Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 66 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old August 29th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #976
Major Player

How do I import an avi file?

I want to import an avi file into Adobe Premiere 6.0 and get an error telling me the file uses an unsupported suppression format. I thought, "No problem. I've run into this before and I'll just import the file into Vegas and render it as an mpeg. Then I can import it into Premiere."

Wrong. Vegas will let me import the file but not add it to the timeline. I'm at a loss as to how I can accomplish this. All I need to do is add a logo overlay image to the track before publishing it to a web site.

Any ideas as to how I can get this file either imported to Premiere or reformatted? Thank you.
Old August 30th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #977
Major Player

Capturing Oddities w/Premiere 6.0

Hi there...

I recently shot a wedding video for a friend, just one camera, with my Canon GL-1. At the end of the reception, one of the musicians came up to me and gave me a DV tape that he'd shot with his little Sony Handicam. Since it had some other angles (and the cake cutting that I missed later on) I planned on using the tape for a few cutaways here and there.

The oddities came when I put that tape into my GL-1 and tried to capture in Premiere. The tape plays fine, both video and sound play fine. I can start the campture in Premiere and it will count the captured frames and all that...

But...

I have a Pinnacle RTDV RT card, and when the project is set to Pinnacle DV, the tape will suddenly pause and it will stop counting frames, but there is no "Save File As" dialogue from Premiere. It just stops.

When I opened up a new project, hoping I could at least get the footage onto the hard drive, I picked standard NTSC DV, and started the capture. It worked fine, when I got to about 10 minutes, I stopped it and got the Save File dialogue, but when I tried to drag the clip onto the timeline, all it added was the audio. When I double click on the clip to view it, it won't play.

I used Window Media Player to play the clip and it played just fine. I then fired up Vegas 4.0 and the clip was also fine. But of course, Premiere is my main editor (necessary because of the Pinnacle's limitations) so I'm kinda at a stand still.

The only thing I can think of is to load it into Vegas and re-export as a different kind of file, but you lose quality, and of course this handicam isn't as good as my GL-1.

Any ideas what the story could be? The handicam footage is full sized DV, 16 bit audio, but the captured clip in Premiere says that the frame rate is -809877567 which didn't make much sense.

Any clue?

THanks!

Jeremiah
Old August 30th, 2004, 04:24 AM   #978
Major Player

Addendum...

Some other info: The DV tape was recorded at LP, would that throw off all the capturing?

I tried to capture with Vegas through the firewire...I have full device control, I hit play, I can see the video in the little capture window, I hit record, and it doesn't record any frames...just plays, no recording.

DV Tools (comes with Pro One card) will act like it's capturing, but the capture log says 0 frames captured.

My last resort is to try to capture it through the S-video, but I"d like to avoid that if at all possible.

Jeremiah
Old August 30th, 2004, 05:29 AM   #979
Wrangler

Hi Tyge,

Can you tell us how the AVI file was made, and what codec was used to create it, etc?

By the sounds of things you do not have the correct codec installed. Can you play it OK in windows media player?

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #980
Major Player

I can play it in Windows Media Player. iI'm not sure what codec it was made with. These small clips are from a remote video system with a satlilite link up which transmits the files and posts them on a web site. I want to add a logo overlay image to the files and maybe render them as wmv files before I make them public. Does that make sense?
Old August 30th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #981
RED Code Chef

One of the "problems" of the Windows platform is that there are
two codec types. Directshow and Video For Windows. The former
is the new type which programs like Vegas and the new Premiere
are using. The latter is the older platform which WMP can still play
but newer editors usually cannot edit.

One of the things you can do is get Virtualdub and use
that to load the file and export it to uncompressed AVI.

You should be able to load that just fine.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #982
Major Player

Figured it out...

It turns out that LP speed wil usually screw up the ability to capture if you are capturing in a camera that isn't the one that shot it.

The timecode and the amount of information included in each frame screws up the capturing.

JR
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:17 PM   #983
Major Player

Thanks a lot!

The Virtualdub program worked like a charm.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:52 AM   #984
New Boot

Previewing Timeline On a TV - ADS A/V Link Okay?

While editing in Premiere Pro 1.5 I want to preview my work not in the little monitor window but on a TV.

Plan A - NO GOOD. I learned that hooking up the TV to the second head of my Radeon card I could get XP Pro to spread my work across both and I could get the timeline monitor preview all stretched onto the TV but it still isn't a preview of what will wind up on a TV with the finished project on DVD.

Plan B - WORKS BUT I HATE IT. I can send the preview out via firewire and through my DVX100A and thence to the TV for a good TV preview (subject to real-time rendering limitations) but I don't want to use the camera for that purpose.

Plan C - HOPE THIS IS IT. Please tell me if this will do what I want. Use a Canopus ADVC-100 or ADS A/V Link bi-directional A-D/D-A converter instead of the camera and then on to the TV via S-video.

Plan 9 From Outer Space... No, my bad. Slaps hand.

If this Plan C is a bad idea please yell at me now.

The ADS is cheaper, only $139 on eBay for a new one so I'm leaning that way. Would anyone warn me off?

Thanks a million for tapping into all the experience and knowledge here. I talk brave but you still know I'm a raving newbie.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:59 PM   #985
Wrangler

Hi Steve,

I can't tell you how good the ADVC is, since I have not used one.

However connecting one like you said should be no problem. It will act just the same as connecting through your DVX100A.

I'll let people who have experience with it, tell you how good it is...

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old September 3rd, 2004, 06:06 PM   #986
New Boot

My configuration is "PLAN C" using the Canopus ADVC-100. Works perfectly for me.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 07:55 PM   #987
Regular Crew

That fuzzy circle

This one strikes me as something that is probably much easier than I am making it out to be...

In Premiere Pro...is there an easy way to create that fuzzy little dot used to block out faces, phone #s, brand names, etc.? I wanted to use that as it tends to be less distracting (in my opinion) than a big black dot on the screen.

Thanks in advance, folks!
Old September 3rd, 2004, 08:18 PM   #988
Trustee

There is a tutorial on blurring faces using Premiere Pro at http://www.wrigleyvideo.com
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:47 AM   #989
New Boot

mmm

maybe you could do up a storyboard, and use one of those slide transitions as default.

As far as the audio, maybe you could record something yourself and pop it under each transition.

Probably pretty obvious!

Tyler
Old September 4th, 2004, 02:03 AM   #990
New Boot

NTSC to PAL to DVD

Hi all,

I'm probably about halfway through a project that my camerawoman and I have been working on.

She has a Canon XL1 (NTSC) that she bought from America when they first came out. I am working on a laptop with premiere 6.5.

I'm not at the stage yet where I have a final cut, but to save stress later I wanted to know how easy (or hard) it was to convert NTSC to PAL and then burn it to DVD for public airing.

We also shot in widescreen, which I've been told isn't such a good idea for conversion etc.

I can't wait until this thing is done, we have shot about 4 - 5 hours of short clips around the area I live, so as to paint a picture of the area in the style of Baraka. Its going to be shown at an annual cultural fesitval (Viva la Gong) in about three weeks.
Pretty full on considering its the first time I've worked with moving images in any capacity!

Anyway heres hoping!

Tyler

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite