DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Transitions in Premiere Pro 2.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/81240-transitions-premiere-pro-2-0-a.html)

Jeremiah Rickert December 8th, 2006 04:38 AM

Transitions in Premiere Pro 2.0

I've been using Premiere 6.5 for a long long time (I have a RT card that requires it) but recently I purchased a dual core laptop and wanted to use Premiere Pro 2.0 because it can utilize dual core processing. (and the RT card is a little passe now anyway).

I noticed that PP2.0 doesn't have the "transition" track in down on the work area as P6.5 does. Is there any way in the preferences to add this transition track? It was soooooo easy to manipulate transitions by being able to drag them overlapping Video 1 and Video 2. It took me 5 minutes to change the length of the transition in PP2.0 and because they don't overlap, on things like a cross-dissolve you can't seem to control how much of each track it fades in/out of.

Or is there a faster way I don't know about?

Just a little frustrating that it took me 15 minutes to get a track to fade to black...something I can do in 2 minutes in 6.5. I realize that it'll take me time to get used to PP2.0, but it still seems a bit silly to get rid of the transition track.

Mark Morikawa December 8th, 2006 05:03 AM

are you familiar with single track vs. a/b editing? you can choose to stick with a/b editing which is what you are used to... but i would suggest you just get used to single track editing because it saves screen space. if you want to change the over lap, just drag the edges of the transition icon on the timeline to the length you want. making the transition icon bigger/wider increases the overlap and slows the speed of the transition. if you want to change the in/out points of the clips, you might have to delete the transition, drag the edges of the clip and put the transition back. i would say thats the only disadvantage of single track editing.

i don't have ppro2 so i cant tell you how to switch your workspace back to a/b editing if you wanted to. but a/b editing is an echo of the analog era so i don't recommend it in the digital age.

Miguel Lombana December 8th, 2006 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert
I've been using Premiere 6.5 for a long long time (I have a RT card that requires it) but recently I purchased a dual core laptop and wanted to use Premiere Pro 2.0 because it can utilize dual core processing. (and the RT card is a little passe now anyway).

I noticed that PP2.0 doesn't have the "transition" track in down on the work area as P6.5 does. Is there any way in the preferences to add this transition track? It was soooooo easy to manipulate transitions by being able to drag them overlapping Video 1 and Video 2. It took me 5 minutes to change the length of the transition in PP2.0 and because they don't overlap, on things like a cross-dissolve you can't seem to control how much of each track it fades in/out of.

Or is there a faster way I don't know about?

Just a little frustrating that it took me 15 minutes to get a track to fade to black...something I can do in 2 minutes in 6.5. I realize that it'll take me time to get used to PP2.0, but it still seems a bit silly to get rid of the transition track.

Jeremiah,

I also use a real time card, in my case from canopus and i migrated to ppro 1.5 and now 2.0 from 6.5 as well. Give it a few minutes and trust me you'll never look back!

you say that you can do a track fade to black in 6.5 in under 2 minutes, i think that once you learn your way around the single track you'll be able to do that same fade in under 5 seconds! that's how long it took me just now that i checked.

there are some great tutorials on the web as well as some great books if you need to get a jump start on editing in 2.0, but rest assured you will love it! you will also find that the majority of the items that you used to offload to the real time card can now be done in premier pro without a card and without rendering, the renderless timeline is very nice and something that you will quickly love!

if you have any questions on how to, go ahead and post here or PM me and I'll see if i can help you make the transition.

miguel

Harm Millaard December 8th, 2006 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel Lombana
Jeremiah,

I also use a real time card, in my case from canopus and i migrated to ppro 1.5 and now 2.0 from 6.5 as well. Give it a few minutes and trust me you'll never look back!

miguel

Premiere Pro 2.0 is a great application, once you get familiar with single line editing, but I know for certain that all Canopus cards gave serious trouble with Premiere Pro 1.0 and 1.5. Problems that were never solved. Canopus has never even tried to support 2.0, in fact they stopped support for all Adobe products.

Have you never experienced any of the many issues, widely discussed on the Canopus forums? If that is the case, you must be the 1 in a million exception.

I would advise to just use a simple OHCI card. I have dumped all my RT cards (among them the Raptor, Storm and Matrox RT-X100) and still count my blessings.

John Miller December 8th, 2006 09:00 AM

Quote:

I have to agree with you. When I transitioned (no pun intended, of course) from 6.5 to Pro 1.5, I found the single track editing very unintuitive. I tried to get used to it but, for some things, the A/B mode is just better!

The ability to choose would be nice. But doesn't exist.

Harm Millaard December 8th, 2006 09:09 AM

In a sense it still exists. Not in the timeline but in the effects window.

Jeremiah Rickert December 8th, 2006 05:43 PM

Yeah...

Thanks for the responses...it takes a lot less than 2 minutes, I just tossed that number out there.

I know that I need to get used to single track. I suppose it's like that with any kind of software. If I get in a time-crunch, I might go back to 6.5 just because I'm so much faster at it.

It just seems to make more sense logically (and spatially) to have A/B with a transition track between. I'll keep at it. Rendering on the dual core is pretty fun. Never thought I'd say that.

An example of my confusion:

I have gone through and made splices. I have two pieces that I'd like to cross dissolve. When I drag the transition it will only let me drag the transition to the end of one piece or the beginning of the other, but not "Across" both of them. So what I end up with is a gradual fade to black and then the second piece just pops on. It won't let me straddle the two or just drag it between. In the transition window, it only shows one of the pieces, and not the second, so there's no way to adjust the alignment of the transition. (and the alignment thingy is grayed out).

When all else fails, try following instructions, I know, :)

Jeremiah

Pete Bauer December 8th, 2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

When I drag the transition it will only let me drag the transition to the end of one piece or the beginning of the other, but not "Across" both of them. So what I end up with is a gradual fade to black and then the second piece just pops on. It won't let me straddle the two or just drag it between.

Probably the reason for that is that you don't have any "handles" (captured frames that are before your "In" point) in the second clip. Same would apply to the "Out" point for a transition. As long as you have handles, fades, dissolves, etc are literally drag and drop.

Mike Teutsch December 8th, 2006 06:30 PM

If you use a disolve transition, and have no handles, it will tell you that it is using repeated frames and will still handel the transition smoothly.

Mike

Miguel Lombana December 9th, 2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard
Premiere Pro 2.0 is a great application, once you get familiar with single line editing, but I know for certain that all Canopus cards gave serious trouble with Premiere Pro 1.0 and 1.5. Problems that were never solved. Canopus has never even tried to support 2.0, in fact they stopped support for all Adobe products.

Have you never experienced any of the many issues, widely discussed on the Canopus forums? If that is the case, you must be the 1 in a million exception.

I would advise to just use a simple OHCI card. I have dumped all my RT cards (among them the Raptor, Storm and Matrox RT-X100) and still count my blessings.

I still use the Raptor RT2 in my 2nd box with Pro 1.51, the drivers for 2.0 were never created as you pointed out but it's not a major issue. The times that I use the 2nd box with the Raptor are times that I want to do a black and white with a single color showthru like for a wedding and everything is black and white but a rose in the brides hand. Premier 2.0 can do it but I know the exact way to key it in the Raptor screens and get it done really fast.

As for issues, I can honestly say that once the last set of drivers came out last year, I haven't had any issues, just complaints that they opted to support Edius and just left the Premier users out to dry, even going so far as to lock the thread on their website to keep the gripeing down.

I guess that I am the 1 in a (doubt they sold a million units) but a number higher than 100!

Daniel Cegla December 11th, 2006 05:31 PM

Yeah my mind still works in A/B mode a bit, so here is how I cheat:

put the clip in V2, and put the next clip you want to fade INTO in V1. Have the first clip in V2 overlap V1 but the amount that you want to fade, and then apply your Cross Dissolve only to the clip on V2 (so if nothing is in v1 it will fade black.

Does this make sense? It is just like AB except you don't apply the fade on a transition track, you apply it to the clip in the higher track.

V2-V2-V2-V2-V2(FADE-FADE-FADE)
-----------------V1-V1-V1-V1-V1-V1-V1-V1-V1-V1-V1

Hope that helps and I hope what I said makes sense!

Jeremiah Rickert December 12th, 2006 06:06 PM

hehe...

Okay, I'll give that a try. I knocked out the project in Premiere 6.5 in 20 minutes (editing a 30 min tape down to 10 with the 4yr old's Christmas program on it). It rendered in a little over a minute. (added titles, and title-cards before each song, with cross dissolves and fades on either side of them). I was thinking of importing the project into 2.0 just to see what it looked like, i.e., where they put the transitions and what-not, but hadn't gotten around to it.

I noticed that Premiere 6.5 says "Dual CPU Detected" when it loads...does that mean it can take advantage of dual processors?

Jeremiah

Mike Teutsch December 12th, 2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

I noticed that Premiere 6.5 says "Dual CPU Detected" when it loads...does that mean it can take advantage of dual processors?

Jeremiah

Yes...

Mike

Daniel Cegla December 12th, 2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

Okay, I'll give that a try. I knocked out the project in Premiere 6.5 in 20 minutes (editing a 30 min tape down to 10 with the 4yr old's Christmas program on it). It rendered in a little over a minute. (added titles, and title-cards before each song, with cross dissolves and fades on either side of them). I was thinking of importing the project into 2.0 just to see what it looked like, i.e., where they put the transitions and what-not, but hadn't gotten around to it.

Jeremiah

Jeremiah I see you're from newberg... in my backyard. I'm down 219 north up in Beaverton.

Yes give that a try in PP2. I too switched from A/B editing and at very first, it was tough. Especially the transitions. But that little trick made it easy on me. PP2 is a much better program and it is worth the learning curve.

Yes multicores and processors are supported.