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM   #949
Trustee

Yes, that's true. But if you want the entire picture twice, side-by-side, it will be twice as wide as it is usually, or, half as tall.

If you want two copies of the same video, put one copy on one track, and another copy on the next higher track.

You can use the scale parameter of the Motion effect to make each one smaller, and the position parameter to make one on the left and one on the right.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:35 PM   #950
Regular Crew

Hey Dan, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the footage is brought in from a DV camcorder and I did do some color correction on the footage, hence the compression when exporting. The problem I have here is that I can't open the DV AVI file in TMPGEnc when exported from Premiere Pro, but I can open it in TMPGEnc when it's exported from After Effects. (Both compressed with the Microsoft DV codec)

The reason why I'm using TMPGEnc is because I've never exported a final copy of a project directly from Premiere. Premiere has the worst resizing/deinterlacing methods and other post processing filters. TMPGEnc has superior deinterlacing/resizing filters plus I've been using it for awhile and I'm use to encoding MPEG files this way :] *NOTE* I'm a new user to Premiere Pro, but I've used Premiere 5 and 6 for a long time and they were notorious for having bad post processing filters. If this has changed in Premiere Pro, please correct me!

I use the HuffYUV codec because, again, Premiere doesn't have good post processing filters. I use Virtual Dub and AviSynth to deinterlace/resize/denoise/etc my video before I compress it in DivX/Xvid/etc. HuffYUV is the best lossless compression out there (IMHO) and that's why I use it.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

-KiN
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:28 AM   #951
Tourist

I think Vamshi means volume rather than pitch... when I first made a DVD i remember watching it back and being horrified at the inconsistency in audio levels - one thing you should watch out for is to keep your PC speakers at the same level when editing, (maybe use a marker, or always have them on full or something) because this can cause you to think certain clips are louder or softer than they should be, especially after you come back to it after watching a film, or playing games or something.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:38 AM   #952
Tourist

Capture problems with Premiere Pro

This only used to happen when in my shoot, I would turn the camera off and on again, continue filming, and premiere would have trouble capturing over the 'stop' because of timecode problems. But now, it jsut seems to happen randomly, in the middle of my captured footage, the capture screen stutters, then says 'Error: cannot find timecode'. Why is this??? It's very irritating as it does not capture some little parts of footage that i would want to use. The only possible reason i can think of, is that maybe i need to leave a little recording time before and after filming a certain scene, does Premiere need some kind of 'run up' when capturing? Thanks guys
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:52 AM   #953
Regular Crew

Oh in this case then, make sure you use the audio mixer's UV meters as a guide. I'm not sure how much the UV Meters in Premiere Pro has improved, but, more or less, your sound tracks should peak between -12 and -6.

I would only use speakers as a no-confidence guide and make sure you have the volume in the middle setting.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:36 AM   #954
Regular Crew

I hear you can trade in your RT2500 for a better capture card (RT. 100X or something) that has Premiere Pro.

I too am using Premiere 6.5 with a Pinnacle DV500 card, very smooth on Windows XP, initally used it in Windows ME which was a bugger.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:51 AM   #955
Wrangler

Hi James,

If you are capturing between in and out points and you are capturing from the beginning of the tape then you will need about 7seconds pre-roll (run up as you say).

However if you are doing a crash capture (no in-points/ out points) then you should not need any preroll, and you should be able to start capture just after 00:00:00:00. Do you get the same message if you do this?

It is good practice that when filming you should have 10 seconds preroll (you normally get an indication of this when recording) and then a little out-roll once the shot has finished.

On the tape does the timecode jump, are there any brakes in timecode?

What camera are you using?

Please specify your settings, and system specification.

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:11 PM   #956
Tourist

Thanks Ed,

By in/out points in the recording, are you referring to when I stop and start recording, i.e. a change in shot? I have many of those, there's not much continuous footage. As for the batch capture, yes this problem occurs when I start a capture from the beginning and leave it to itself. As for the breaks in timecode, there shouldn't be, as I went out for the day, and recorded straight on a new tape, (I did however change battery once) and I didn't playback or mess around with it.

James

PS The camera I was using on the day was a Sony TRV-33e, so it doesn't give you that little 10second pre-roll indicator (although you can see it at the top-right constantly)
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:23 PM   #957
Wrangler

Hi James,

By in and out points I was refering to when capturing the footage in premiere, i.e. marking an in and out point.

Continuous timecode is when there is no timecode brake/ jump when recording. i.e. if its a 60 minute tape the timecode goes from 00:00:00:00 to 01:00:00:00.

I see now that you are using a batch capture list in Premiere. Was there any interuptions when you were capturing from tape? i.e. have you any virus protection running in the background/ any other services that might cause interuptions?

Again please specify your system specs and setting (where possible)

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:12 PM   #958
Major Player

Here's the dum-dum question of the year: if it was produced on a Mac etc., is this tutorial suitable for the PC edition of Photoshop CS?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:20 PM   #959
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Photoshop is functionally identical across platforms. So the answer is yup.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:30 PM   #960
Major Player

Thank you, Mr. Tanaka!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite