DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Problem with video quality output in Premiere 2.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/73380-problem-video-quality-output-premiere-2-0-a.html)

Daniel Livschutz August 10th, 2006 12:08 PM

Problem with video quality output in Premiere 2.0

I have been shooting with my XL1s for over 2 1/2 years and have been battling this troublesome video quality issue, here is what's going on. When I view my footage in Premiere Pro 2.0(already Color Corrected, etc..) it looks fine in the Sequence preview window, such as the colors, quality and no jagged edges in certain areas for the most part. Now when I output the footage to DVD using the Export to DVD function applying the: NTSC, 720x480, 29.97 non-drop frame [fps], Lower, Quality 4.5 448 [kbps], 48 kHz, 3/2 (L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs - 5.1 Surround), Dolby Digital VBR, 2 Pass, Min 9.00, Target 9.00, Max 9.00 [Mbps]: option set and view it on a 32 inch HD LCD set and on a 50inch set using two DVD players one connected with HDMI and the other with Component and not in progressive play mode, it looks like crap.

Not as sharp and vivid as the computer, a lot of noticeable jagged edges than the PC window, and the color reproduction is completely off. Just to answer some questions you may ask me, I do shoot in proper lighting conditions, I am very knowledgeable on how to use the camera in manual mode with shutter control, f/stop, exposure, internal settings, etc, and import my footage using another MiniDv camera(Panasonic PV-GS200) with the 29.97 fps, 4:3. 720x480 project settings selected, and shoot in Frame mode. Can someone please explain what is occurring and/or what I am doing incorrectly in capturing the footage and exporting it? Also should I deinterlace the footage prior to export? Thanks for the help.

Daniel

K. Forman August 10th, 2006 02:02 PM

Try using 7MBs and 2 pass CBR.

Daniel Livschutz August 11th, 2006 12:10 PM

Same Problem, it still has the problems from my original post. Thanks

Frank Hool August 11th, 2006 02:52 PM

for me is it just mysterium what happened to premiere's output module after premiere got in it's name addition pro. Before it(ap6.5) was only one problem - no compressed audio. Workaround was to use avisynth frameserver. Nowadays are hdd's so big that i just render uncompressed(or huffyuv..etc) video out and make next steps outside the premiere - like virtualdub and tmpgenc.

Philippe Messier August 11th, 2006 02:55 PM

computer screen

Are you sure your computer screen is calibrated correctly ? Might be the problem...

Otherwise, have you ever edit your footage with another program than PPro to see if that could be the problem (i really doubt it is actually,... i never had any problem on this kind with PPro)

Good luck

Philippe

Chris Barcellos August 11th, 2006 03:49 PM

Comments on Settings:

NTSC, 720x480, 29.97 non-drop frame [fps],

Lower, Try Upper first, see if that resolves anything.

Quality 4.5 448 [kbps], : I an bit at my home system right now, but this seems low. Are you trying to fit a lot of time on one disk. To get highest quality, I would force no more than 60 minutes on a single disk.

How about when you render to a straight mpg file ? Same issues ???

I like rendering out to another DV as my master, then compress for disk, as needed using DVD Architect, or Nero, or even use Pinnacle Studio DVD renderer.

Daniel Livschutz August 14th, 2006 09:58 PM

So is everyone basically implying that I should output a master to a MiniDv tape and than do a MiniDv to DVD transfer using for example Nero or another DVD authoring program? Yes my screen is calibrated correctly and when I output to a MPEG or MPEG-2 I only get a single AC3 file? However if I output an uncompressed AVI it looks descent but not good, I honestly don’t know what is happening with Premiere’s export process. Thanks

Daniel

Chris Barcellos August 14th, 2006 10:19 PM

First of all, you don't have to port it out to tape. You can render a DV file to your hard disk. When you have your time line completely edited, you select export, then movie. You will get a screen asking what you want to name file, but select settings first on that screen. You need to select Microsoft DV, and be sure 4:3 or wide screen is selected, depending on your project, then say okay, and you will be referred back out to name the file your want to save.

Then you can take that .avi file and have it transcoded in your DVD burning program. Remember, about 60 minutes will give the best quality DVD. More than that, and you will lose picture quality.

Daniel Livschutz August 17th, 2006 06:41 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. Does anyone have any further adivce that I may try. My main concern is that it may be my camera that is causing all of these problems, but it also may not be the case. Thanks

Daniel

David Walding August 19th, 2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Remember, about 60 minutes will give the best quality DVD. More than that, and you will lose picture quality.

Are you abbreviating this portion, or do you literally mean that Encore or whatever burning program will adjust quality dependning on video length??

Chris Barcellos August 19th, 2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Walding
Are you abbreviating this portion, or do you literally mean that Encore or whatever burning program will adjust quality dependning on video length??

As I understand it, if you are forcing more than 1 hour of video onto one DVD, the encoder has to start degrading from the best .mpg2 quality level by sliding off from the optimum bitrate in order to fit it on a 4.7 gig disc. I assume most programs will do that. If it doesn't, then I would think it would force you to have two volumes for the project. Obviously the dual layer disks are a different story, and will have twice the time.

In Pinnacle Studio, this is clearly demonstrated as you approach and pass the one hour mark. You can see the bitrate change as you add more footage to the project.

David Walding August 19th, 2006 01:20 PM

Wow...thanks for the clarification. I will watch this.

Ervin Farkas August 19th, 2006 02:40 PM

Yes David, both Premiere and Encore will adjust the bitrate according to the capacity of the DVD you feed into the burner. But normally you should not see significant degradation in pix quality for up to about 90 minutes! Just use the default settings for NTSC without changing anything.

The mpeg2 encoder included in Premiere and Encore is not the best though, so if you really need higher quality, you should look into using a better encoding software.

David Ziegelheim August 19th, 2006 10:30 PM

Have you contacted MainConcept or Adobe?
Breaking the settings apart:

NTSC, 720x480, 29.97 non-drop frame [fps], Lower: Standard DV settings. However, 24p would need to store 20% fewer frames.

Quality 4.5: why is this 4.5 instead of 5?

448 [kbps], 48 kHz, 3/2 (L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs - 5.1 Surround), Dolby Digital: audio. Are you really doing 5.1? I thought this encoder was an option with something like three free trial runs included. On my system, it triples the estimated file size compared to MPEG audio. Not having run it, I don’t know the actual effect

VBR, 2 Pass, Min 9.00, Target 9.00, Max 9.00 [Mbps]: Why use VBR when the min, average, and max are all constrained to maximum values? It sort of defeats the purpose of using vbr instead of cbr. Using 3/7/9 instead reduces the estimated file size 20%.

Jon Jaschob August 19th, 2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
The mpeg2 encoder included in Premiere and Encore is not the best though, so if you really need higher quality, you should look into using a better encoding software.

And what would be better HD to mpeg2 encoding software?
Jon