DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Extracting/Editing Video from a menu-based DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/74611-extracting-editing-video-menu-based-dvd.html)

Ken McGrath August 31st, 2006 11:46 AM

Extracting/Editing Video from a menu-based DVD

I just acquired a menu-based DVD (made by an amateur videographer) and I need to extract out the video so I can edit in Premiere Pro 2.0. I am well familiar with editing .avi files, but how do I extract the video/audio files from the DVD to my editing timeline? Thanks!

Ervin Farkas August 31st, 2006 02:01 PM

This has been discussed often on the forum - your DVD file is basically mpeg2. Simply rename it from .vob to .mpg or .mpeg and Premiere Pro 1.5 will import it no problems.

Ken McGrath August 31st, 2006 05:42 PM

OK, thanks. I will try that. Since I first posted I have been using a program to convert the vob files to wmv files, but it sounds like I can skip that. I hope so since the render times are horrendous.

Mike Horrigan August 31st, 2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken McGrath
OK, thanks. I will try that. Since I first posted I have been using a program to convert the vob files to wmv files, but it sounds like I can skip that. I hope so since the render times are horrendous.

Ken, I've been doing the same thing.

I also tried Ervin's suggestion above, it allows me to get the footage in PPro 1.5 but it doesn't playback properly. Super fast speed...

Let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks,

Mike

Ervin Farkas September 1st, 2006 06:20 AM

Mike, I am not at home now, but I believe it does play back right away after conforming; keyword: after conforming - the file is listed as imported immediately, but it has to go through the conforming process first. If not, you may need to render the footage first. If all else fails, after importing your footage into Premiere, try exporting it as a DV-AVI file (that's what your final target is anyway) and then import it again and do the editing. If I get a chance over this coming long weekend, I'm going to play with it and see exactly how it's working on my PC.

Mike Horrigan September 1st, 2006 09:13 AM

Thanks, that would be great. I've tried exporting it and importing it back in, no luck. Still plays funny.

BTW, does PPro 2.0 take VOB directly, wthout the pain in the ... ?

I may upgrade...

Mike

Ken McGrath September 3rd, 2006 07:29 AM

Yes, it worked fine for me. I have PP 2.0, and I did not notice any diminished playback properties. All I did was change file extension from .vob to .mpg., import as usual, and edit. No problems whatsoever.

Mike Horrigan September 5th, 2006 07:34 AM

Thanks Ken, maybe if I upgrade to 2.0 it will handle the .vob to .mpg change a little better.

Ervin Farkas September 5th, 2006 07:37 AM

Mike, sorry I didn't get around checking this out over the long weekend - we had friends after friends over and simply couldn't find the time. It should work on 1.5 as well - I'll let youk now asap.

Mike Horrigan September 5th, 2006 08:23 AM

No problem, thanks!

Mike