HDV still choppy in Pro 2.0 with new processor - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 26th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #31
Trustee

No scope of any kind. Sorry I was vague but this computer is using all new parts. Brand new Intel 975 motherboard and brand new core2 duo. Brand new Ati radeon PCI-E and Nvidia PCI-E cards. I did try an older PCI Radeon card as a 2nd graphics card but it will not work. I am not looking for a power house as far as graphics go.

I was looking to get a card that drove 2 displays and an HDTV and still have decent 3d for apps that call for it. This card does not exist in the sub $300 market. I opted for a main card to drive one LCD and the HDTV and the other lower end card to drive the 2nd LCD.

My problem comes from stuttering due to a video card problem. It should playback smooth but no matter what I do I get stutter on HDTV unless I use an ATI and in that case I cannot get 2 cards to play together inside the PC.

I will post my finding tomorrow as I am testing a new setup.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #32
Wrangler

A new Core 2 Duo system should not have any trouble running a smooth full-screen 2nd monitor display...certainly a lot of us have lesser systems that do it fine. So yeah, unfortunately it does sound like the wild card is having two video cards in the system. I'm afraid I can't be of any help on that.

Has anyone else been able to get PCIe and PCI to play nice together on a PPro editing box as Marty is trying to do?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #33
Major Player

I am trying to get the 2-card thing going as well, because most cards only have 2 DVI outs and then an HD TV out, but I have heard the HDTV is terrible so I want to run my HDTV over DVI-HDMI as a third monitor. However, if I am hearing the HDTV out isnt too bad (no interlacing artifacts and such) I might change my mind.

Are you going to try a 2nd 1950 Marty?
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #34
Trustee

I think I stumbled onto a solution for the moment but as always it entails a little workaround.

First, I can say that I never got 2 ATI cards to work together. I did "not" try 2 X1950 cards though. These are super expensive cards and since I really only need the 2nd card to drive a single LCD it would have been overkill. But the X1950 would not work with a 9250 PCI card or a x300SE PCI express card.

So I am back to the Nvidia card for the moment. All 2 displays are working but I am seeing stuttering only when playing back to the HDTV through the component out. I am using a 7900 Nvidia card now so it is a more powerful card. I stumbled onto a setting that I had not seen before in the control panel where I forced the output of the Component to 720P instead of 1080i and the stuttering is gone completely. However I can see a loss of resolution versus the 1080i mode.

It does not stutter when playing to the 2nd LCD which is 1680x1050 res.

This is where I am at. My HDTV does not do DVI connection so I am forced to use the component out.

Can anyone else try previewing out through the component HD at 1080i and see if it is stutter free?

Thanks!

Hoping that I am finally starting to get somewhere.
Old November 26th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #35
Major Player

Why not Cineform for all projects?

If you use the Cineform preset, the Cineform intermediate is created in background while capturing so there is no "extra step" (though the file is 3X larger). I also have a dual-core machine (P4 840 EE, so hyperthreaded) and have very smooth preview/playback.

I am using the Matrox Parhelia APVe video card with the desktop connected DVI and my second 1050x1680 panel connected analog/component HD.

I only see 100% CPU utilization on capturing and on long render-outs. It loafs along in preview/editing.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik

My HDTV does not do DVI connection so I am forced to use the component out.

My HDV TV only has HDMI input, but I bought a conversion cord at Walmart for $25.00 that does the conversion fine. I actually now am running my 1620 by 1050 Dell Wide screen as my program monitor, and bring the HiDef TV up as the preview monitor. My TV is only 1366 x 768 resolution, but obviously scales to 1080i, because I can tell the difference between 720 p, and 1080i.
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
My HDV TV only has HDMI input, but I bought a conversion cord at Walmart for $25.00 that does the conversion fine. I actually now am running my 1620 by 1050 Dell Wide screen as my program monitor, and bring the HiDef TV up as the preview monitor. My TV is only 1366 x 768 resolution, but obviously scales to 1080i, because I can tell the difference between 720 p, and 1080i.
Mine has no digital inputs at all. So component is the only way for now.
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Blish
If you use the Cineform preset, the Cineform intermediate is created in background while capturing so there is no "extra step" (though the file is 3X larger). I also have a dual-core machine (P4 840 EE, so hyperthreaded) and have very smooth preview/playback.

I am using the Matrox Parhelia APVe video card with the desktop connected DVI and my second 1050x1680 panel connected analog/component HD.

I only see 100% CPU utilization on capturing and on long render-outs. It loafs along in preview/editing.
I decided to use the cineform output and it is giving me problems. This particular piece is a wedding shot at 60i and the cineform output from premiere appears to lose sync and it looks like I have the fields reversed. There is a stagger to the clips as they play as if the field order is wrong. However that has nothing to do with it. Sometimes it works for a few seconds but it always seems to lose it. This is with the disable preview moded option unchecked for full res previews. IF you don't check this CIneform downsamples for preview and you can see the loss of resolution.

There seems to be a problem every which way I turn. Arggg!!
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Marty,

Don't know if this will help, but have you checked he "Playback Setting" in the "Project Settings?"

There are three differant settings for the "Desktop Display Mode." Compatable, Standard, and Accelerated GPU Effects.

Compatable: uses system CPU for render and playback

Standard: Renders with CPU, displays with Graphics card or GPU

Accelerated GPU Effects: Uses uses GPU for rendering the frames for display, and viewing.

Accelerated GPU Effects is for those who have those neat fast graphics cards, which I don't have.

If your footage is 24p, then above Desktop Display Mode, there is the 24p Conversion Method. May make a difference to some.

These are new to PPro 2.0, and I just found them. Hope it will help, but at least I'm trying! :)

Mike
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #40
Trustee

Mike,
I have tried all of these! None of them seem to make any difference. To be clear I am getting full screen playback to my PC LCD screens with no choppiness. However playback out the HDTV component at 1080i from the same NVidia card gets choppy on my TV. Changing the resolution of the component output to 720p seems to alleviate the problem however I lose visible resolution on my tv for monitoring. I am thinking for now I have to preview playback at 720p and switch to 1080i for critical color adjusting and effects. not Ideal but at least it is working somewhat.

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately I already tried those!

Marty
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Sad, sorry I could not help. Frustrating isn't it?!?!?!

Keep working on it.

Mike
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
Mike,
I have tried all of these! None of them seem to make any difference. To be clear I am getting full screen playback to my PC LCD screens with no choppiness. However playback out the HDTV component at 1080i from the same NVidia card gets choppy on my TV. Changing the resolution of the component output to 720p seems to alleviate the problem however I lose visible resolution on my tv for monitoring. I am thinking for now I have to preview playback at 720p and switch to 1080i for critical color adjusting and effects. not Ideal but at least it is working somewhat.

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately I already tried those!

Marty
From your description, I guessing the conversion back to analogue component out in 1080i is reaching the limits of the video card. With my set up, I actually have a program monitor showing on the monitor that I edit on, and the program monitor also show on the HDTV. Both are digital outputs, but I wonder if adding conversion to component out would be an issue....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite