Premiere 1.0 no audio on capturing from tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old November 7th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere 1.0 no audio on capturing from tape

I know I'm behind the times but here it goes...

I'm having problems with Premiere 1.0. I have exported my movie to DV tape. I know the sound is there because I played the deck without anyconnections to the computer.

I wanted to change a segment on my miniDV tape, so I captured via firewire cable. The video was there but the audio was missing! I used other tapes and they do the same thing.

I tested with new firewire cables and changed the firewire card. I'm running on a Dell Precision 340 with 1 gig of ram. The disks are internal and are maxtors 200 gig 7200 rpm.

I checked the settings in Premiere and everything looks the same. I can't figure out why my audio is missing when I capture my movie back to Premiere.

I'm running Windows XP SP 2 and I'm running out of things to troubleshoot.

I thinking of reinstalling Adobe Premiere program and changing out the sound card from the integrated one to a SoudBlaster Xfi.

Help! I've been troubleshooting for 3 days and I'm running out of ideas....

BTW..There is no sound in Windows Media and Microsoft Movie Maker gets no audio as well. (Same results as Premiere)

Thanks!
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Jamie, I'm running Premiere Pro 2.0, so I don't know the differences in the program interface that you might encounter. In 2.0, when you open up the capture window, there is a setting right at the top of the Logging tab that can be set to capture audio and video, just video, or just audio. You might want to check and see if you have that option in 1.0 and if its set to "audio and video".

If you're sure you have the capture settings correct, and you still don't have audio,keep in mind what AVI stands for: "Audio/Video Interleave". If you're capturing from your camera with the capture settings set for both audio and video, then the audio has got to be there, you're just not hearing it. Try bringing a clip either into Premiere, or better yet an audio editing program, and expand the track so you can see the wave form of the audio track. If no audio was recorded, then it should just be a flat line. If audio was recorded, you should see a wave form there, and it means that for some reason your computer just isn't putting out the audio signal.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Premiere 1.0 no audio

Thanks, Carl.

I've already checked the settings and I got the Audio and Video set. The audio line is completely flat and it's just weird.

I've tried Microsoft Movie Maker as a test and I get the same result. It maybe my computer. I'm going to try a sound card and disable the integrated sound to see it this will work.
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Major Player

DV allows for a number of audio formats - not all of them are well-supported by software.

Can you confirm the audio format of your problem tape? Typically, you should be able to configure your camcorder to display the audio format on the LCD/viewfinder.

The least supported audio format is 44.1kHz.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

While I can't be sure what the problem is... this might help.

Older versions of Premiere captured audio and video as separate files... not as one AVI file with audio and video interleaved. I'm not sure about Premiere Pro 1.0. As mentioned, under the "logging" tab you need to be sure you have Premiere set to capture "Audio and Video".

Next, Premiere has a setting for audio playback that can be confusing... under the "Project" menu, choose "Project Settings ... General", then press the "Playback Settings" button. Here you can set the audio to play on your DV device (your camcorder), or on your desktop. If this is set to your DV device, audio won't play back on your PC, and it can appear that you didn't capture any audio even when you did.

For audio playback you need to check your Windows sound settings (through the control panel). There are different sources for sound playback. You need to be sure that the volume control for WAV/MP3 playback is not muted, and that the volume slider is up at least halfway... otherwise you won't hear the audio playback from Premiere.

I hope this helps you! I know how frustrating this can be.

Tom

Last edited by Tom Vaughan; November 8th, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaughan
First, Premiere captures audio and video as separate files... not as one AVI file with audio and video interleaved.Tom
Premiere does capture a video file with audio as a single AVI file. The settings tab in the capture window allows you to specify a separate capture location for captured video, and captured audio. However, by captured audio it means audio that you specifically captured separately from video capture, such as an audio only capture from your camcorder or recording a voice over, for instance. Before you post back, go ahead and set your video capture and your audio capture to two separate locations, then capture some video with audio. The AVI file with be captured, WITH AUDIO, in the folder specified for video. Try deleting your "video" file that you captured, and then tell me that you found the audio still present in the folder you specified for audio capture. Nope.

Last edited by Cal Johnson; November 8th, 2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Premiere has always captured audio and video to separate files... at least for me it has, in the past (up to version 6.5). I'm sure of it... all my raw captured files were separate. I now realize that for Premiere Pro 1.5 you are correct... even with the audio and video file locations set to different directories the audio and video remained interleaved with the video file... thanks for the tip.

So the question remains... is the audio missing, or there?

Jaime - If you right-click the file in Windows, and choose "properties", the dialog box that appears will show you if the file includes audio.

If the audio is there, but you can't hear it... check the "playback settings", or check the volume in your sound control panel for "wav/mp3".

Tom

Last edited by Tom Vaughan; November 9th, 2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Premiere 1.0 no audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F Miller
DV allows for a number of audio formats - not all of them are well-supported by software.

Can you confirm the audio format of your problem tape? Typically, you should be able to configure your camcorder to display the audio format on the LCD/viewfinder.

The least supported audio format is 44.1kHz.
I use the Sony TRV900 as my deck. The audio format only shows 12 bit and 16 bit. I've tried both to no avail.

I now know every audio switch on Premiere Pro. Nothing works at this point....
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #9
Wrangler

Lets get some facts straight.

Premiere has been able to capture video and audio seperately if you have a Matrox board installed; if you were running premiere 6.5 on a RTX 100 or earlier (Avi with WAV). After this Matrox decided to capture an interleaved video/audio file (1 AVI).

If you run Premiere software only, then the audio and video has always been captured as an interleaved video/audio file (1 AVI).

We are all hear to try and help others, no need to take offence to any posts.

Tom please confirm if you were using matrox hardware?

Thanks,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old November 10th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Ed.

Yes, I used a Matrox RT/2000 until lately. That explains it for me. Thanks for clarifying.

Tom
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite