DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Errors in Premeire pro 2.0? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/80413-errors-premeire-pro-2-0-a.html)

Joel Davis November 26th, 2006 03:48 PM

Errors in Premeire pro 2.0?

Hi Guys,

I have been working on a large project of just over 1 hour in length and maybe about 1000 clips shot in standard definition. I was using Premiere pro 1.0 and decided to upgrade to Premiere pro 2.0 to take advantage of its colour correction features, this is where the trouble started.
I installed Premiere pro 2.0 and opened my project file, gave it a new name and saved it. The first thing I noticed was the rendering was gone (red lines, no green) in the timeline. This was ok everything was working good, I didn't re-render because it was going to take a long time and I wanted to play around with the new program. So I got stuck into the colour correction and before long I had done almost half of the movie, this is were the trouble started.
The first warning I got was:
Premiere is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution.
So I figured this was happening because I hadn't been rendering the timeline as I went, so I saved and tried removing some of the colour correction effects working backwards and tried to render small sections but it kept crashing and became very unstable and the following errors:
Video preview error
Error compiling movie
Unknown error/Out of memory.

So I went out and got some more memory, now I have 2GB of RAM and the virtual memory paging file has also been increased. The project is slightly more stable but I'm still getting the same errors and it crashes.
It works perfect on other smaller projects but this major project has killed it. I tried re-opening the original file before colour correction was added but this file is also unstable now too. Should I delete all the preview files, conformed audio files etc. and start again rendering before I start adding more effects? These files from the new project are all mixed in together with the original project and I don't want to jeopardise the original file because the project still works perfect in the old version of Premiere.

Any help please ???

Mike Teutsch November 26th, 2006 04:07 PM

Hi Joel,

Sounds like you are running a MAC if I am not mistaken. Those errors are MAC computer related not PPro related it think!

Wrangler, this needs to be moved to the MAC forum I believe. Check it out!

Mike

Paul R Johnson November 26th, 2006 04:09 PM

The usual rule is never upgrade during a project. Can you go back to the old version? If so, then I'd finish in pp1, then export the avi file. You can then do the upgrade and import the file into the new one.

I suspect it's the way pp2 handles the background task files - I've not found out how and why some of the files I keep finding came from?

Joel Davis November 26th, 2006 04:23 PM

Thanks guys,

Mike I'm on a PC.

Paul, I can still open the original project file in PP 1.0, thats why I saved it under a different name before doing anything with it in PP 2.0 just in case something like this happened.
So If I was to export as an AVI to import into PP 2.0, how would I do it without loosing any resolution? i.e. which export settings/codec? a microsoft avi without compression would be a HUGE file for a 1 hour movie!
I usually just frameserve into my mpeg2 encoder so I have little experience with exporting high quality files.

Mike Teutsch November 26th, 2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Davis
Thanks guys,

Mike I'm on a PC.

Sorry, just trying to help! Only time I ever got out of memory errors was on a MAC.

Good Luck---Mike

Leo Pepingco November 26th, 2006 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=Joel Davis]So If I was to export as an AVI to import into PP 2.0, how would I do it without loosing any resolution? i.e. which export settings/codec? a microsoft avi without compression would be a HUGE file for a 1 hour movie! [QUOTE]

G'day Joel,

Exporting to a .avi file basically holds 99.99999999999999999999999% of the original data. So its pretty much all of it. The best way is when exporting is to export as an avi file, and not to touch anything (unless you see something that you recognise and know will help keep the file resolution in tact.)

Hope this helps.

Joel Davis November 26th, 2006 07:53 PM

G'day Leo,

So I will export the movie from PP 1.0 as a Microsoft AVI with no compression and import it into PP 2.0 for colour correction. Maybe I should break it up into smaller chunks too, its will be a huge file!

Thanks

Joel.

Leo Pepingco November 26th, 2006 09:41 PM

Yea, the downside to keeping everything the same as it was on the tape is the size of the file.

1 hour of footage should approximately be 14 gigs an hour at most.

And yes, I think it can also be easier to be chopped up into smaller bits. But unless you got a computer that can handle a chunk of info at the same time, it might be a lot of work to chop it up.

But, as long as you get the result you want, then its all good by me.

Good luck mate.

Damian Clarke November 27th, 2006 02:25 AM

Thats DV size, if it's gonna be uncompressed it will run about 70Gigs

Harm Millaard November 27th, 2006 04:48 AM

Why not export as MS-DV AVI type2, same as your project settings? You won't gain anything from uncompressed. It will only mean increased storage requirements and an extra load for PP 2.0, since uncompressed must be rendered again.

I would just export to DV type 2 in two chunks of 30 minutes each, color correct the first in 2.0 and export to MPEG-DVD, repeat for the second file and then author.

Leo Pepingco November 27th, 2006 08:14 PM

I dont see the logic in making it uncompressed. As Harm said, its just more time wasted rendering.

.avi files should hold all the information as the original.

Bart Walczak November 28th, 2006 02:09 AM

Have you tried rendering your colour corrected files? From my experience most of the hangups and crashes result from premiere trying to keep up with me scrubbing on the unrendered files and failing. This has to do with either processor speed or hard drive speed (mostly former). It's a buggy code, I agree, but once you know what to avoid, it gets easier.

Also, colour correction filters in 1.0 are different than in 2.0.

Harm Millaard November 28th, 2006 03:29 AM

Joel,

If you follow my suggestion, you will achieve a couple of things.

1. Your new 2.0 projects will each contain only one clip, which do not need rendering. That reduces the load significantly and works a lot faster than your current project with around a 1.000 clips.
2. The color corrector in 2.0 is IMO much better than in 1.x
3. The rendering of the color corrected parts will be easier on the system.
4. Scrolling through the time line will be more responsive.
5. The only places where you will experience a generation loss is in the rendered parts of your time line.
6. You can export the audio in AC3 5.1 format if you have the Surcode plug-in.
7. You can export the video to AVI and have Encore do the transcoding.

Paul Cuoco November 28th, 2006 04:10 PM

Joel,

I had this same problem and have checked here and the Adobe forums. As far as I can tell the problem seems to occur in large projects with nested timelines and many clips. Some have attributed it to ATI video cards running in dual monitor mode.

The suggestions above rendering out to a single file will certainly clear up the problem as it would be a single clip solution. Another would be to try to use the project trimmer to reduce the amount of clips in the project, and if you're using an ATI video card, try running in single monitor mode and see if that helps.

Paul

Joel Davis November 28th, 2006 09:10 PM

Thanks guys for all the help,

Harm, how do I export to MS-DV type 2 exactly? I select Microsft DV AVI then under video I have to choose a compressor but which one? if you have PP 2.0 you know what my compressor options are.

Bart, I can't do anything with this project in PP 2.0 now its completely unstable.
The colour correction filters in PP 2.0 are much much nicer than those in PP 1.0, this is why I upgraded.

Paul, Im only using one monitor.