Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 89 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:38 AM   #1321
RED Code Chef

I don't see why this would not be possible. You can turn the
color sections into black and white. If you take careful consideration
with lighting when shooting and such it should be possible to
match the lighting and look.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:44 AM   #1322
Inner Circle

If there are particular stills from the video you like, you could manually color them yourself (photographers used to do this to black and white photos).
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:31 AM   #1323
Wrangler

Hi eric,

Do you have adobe audition? If you do your best bet is to use that instead of premiere.

You'll be able to reduce it slightly in premiere. Just have a play around with some of the audio effects, you can of course add more than 1 effect to the audio if needed.

By noise do you mean hiss, or general background noise?

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:04 AM   #1324
Wrangler

Hmmm. Stranger and stranger. Ok, this is getting pretty confusing so let's go back to the beginning and do a fault analysis as logically as we can manage via internet.

It SEEMS like only MS DV AVI is being affected? You can encode and then smoothly play QT, WMV, and AVI files that use other codecs, even at fairly high data rates (ie, high quality)? If I've understood correctly, that makes me think it is an encoding issue.

So, STEP 1: I partially agree with Dan that the other apps MAY be complicating things, so just for now, clean up your system so the fewest apps and services are running and for safety unplug your internet connection.

(Except for anything AOL-related, which I DO regard as junk, I think Dan was over-stating a bit about throwing your other software in the trash. I spent the better part of a weekend cleaning up a friend's computer that had THOUSANDS of viruses, adwares, spywares, etc that made it totally non-functional...she had a broadband connection without any firewall or anti-virus protection. We all MUST use firewalls and anti-virus software when connected to the internet. Just don't need 'em when our system is "clean" and we have the cable unplugged!)

STEP 2: If you're not 100% certain about the above, open your project and export high quality "final products" using:

- Export > Movie...
-- MS DV AVI
-- MS AVI (let's say, using DiVX codec since you have that one installed)
-- QT

- Export > Adobe Media Encoder...
-- WMV
-- MPEG (probably choose a high quality MPEG 2)
-- QT
-- (optionally) Real Media

- Plug your camera in with a blank tape, and do Export > Export to tape

If all the "final products" encode ok and then play perfectly in their respective player applets, except for the MS DV AVI and the Export to Tape, that confirms the problem is limited to either encoding or playback of the MS DV AVI codec, rather than a generic problem.

If the other format "final products" do also show choppiness, then there is a more generic encoding issue in PPro.

STEP 3: Re-import your MS DV AVI file that plays choppy into a new project in PPro. Go to a point where it is choppy and look frame-by-frame to see if consecutive frames are playing through properly in your PPro Monitor Window, or if frames are actually missing from what you had originally exported to create the file.

STEP 4:
IF frames were actually erroneously skipped during the original encode: There must be a bug in the Make Movie code that encodes your timeline to the final product. Assuming the issue isn't already addressed on the Adobe web site (I couldn't find it, but maybe you might have better luck), go to the Adobe website's Report a Bug page and let 'em know! That'll help all of us:

http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html

IF each frame that should be in the file is actually there on a frame-by-frame inspection of the problem MS DV AVI file, then it has to be a playback issue...for some reason some frames that do exist in the final product aren't being played back properly. Keep looking for system anomalies.

That sounds like a lot of work, but for a 30 second clip, it shouldn't really take all that long. I think that for us to be able to help you much more, we'll need specific answers to each step. It MAY be that if for some weird reason a particular codec (like the MS DV AVI codec) got corrupted during the install, you'll end up having to uninstall and re-install...but it is too early for that. Lots of questions to answer about the system!

BTW, how did a check of the DMA settings for your drives come out?

Whew!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:58 AM   #1325
Regular Crew

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply. Basically, I have an audio problem where there is a lot of interference generated by the wireless transmission, sort of like hiss.

I don't have audition, I can download the trail version and try it out. But what would I need to do in audition to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:29 PM   #1326
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Ryan Krga : I'm rendering the video before playing it back so I don't see why this is happening. -->>>

why would you have to render a microsoft dv avi file? did you put a lot of effects to it? it still sounds like you are exporting a file that is uncompressed(too data intensive), or it is being virus-scanned in real time.

lets not confuse quality apps with junk apps... everything you listed is junk, it totally takes over your computer... what you want are simple apps that don't constantly go out on the internet and "phone home", for instance, or run a bunch of processes in the background.

get zonealarm, spybot, and possibly bitdefender for virus scanning... also go to blackviper.com and take a look at the winxp settings... if you do a control-alt-delete and count the number of background processes that are running, you should have maybe 25 or so running.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM   #1327
Regular Crew

I have a few dumb questions for you guys. First, I'm having trouble exporting my Premiere clips into Audition. I'm following the manual and clicking on the "Original Edit" option, but it only opens up in Windows Media Player instead of Audition. Also, is there a way just to export the segment of the clip you want to edit into Audition without having to export the entire clip? Because I have little segments from different clips that only last 30 seconds to a 1 minute and I don't want to edit the clip down again. Any help would be appreciated.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:58 PM   #1328
Tourist

Letter-Boxed Footage and 16X9 Footage

I am in the unfortunate position of having to work with footage taken on an AG-DVX100 in letter box mode (a 4:3 frame with the top and bottom cropped) with footage taken on a GL2 and an XL1-S in 16X9 mode. Of course, a seemless melding is the hoped-for result.

Any thoughts on the best way of approaching this problem? Reshooting is not an option.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:30 PM   #1329
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jake Sawyer : I have a few dumb questions for you guys. First, I'm having trouble exporting my Premiere clips into Audition. I'm following the manual and clicking on the "Original Edit" option, but it only opens up in Windows Media Player instead of Audition. Also, is there a way just to export the segment of the clip you want to edit into Audition without having to export the entire clip? Because I have little segments from different clips that only last 30 seconds to a 1 minute and I don't want to edit the clip down again. Any help would be appreciated. -->>>

Jake, first i am not an expert on either tools but i remember I had to change my windows file associations to keep WMP from grabbing the avi first and there is another post here that describes the entire procedure for creating a mixdown for use in both Premiere and Audition, it's also in the Audion Help, search on Premiere and also Soundtrack. I am not finding that feature all that useful, as another way to do it is this:
1) export your short AVI clip from the timeline (export workarea).
2. import your short AVI into Audition (on a track in multitrack view)
3. edit the audio in edit view
4. export the clip back out with the new audio and replace in your Premier project.
I dont know if that helps or hurts but good luck!
jigs
Friday.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:57 PM   #1330
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jiggy Gaton : <<<-- Originally posted by Jake Sawyer : I have a few dumb questions for you guys. First, I'm having trouble exporting my Premiere clips into Audition. I'm following the manual and clicking on the "Original Edit" option, but it only opens up in Windows Media Player instead of Audition. Also, is there a way just to export the segment of the clip you want to edit into Audition without having to export the entire clip? Because I have little segments from different clips that only last 30 seconds to a 1 minute and I don't want to edit the clip down again. Any help would be appreciated. -->>>

Jake, first i am not an expert on either tools but i remember I had to change my windows file associations to keep WMP from grabbing the avi first and there is another post here that describes the entire procedure for creating a mixdown for use in both Premiere and Audition, it's also in the Audion Help, search on Premiere and also Soundtrack. I am not finding that feature all that useful, as another way to do it is this:
1) export your short AVI clip from the timeline (export workarea).
2. import your short AVI into Audition (on a track in multitrack view)
3. edit the audio in edit view
4. export the clip back out with the new audio and replace in your Premier project.
I dont know if that helps or hurts but good luck!
jigs -->>>

How do I export just the AVI clip? I only see a option to export the whole thing.
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:42 AM   #1331
Regular Crew

<<<<<<-How do I export just the AVI clip? I only see a option to export the whole thing.<<<<<<<

jake, i assume u mean from premiere? easy peasy. adjust your workarea bars to surround the bit of project u want to export, on the export movie dialog click Settings, than select the option Work Area Bar under Range. there ya go!
jigs
Friday.
Old November 24th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #1332
RED Code Chef

Reshoo.... ehrm, okay.

Well, you have two things you can do basically:

1. "convert" your 16:9 footage to 4:3 footage (creating a letterbox)

2. upscale your 4:3 footage to 16:9 footage

What is your output format? If it is DVD then it might be better
to go with option 2 to have it more easily work on 16:9 TV's.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that neither the XL1S nor the GL2 have
a true 16:9 mode so your not getting a resolution increase
anyway.

Personally I would go with option 1 (also the easiest to execute).
Simply create a 4:3 project and load up all your footage. You will
not have to touch the 4:3 footage, but make sure that "maintain
aspect ratio" is enabled for the 16:9 footage. Premiere should
then auto-letterbox it.

p.s. welcome aboard DVInfo.net Daniel! Good to have you with us.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 24th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #1333
Regular Crew

You may want to try the Low Pass audio filter as most hiss is typically in the higher frequency ranges. The Low Pass will filter out higher frequencies. Hope this helps
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #1334
Regular Crew

Re: Show Frequency Analysis

<<<-- Originally posted by David Yuen : You should try the Show Frequency Analysis in Audition (under the Analyze menu) to determine the frequencies of the person's voice and the bus.

You can try a high-pass filter (Effects -> Filters -> Scientific Filters) where your cutoff frequency is below the person's voice and above the bus hum. Your speaker being a female rather than a male gives you a better separation between the bus hum and the voice.

You can also try to boost the person's voice using some of the Audition presets in the Graphic Equalizer section. -->>>

Could you walk me through that process? I'm doing what you said to do, but I have no idea how and which way to tweak, adjust it. Also, I need help on reducing the hiss thanks.
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #1335
Tourist

Rob,

Thank you very much for that advice and the welcome to the DVInfo boards. I have been more a reader than a poster over the past year and a half.

I was going to reformat the 4:3 footage in a 16:9 project, but have now decided to go the other way, after reading your suggestion and doing some testing.

Dan
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite