How to touch up without messing up your timeline? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Major Player

How to touch up without messing up your timeline?

I have quite a full timeline, lots of L cuts and crossfades between sound and ambience tracks. The director wants one shot a bit shorter, however because of the timeline's structure I wont be able to ripple delete. Is the only way to do this successfully by moving all the clips manually? I have a few nested sequences that also has video and audio transitions between each other....Will that little trim cause a lot of grief?

What methods do you use to avoid this?
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

WHat are you cutting on? Different NLE's handle ripples differently.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Major Player

PPro 2.

I have an ambient track for one scene that crossfades into the one of another and a couple of L cuts with some dialogue between two characters, so It's not really possible to ripple delete the whole timeline.

Trimming down one clip is gonna give a lot of hassles moving everything into place in regards to other clips that have been edited to the beat of a track.
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Although I may be telling you to close the barn door after the cows have left.....

1) When I create the timeline, I use nested sequences. Like, scene 1 is one sequence, scene 2 is another sequence, etc... this way I have a lot of control and relatively short sequences to deal with.

2) I never mix audio in PPro. All my audio comes in as one wav file exported form Audition, granted, most of my audio is done in post, I shoot MOS. You have a lot more control by using only one audio file in PPro. Even if I use live sound I use audition to mix and master.

My work flow is about the same as I use in Flash and most of my organizational techniques come from that point of view, thus the nested elements, separate audio, video files, etc...

Other than that I use the the "M" and "V" key to move stuff around while locking and unlocking tracks.

One last thing I have found very helpful is my audio tracks, no matter when they start in the time line, always really start at TC 0. Even if I have 10 minutes of silence in front of where they go, I always start at zero. I hate trying to sync up audio over and over so I edit the audio right along with the video in audition. If the video changes, I re-import the video into audition and adjust the audio there, then output back to PPRo. But then, I don't have anyone asking me to edit the video timeline after it's done. I always finish the video edits, lock them down, the start on the audio, lock that, then start the foley, etc.... But if I do need to trim something it's not too bad, up to a point.

One thing that might work for you is to pull the main timeline into another sequence and trim it there????

Good luck,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, I do have a few seqeuences, but there are transitions between them so if I were to alter the clips in a sequence, it could interfere with the total length of the sequence and then cause problems with a dissolve.
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
Well, I do have a few seqeuences, but there are transitions between them so if I were to alter the clips in a sequence, it could interfere with the total length of the sequence and then cause problems with a dissolve.

It would be very useful to know just how much time we are talking about.

Mike
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #7
Major Player

sorry, not much help...

Also, not to hard to make a copy of the project and try a few different things.
Every project is different so it's pretty hard to give a definitive answer to an abstract question. When in doubt, back up, make a copy, experiment....
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
It would be very useful to know just how much time we are talking about.

Mike
About two seconds.
Old October 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #9
Major Player

You can't just use the mutiple track select tool and move everything you need to at once?
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
About two seconds.

So you don't have to cut or move anything, put in a fade to black and 2 seconds of black frames! All fixed. Extend a transition, properly.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite