Best format to export video to at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 6th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Best format to export video to

I have a 1 minute long segment that I would like to post on the web. I would like to keep it under 70 Meg. There are so many options. (wmv, mov, rtv, etc..) My video is in 720 x 480 16:9 at 24P. I would like to go slightly smaller in size (i.e. 620 x 380 or a bit less) plus have the best picture quality possible. I do not intend for this to be streaming, People will simply just download it.

I get confused when I have tio select bitrate, vbr, etc.

Any help would be appreciateded.
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Tim,

I think the simplest way is to use WMV. Premiere will out put pretty good wmv files which will probably be the most universally viewable for web delivery. There are a number of preset settings in PPro you can try a few of those to see which you prefer... I set mine for around 512 throughput, which lets most people with broadband watch them no problem....

You'll no doubt get better quality if you mess around with Quicktime on a Mac, these are the best quality web delivered clips I've see. But as you're on a PC, you'll struggle with the Mac formats.

As you've seen there are several possible formats..but Windows media is a good place to start.

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Tim, I've found out that QuickTime is one of the niceset delivery methods. I usually take my final video and output it to an AVI file (DV codec). I then Open it with QuickTime Pro (~$40.00) and then Export it using the 'Broadband (High)' option. Of course you can tweak the resolution, etc. if you want. This outputs a high quality MOV file using H.264 and AAC. The only thing I dislike about QuickTime is that it seems to desaturate the video a lot, so you need to up the saturation in your project before outputting to an AVI. Then, when QT converts it, it'll look a lot better. The file ends up being about 5MB per minute (using only Single Pass) and that's really good res (486 x 270 widescreen) and really high audio (16-bit stereo 48 KHz). I'm sure you could get the size down a lot smaller if you were willing to drop the audio bitrate and decrease video quality a bit.
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeJonge
The only thing I dislike about QuickTime is that it seems to desaturate the video a lot, so you need to up the saturation in your project before outputting to an AVI. Then, when QT converts it, it'll look a lot better.
I agree with the assessment about desaturation with H264, I seem to get a better look because of it in .wmv. Trouble with Quicktime is updating the viewers too. In my experience, at least on PC side, practically everyone has Windows Media Player, an a good portion are updated.
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to give the quicktime a shot. I'll let you know how I nake out with it.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain.

Tim
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I agree with the assessment about desaturation with H264, I seem to get a better look because of it in .wmv.
From what I have seen, the saturation problem apparently lies in the QuickTime Player itself. If the H.264 footage is played in VLC media player the saturation is fine.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #7
Major Player

I would recommend using WMV files for web streaming. Seem to be easiest for end users to open and get the benefit from.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the advice Steve. I appreciate it!

Tim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite