DV Rack & Live Multicam switching at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 8th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Major Player

DV Rack & Live Multicam switching

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but here's my idea:

Install DVRack on my laptop (17" screen).
Hook up 3 GL1 cams to some sort of firewire switcher/spliter (does this exist?)
Hook the switcher/splitter to the laptop via firewire

Running DVRack would I be able to monitor all 3 feeds and live-switch the recording? Having it record straight into my laptop hard drive.

Thank you for any help on this. I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to use my laptop+DVRack (or another software) to mimic the video-switching & monitoring capability of the Datavideo SE-800DV
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Not sure mechanical switching is fast enough

I'm surprised SM hasn't figured out how to turn DV-Rack into a live switcher.
My thought is that you could have mutliple Firewire cards in a computer (1 per camera) and electronically switch sources.
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

NewTek Tricaster.
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

With your laptop idea, how would you monitor all three sources?

Also your firewire switch would have to perform vertical interval switches otherwise you would get a glitch -picture roll on every switch.

It's more complicated than you may be thinking.

Keith
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Major Player

The Tricaster looks interesting, I'm checking that one out. Thank you for that.

With the laptop idea, just an idea. I'm almost certain it won't work simply because if it did then there would be no reason for someone to use specific hardware instead of a less expensive laptop setup (IMHO).

I was thinking that DVRack would allow me to view the multiple cameras. However, I asked here because I haven't actually used the system myself and thought someone would be able to enlighten me on if that is even possible. It's sounding like it is not possible to configure a system as i was originally hoping I could.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner
The Tricaster looks interesting, I'm checking that one out. Thank you for that.

With the laptop idea, just an idea. I'm almost certain it won't work simply because if it did then there would be no reason for someone to use specific hardware instead of a less expensive laptop setup (IMHO).

I was thinking that DVRack would allow me to view the multiple cameras. However, I asked here because I haven't actually used the system myself and thought someone would be able to enlighten me on if that is even possible. It's sounding like it is not possible to configure a system as i was originally hoping I could.
I use the Newtek Video toaster which is the larger brother of the Tricaster and I can tell you this is the best way to go for sure. There is special hardware which makes it all possible. A computer by itself would have a hard time doing all the live switching aspects involved so the laptop idea (presently) wouldn't work very well. The only other thing you could do is get a used switcher off of ebay and use that. If the switcher has firewire output, you could record the output on your laptop but that's about the extent of what a laptop (with only software) is able to do at the moment...

Richard
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #7
New Boot

Remote CCU

There are of course, distance limitations with Firewire that might be a bit of a hindrance for a multicam setup. For Firewire400 I think it's only 15feet.

I was kind of thinking of something similar with the Canon Console software but to be able to control the camera functions remotely, like a CCU (camera control unit) on studio cameras.

Russ
Russ Speiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #8
New Boot

re

you could try 3 laptops and remote desktop... that is if you happed to have 3 laptops lying about.
R. Phil Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #9
Major Player

On HDVRack you need to goto the menu and change between the camera's.
Before Serious Magic was bought by Adobe I requested to be able to assign hot-keys. To be able to switch easily between multiple inputs...
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #10
Major Player

Russ,

I do live camera work with 4 XL-H1s and, so far, I have not purchased Console to use as CCUs, but I plan to this year. Although it's not cheap, you can get fiber optic conversion hardware to convert firewire to optics and then back again. The optic cable can run up to 1600 feet!

Here is an example of the hardware available:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2808

One big downside to this is 4-pin firewire is a horrible connection - I mean the actual physical connectors. It's very fragile and falls out or bends easily. I wish there were a better option for connecting to the camera.

-Vence
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Hmmmm.....why not try Vera Software's Wirecast? I've used it before for multiple camera live switching for a live webcast. I don't remember for sure, but I think you can pick the codec and size that you save your file as if you do an 'archive'. As mentioned, one drawback is the silly 4 pin connectors on camera's, it sucks that they will fall out so easy.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Major Player

Gabe - how does Vara Wirecast work with multiple DV cameras, or does it? I'm looking at getting a Tricaster or renting one, but if it would do even just two DV cameras I might be able to save a lot of money going that way. Would it work on a MacBook Pro?
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:40 AM   #13
Major Player

Phillip,

Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you.

Yes, Wirecast can handle two DV cameras. I have used 3 DV cameras before on my old 1.5ghz G4 powerbook. There are some things you can do to make it work better, but you should have no problems with only 2 DV cameras....and I was doing this on my old powerbook so a macbook pro should have no problems.

I just finished a 7 month contract broadcasting live meetings for the state and I used the laptop/software route with no problem. I also just finished a two day broadcast this past week using Sony's Anycast (which is similar to the Tricaster stuff). So I am pretty familiar with the pluses and minuses to them all. One good thing about wirecast is that it has everything needed for a small livecast (even a built in server to send your broadcast live to a limited number of people).

Anyways, that's about all I can say on this. I DO have a consulting portion of my business, helping people with live webcasts so I don't want to give away ALL my secrets on a public internet forum!
:-)

Gabe Strong
www.gforcevideo.com
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite