DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   How are you guys Monitoring your HDV/SD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/86818-how-you-guys-monitoring-your-hdv-sd.html)

Steve Montoto February 18th, 2007 09:32 AM

How are you guys Monitoring your HDV/SD?

Just wanted to know what you guys are doing about HD/SD Monitoring and workflow for color correction ect??

Im considering between a Matrox rt.x2 for the DVI output for Full resolution Monitoring and acceleration on a Cinema 23", or Cineform Aspect HD and a Quadro FX1500 for the component output to an HD LCD.

Are there any other ways that I might be missing that would be better? or does anyone have experience with one of these two that could give me some advice before I purchase.

Much appreciation,

Steve

P.S. Im using Premiere Pro 2 / After Effects

Ralph Keyser February 19th, 2007 12:00 PM

I'm using one of Panasonic's BT-LH1700W 17" monitors. My 14" Sony CRT still gets used as a double check sometimes on color issues.
A lot depends on what you are planning to do. Developing material for the web vs. broadcast vs. projection has different requirements depending on the final use of the material.

Ralph Keyser February 19th, 2007 12:00 PM

<delete double post>

Graham Hickling February 19th, 2007 02:31 PM

I simply have a $100 Nvidia 7600GT card driving a 22" LCD monitor via DVI for the NLE, and outputting 1080i or 720p (selectable) from its component outputs to a 19" LCD TV.

I run AspectHD, and it has a checkbox (available under Settings/General in the PPro menu) that sends the overlay surface to the component output.

Miguel Lombana March 1st, 2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Montoto (Post 627397)
Just wanted to know what you guys are doing about HD/SD Monitoring and workflow for color correction ect??

Im considering between a Matrox rt.x2 for the DVI output for Full resolution Monitoring and acceleration on a Cinema 23", or Cineform Aspect HD and a Quadro FX1500 for the component output to an HD LCD.

Are there any other ways that I might be missing that would be better? or does anyone have experience with one of these two that could give me some advice before I purchase.

Much appreciation,

Steve

P.S. Im using Premiere Pro 2 / After Effects

Running a Matrox Parhelia APVe on my Dell 380 Workstation, (2) LG 19" Monitors + (1) Widescreen Magnavox HD/DVD monitor that I picked up at Circuit City for 350 when they were on sale.

Monitoring via the card is painless, there are no drivers for Vista however Vista doesn't seem to run half of my other aps so I'm back to XP-Pro32.

The card is nice, 4 way breakout via configurations that are effortless to figureout and a run-once software initialization that you use to setup the output to the 3rd monitor.

Now the con's: On PPro 2.0 (at least on my system) it's sluggish when editing HDV spanning 2 monitors. I have tried this on the NVidia FX1400 that shipped with the Dell and it's not sluggish anymore so there is something in the driver mix for Matrox.

I have contacted tech support and they claim I should not be seeing this, but I am and I can actually see the screen writes as Premier Pro paints it's boxes. I have requested Matrox to consider swapping out the card for a new one or an upgrade to the RT.X2 card.

Worst case I ordered an NVidia FX 1500 card yesterday that does 2 monitors plus has a breakout box for HD.

We'll see how it goes.

Miguel

Chris Barcellos March 1st, 2007 12:26 PM

I am using a 20 inch Dell wide screen monitor for the editing , using SVGA, and cheap Magnavox 32 inch lcd fed from my ATI X700 by DVI output using HDMI convertor cable for the preview. This is in conjunction with my AMD 3800+ dual core self built system. Preview is choppy if not prerendered, but provides a fair view of the end product.

Steve Montoto March 1st, 2007 10:33 PM

Thank you for the responses, I just upgraded my computer with a Dual Core and Matrox RT.X2 for monitoring output on my 23" apple cinema display. Everything seems to flow very well and the performance is incredible.