DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Dual Dual-core AMD Opteron Processors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/70267-dual-dual-core-amd-opteron-processors.html)

Eric Holloway June 26th, 2006 10:19 AM

Dual Dual-core AMD Opteron Processors

I'm currently running an Intel 3.4 ghz machine and thinking about going to a dual core amd opteron dual processor machine.

My question is, Intel supports the hyperthreading and premiere takes advantage of it thinking there are two processessors instead of one. AMD has the HyperTransport technology and I need to know if this works the same way with Adobe premiere.

For instance, if I'm running 2 dual core amd processors, will Adobe Premiere think that I'm running 4 processessors like it would if I was running 2 intel hyperthreaded processessors?

Thanks,

Eric Holloway

Denis Danatzko June 26th, 2006 03:45 PM

See this thread...

CineForm Software Showcase -
What is the best computer for PP2 & Aspect HD

It might help.

Leslie Dopkiss June 26th, 2006 05:45 PM

dual dual cores

Eric, go to http://www.videoguys.com/DIY4.html and read what they have to say about intel vs amd. I am building a computer based on the tyan K8WE motherboard and using two dual core opterons. It's the most complicated computer I have built yet, and thus it's taking me longer because of the learning curve. I decided on amd because of past history using amd plus what they had to say at this site. Sorry that I can't give you any personal experience with it yet - but hopefully soon!

Leslie

John Miller June 26th, 2006 07:16 PM

Hyperthreading and HyperTransport are completed unrelated (other than the first six letters!). HyperTransport is an extremely fast bus for communicating between the processors. Hyperthreading is (in my opinion) a kludge to give the crippled Pentium 4 a performance boost by allowing it to be a part-dual processor.

Hyperthreading requires somewhat tricky programming to make full use of.

Premiere supports more than one processor and it should work with the operating system to make full use of 4 cores should there happen to be 4 present. It's possible that it is hard-coded to work on 2 at most. I'd like to say that's unlikely but....

Laurence Kingston June 26th, 2006 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F Miller
Hyperthreading and HyperTransport are completed unrelated (other than the first six letters!). HyperTransport is an extremely fast bus for communicating between the processors. Hyperthreading is (in my opinion) a kludge to give the crippled Pentium 4 a performance boost by allowing it to be a part-dual processor.

The good thing about Hyper-threading is that you can turn it off in your cmos and get a little better performance (most of the time) ;-)

Ben Winter June 27th, 2006 01:26 PM

For video editing, I've always heard to go AMD. I've got a dual dual-core opteron system on order which should be arriving within the next few weeks. I edit HDV and I think it'll handle it nicely. 4 gigs of ram, ati radeon 1900xt and four 250gb sata hard drives raid'ed together.

Greg Bates June 27th, 2006 09:39 PM

I built a dual dual core opteron system based around a Tyan mother board and opteron 265's with 8 gigs of ram. I had considered going FCP until I got this one together, but this thing is a monster. I can edit HVX footage with ease.

Denis Danatzko June 30th, 2006 06:15 PM

I met my dual operton machine for the first time today.

Impressive performance. My being impressed may not be noteworthy. What made me feel good was that the guys who were building the machine were amazed at it's performance. They had never worked with HVX footage, but after adding some effects to a short test clip, they commented they had never seen effects produced so quickly without rendering. It was pretty much real time.

Unfortunately, they built it with drives smaller than I ordered. Insted of 4 500's, they used 4 250's. Now I have to wait the long weekend with nowhere to go and no new toy to play with. (Needless to say I have no $$ either).

Happy 4th!

Leslie Dopkiss July 1st, 2006 07:01 AM

Greg - what audio?

Finally got the little monster together. I've got two 250s in a sata raid 0, a 250 for winxp to live on and a 300 for extra stuff, 4gig ram, nvida geoforce6800. Greg, what did you use for audio on your tyan motherboard? I still have to decide that. But at least it works and I can put the software on it and start playing. Glad to hear you all are happy, I can't wait to try this out!