would this book be any good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 17th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

would this book be any good?

hi all im pretty new to all of this and im trying to get as much info as possible on all elements of production and was wondering if this book would help me learn all i need to know about premiere? or is there anything else that you would recommend?

http://www.bookfellas.co.uk/scripts/...915&source=J69

i will be using premiere for all of my editing so i need as much help as i can get and also just learning about all pixel aspect ratio's and all that stuff.

Thanks!!!
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #2
Major Player

I would recommend Total Training video for Adobe Premiere, this is really excellent resource.

www.totaltraining.com
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Liam,

If you're like me at all, you will have a difficult time learning computer software out of a book. Couldn't learn it myself without the training DVDs and CDs. Total Training is expensive , but well worth it. How To Gurus have training CDs too, and they are not too bad. Check out Ebay for various auctions.

If you don't find what you need in a few weeks, drop me a line. I may be selling my Total Training DVDs for Premiere 1.5 soon, as I just bought the Studio Premium package. I'm still debating keeping them to help train others locally.

Good luck,

Mike
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Trustee

I highly recommend that you look into the Total Training DVDs. In lieu of that, the book you reference was written by the same guy who does that training, and the included DVD had some very good material on it. By the way, there is a version 2.0 of that book as well.

(Using the same site as originally referenced)

http://www.bookfellas.co.uk/scripts/...asp?ref=771464

You might want to start off with a step-by-step book like the one Jeff Schell did and then get Jacob's book ...

http://www.bookfellas.co.uk/scripts/...asp?ref=766199
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #5
Major Player

PP Studio Techniques is probably the best PP book. Highly recommended. I assume the DVD has the samples.

The TT videos are nice. However, I find it much harder to learn from a video.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm going through the Premiere Pro 2.0 version of this book, same author, and so far I think its an excellent text. I think learning from video presentations is great, as it often shows you exactly what they are doing on the computer screen, and then the result.
However, you can't go wrong with having a text handy, and when you're learning the basics, it may be more efficient to look things up in a text while you're working with the program rather than trying to fire up a video and find the spot that talks about what you're after.
The Total Training stuff might be better when you're already familar with the program a bit, and want to get deeper into some of its features. On the other hand, some videos really help you get up and running with a program fast. I haven't used the Total Training videos for Premiere, so I don't know. But the book is going to be a lot cheaper, and mine came with a DVD that has videos on it too.
I'd say go for the book and then see how you feel after that.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I can attest to both the 1.5 and 2.0 versions of PPro Studio Techniques. I had used Premiere, as well as Avid, for a number of years and had very picaresque and misguided methods and workflows while operating NLEs. The 1.5 book did an amazing job of straightening me out and helping me get disciplined and structured while working PPro 1.5, which is the most important element of editing you need to learn. Jacob has a very informed and conversational tone and does not fluctuate between painfully simplistic and overwhelmingly technical (like Blain Brown's "Motion Picture and Video Lighting", for example).

I will E-mail you, as I have no need for my 1.5 book.
Joshua Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Adobe Classroom In A Book

Personally, the book I buy for any new Adobe product is the Adobe Classroom in a Book for the product. The books are put together well, full color, and include a CD or DVD with tutorial assets. That's where I'd recommend starting.

I am currently working through the Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 book myself, I have in the past used the Photoshop and the Illustrator Classroom in a Book books with great success.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #9
Trustee

The current price for the Premiere Pro 1.5 Total Training videos is pretty darn cheap. Under $60

It won't cover the new stuff, but it would sure give you a head start. Take a look for it on the Total Training site.
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
The current price for the Premiere Pro 1.5 Total Training videos is pretty darn cheap. Under $60
Not only that, its done by the same guy who authored the book, so it really comes down to what your personal preference is, read it or watch it. From my experience, its rare that a video tutorial doesn't accelerate the learning curve.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite