DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Will Vista be OK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/71835-will-vista-ok.html)

Harry Lender July 19th, 2006 04:03 PM

Will Vista be OK

I am planning a massive upgrade for my computer in early 2007, Duel core Sata drives the works, also when Vista comes on the market. As all this is at least 5 to 6 months away Vista will different from Winxp Pro which I have now. The question...Will Premiere Pro 1.5 operate under Vista OS? I just want to make sure, otherwise I'll just stick with Win XP Pro. Thanks in advance.

Harry

Rob Lohman July 19th, 2006 04:23 PM

There is always a delay between a new major version of the OS and the delivery
of (stable!!!) drivers (!) & software. If you need a new system one buy one
now and use the stuff that is available now.

If you need to buy a system next year see what is out there and happening
at that point. For all we know Vista might delay to the second half of 2007
(quite possible actually).

Steven Gotz July 19th, 2006 07:16 PM

There is a good chance that all of the older programs will work. They don't yet though. And there are no guarantees.

Harry Lender July 19th, 2006 09:11 PM

Will Vista be OK'

Rob And Steven:
Thanks for your replies. I 'll have to wait until after the first of the year as I don't have the full amount of $. I'm keeping my eye on Video Guys.COM their DIY section seems to have some pretty good ideas on Dualcores Etc Etc. Thanks Again for your help. I'll Check with you the closer it gets. Thanks Again.

Harry

Michael Behr July 30th, 2006 07:57 PM

you should probly watch out with what you do. vista is based on a all new direct x 10 system. if you have a video card that you use with after fx's you may want 2 wait for vista 2 upgrade. thats when all the dx 10 cards will be coming out. vista will run dx 10 and dx 9 but as far as i know, you cant run dx 10 on a dx 9 card...or even on win xp...i may be mistaken on the xp part..but i do know that once vista comes out after fx. and Ppro and alot of programs the run direct x will utilize dx 10 so you may or may not be able 2 run those programs on xp and will have 2 upgrade 2 vista...witch inturn means upgrading ur whole system..vista uses more resorces than xp. where xp needs 256mb of ram vista needs 512mb of ram. of corse it will have more background programs and take up more space on ur hdd. (witch isnt 2 big of a problem..yet) so its all rideing on weather dx 10 will run on xp...and i dont think it will

Marco Wagner August 24th, 2006 11:24 AM

I personally would stay far away from Vista until a few SPs. I've been running the betas as they come out, poop. You will be robbed of editing power for the sake of a pretty UI... The system requirments are horrible just to run the OS.

Nick Weeks August 24th, 2006 11:33 AM

I agree with Marco, I've used the betas too, and they're very demanding on hardware. Even a decent computer (3.6 GHz hyperthreading with 2GB of RAM and a decent video card) seems very sluggish.

Steven Davis August 24th, 2006 11:43 AM

Will Vista be ok?

Hmm, we could take a timewarp back several years and ask the same question; Will XP be ok. Well, we're actually still asking THAT question, Will XP be ok?

I agree with what's above, Microsoft has not been the best about holding true to it's promises of stability and security.

I usually wait a year or two after an OS comes out before I jump aboard.

Rob Lohman August 24th, 2006 03:40 PM

Guys, it's a beta. I've had 3 beta versions installed as well. Don't judge something
that's beta, whatever manufacturer / product.

As I wrote in my post above you cannot think about a product that is not
out yet (unless you are a software developer or something). You want a
stable platform with driver and hardware support.

Again, please don't judge something that's beta. Heck, a friend of mine was
running Mac OS X Leopard and had troubles as well. He reinstalled Tiger since
the machine needs to be used to get some real work done. Same thing.

People were saying the same thing when XP came out. Eats too many
resources, sluggish etc. And now everyone uses it. I also don't understand
how you'll be robbed of editing power because of the pretty UI. That UI is
hardware accelerated by your graphics card which (usually) isn't doing much
during editing / rendering anyway.

As Steven (and I basically) say, wait till the product is out and stable. Wait
till your hardware is supported (drivers etc.) and your software is certified
as well (NLE etc.). Then see what the early adopters are saying, especially
in combination with the software you'll be using.

If all is good, then switch. Otherwise stay with what works or switch to
a completely different platform.

Pretty simple, no?

Marco Wagner August 24th, 2006 05:59 PM

Rob,

I think we are more judging on the history MS has of releasing unfinished, buggy pOSes. I don't see how Vista will have anything (for a couple years) over XP in the realm of editing. Back when I was happily using Win2000 I was FORCED to upgrade to XP if I wanted the newer versions for Premiere. At least that is NOT the case this time around, if so, I'd quite using Premiere period. No, we are simply stating that Vista probably is not a good idea to run out and get upon launch.

Why on earth would you install an OS that is going to take even more resources than your XP box currently eats? For the sake of editing in a pretty GUI? Beside DX10, DRM, and chained HD support what does it do beside suck more memory and hd space? I've spent countless hours slimming down my XP install to allow Premiere to have almost all the resources, I'm not planning on jumping right into Vista to only do the same thing...I'd still be running Win2K if Premiere would work in it! :-)

Rob Lohman August 25th, 2006 12:07 AM

Marco: thanks for your response. I agree, don't get it (for editing or other
media work) when it's just out of the gates. But that holds true for any new
(major) OS release in my opinion.

A lot of people actually seem to like "pretty" UI's. Heck, I like the Vista one
a lot better than the XP one (which is running in classic mode here, so it looks
like Windows 2000). People always (seem) to praise Apple for how sleek Mac
OS X looks. And more stuff gets added to that GUI every day (just check out
the latest keynote from WWDC). And a lot of editors are using that platform
as well. So I guess there's definitely a market for it.

Whether it has "other" benefits for media people is something we'll have to
see when it's actually out in final form.