DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   In A Crunch! Haaaalp! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/81745-crunch-haaaalp.html)

Hugh DiMauro December 14th, 2006 09:46 AM

In A Crunch! Haaaalp!

Is there a way to cut up one long clip (talking head interview) on the timeline and bring it back to the project panel in smaller, usable clips?

Steven Gotz December 14th, 2006 10:38 AM

I would normally put the long clip into the source window and then set the in/out points and then drag to the project window. Give it a name (or in older versions than 2.0 just rename it). Move the in/out and repeat.

If you already have it on the sequence, I believe you can doubleclick on each clip in the sequence, which opens it in the source monitor, and then you drag from there to the project window.

Hugh DiMauro December 14th, 2006 11:31 AM

Okay. That's what I wanted to know. I don't drag the timeline clip itself to the project panel (it would not allow that) I drag the trimmed clip from the source monitor back to the project panel?

Pete Bauer December 14th, 2006 11:45 AM

Would sub-clips do what you are trying to do? They are easy to create.

Steven Gotz December 14th, 2006 12:21 PM

Hugh,

That's correct. Doubclick on the clip in the timeline, don't try to drag it. It ends up in the Source monitor. From there you drag it to the project panel.

Hugh DiMauro December 14th, 2006 02:38 PM

Pete: I never had occasion to use subclips so I don't know if that's my solution. By the way, I hope DVC#7 is going smoothly for you thus far. I have one more night of shooting and then a marathon editing session starting maybe tonight and definitely Friday until... This is one movie that will be made in the editing suite.

Steve: That is my answer. Thank you much. Time is not my ally this challenge and streamlining my workflow will save my a** from the wall of shame.

Thanks to the both of you.

Hugh DiMauro December 14th, 2006 10:01 PM

Steve, it's not working. I'm still awake editing. Any other things for me to try?

Mike Teutsch December 14th, 2006 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro
Steve, it's not working. I'm still awake editing. Any other things for me to try?

Email sent!

Mike

Hugh DiMauro December 15th, 2006 08:49 AM

Mike: I haven't checked my e-mail yet but I will after this post. I continued monkeying with it last night and I accidentally discovered subclips! (Thank you, Pete Bauer!).

* I've discovered that if I place a trimmed version of a longer clip from the source monitor into the timeline then double click it to bring it back to the source monitor, it will not allow me to move the trimmed clip from the source monitor into the program panel.

* However, PPro 2.0 does allow me to move a trimmed clip directly from the source monitor to the program panel after I rename the clip.

For some reason once the clip ends up in the timeline the program refuses to allow me to move it from the source monitor to the program panel.

I have to re-trim everything but now at least I know how to do it for future projects. Thanks to everybody for all your help. Now, on to Mike's e-mail...

Hugh DiMauro December 15th, 2006 09:02 AM

Mike and Steve:

I received your e-mails and sent a response. Thank you for your quick and helpful assistance when I needed it most!

Happy Holidays to All!

Steven Gotz December 15th, 2006 01:29 PM

Hugh,

I see your problem. Simple solution. Sorry I missed it.

Put the CTI over the clip in the sequence and press T. That will bring up the original clip from the project window with the appropriate in/out points for the section of interest. Drag that over and you will have your subclip.