workflow and posting hdv clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 4th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #1
Trustee

workflow and posting hdv clips?

We edit with PPro and Cineform aspect HD, and are working on a few different hdv projects. can anyone answer the following?

We just edited a short music video excerpt from a recent beach wedding. We edited in hdv using ppro and Cineform. To view it on the gateway monitor, we exported the timeline back to tape, so we have the edited hdv version on tape.
1- What do you do in order to save the project(including captured hdv clips) for later Hd authoring when the medium becomes available? It seems like the only options now would be to either save it on tape, or keep the project and footage on a hard drive. Keeping them on a drive would get very expensive, very quickly. What are you doing?
3-If we wanted to post a clip on dvinfo, or where ever, what type of file or compression are people using? We created a wmv9, but can't play it until we down load windows media player 11, plus that would be too big to post, correct?
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Trustee

Bruce,

I save everything to an external hard drive. Because of this, I make sure to scene detect all my captures so that I don't have to store more video than I really need.

Expensive? Not really. I can get a 250GB drive pretty cheap. I also back up to tape just in case. But that is much less editable later.

I would post using WM9, which can be read easily with earlier versions of Media Player. You should not need version 11. However, if you want to share around here, you are probably better off putting it on a web site as Flash, or even Quicktime. Mainly because Mac users have problems with Windows Media, and very few PC users have problems with Quicktime.

You can get your point across with a frame size at well under 1280X720. Half of that works great.

The files will be bigger to get the same quality, but you share more widely. If you really want to do a great job, get Sorenson Squeeze and use it to make your Quicktime output a lot better.
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #3

Agree with steve. Hard drives are so incredibly cheap these days. A single, hot swappable SATA drive is dedicated to every project....and 160Gb can be had for around $100. As for format, I'm very happy with archiving everything as a cineform intermediate.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
1- What do you do in order to save the project(including captured hdv clips) for later Hd authoring when the medium becomes available? It seems like the only options now would be to either save it on tape, or keep the project and footage on a hard drive. Keeping them on a drive would get very expensive, very quickly. What are you doing?
Write back to tape. @ ~$6 tape per hour, this is the CHEAPest archive medium. After I deliver everything I write out the M2Ts back to tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
3-If we wanted to post a clip on dvinfo, or where ever, what type of file or compression are people using? We created a wmv9, but can't play it until we down load windows media player 11, plus that would be too big to post, correct?
wmv9/h264 are the most popular codecs to use, file sizes will vary depending upon resolution and quality setting. 5 min piece @ High Quality 640x360 (letterbox format on a 4:3 TV SD QUALITY) will run you about 30-50 megs depending upon codec/compression. Decent Quality 720P will for 5 mins will run you abotu 200megs.
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the info, guys.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite