DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   How to touch up without messing up your timeline? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/78268-how-touch-up-without-messing-up-your-timeline.html)

Aviv Hallale October 26th, 2006 12:03 PM

How to touch up without messing up your timeline?

I have quite a full timeline, lots of L cuts and crossfades between sound and ambience tracks. The director wants one shot a bit shorter, however because of the timeline's structure I wont be able to ripple delete. Is the only way to do this successfully by moving all the clips manually? I have a few nested sequences that also has video and audio transitions between each other....Will that little trim cause a lot of grief?

What methods do you use to avoid this?

Richard Alvarez October 26th, 2006 12:51 PM

WHat are you cutting on? Different NLE's handle ripples differently.

Aviv Hallale October 26th, 2006 01:18 PM

PPro 2.

I have an ambient track for one scene that crossfades into the one of another and a couple of L cuts with some dialogue between two characters, so It's not really possible to ripple delete the whole timeline.

Trimming down one clip is gonna give a lot of hassles moving everything into place in regards to other clips that have been edited to the beat of a track.

Jon Jaschob October 26th, 2006 05:26 PM

Although I may be telling you to close the barn door after the cows have left.....

1) When I create the timeline, I use nested sequences. Like, scene 1 is one sequence, scene 2 is another sequence, etc... this way I have a lot of control and relatively short sequences to deal with.

2) I never mix audio in PPro. All my audio comes in as one wav file exported form Audition, granted, most of my audio is done in post, I shoot MOS. You have a lot more control by using only one audio file in PPro. Even if I use live sound I use audition to mix and master.

My work flow is about the same as I use in Flash and most of my organizational techniques come from that point of view, thus the nested elements, separate audio, video files, etc...

Other than that I use the the "M" and "V" key to move stuff around while locking and unlocking tracks.

One last thing I have found very helpful is my audio tracks, no matter when they start in the time line, always really start at TC 0. Even if I have 10 minutes of silence in front of where they go, I always start at zero. I hate trying to sync up audio over and over so I edit the audio right along with the video in audition. If the video changes, I re-import the video into audition and adjust the audio there, then output back to PPRo. But then, I don't have anyone asking me to edit the video timeline after it's done. I always finish the video edits, lock them down, the start on the audio, lock that, then start the foley, etc.... But if I do need to trim something it's not too bad, up to a point.

One thing that might work for you is to pull the main timeline into another sequence and trim it there????

Good luck,
Jon

Aviv Hallale October 26th, 2006 11:30 PM

Well, I do have a few seqeuences, but there are transitions between them so if I were to alter the clips in a sequence, it could interfere with the total length of the sequence and then cause problems with a dissolve.

Mike Teutsch October 26th, 2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
Well, I do have a few seqeuences, but there are transitions between them so if I were to alter the clips in a sequence, it could interfere with the total length of the sequence and then cause problems with a dissolve.

It would be very useful to know just how much time we are talking about.

Mike

Jon Jaschob October 27th, 2006 12:27 AM

sorry, not much help...

Also, not to hard to make a copy of the project and try a few different things.
Every project is different so it's pretty hard to give a definitive answer to an abstract question. When in doubt, back up, make a copy, experiment....
Jon

Aviv Hallale October 27th, 2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
It would be very useful to know just how much time we are talking about.

Mike

About two seconds.

Cal Johnson October 28th, 2006 08:57 AM

You can't just use the mutiple track select tool and move everything you need to at once?

Mike Teutsch October 31st, 2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
About two seconds.

So you don't have to cut or move anything, put in a fade to black and 2 seconds of black frames! All fixed. Extend a transition, properly.

Mike