Pc Switch Off When Batch Capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 24th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pc Switch Off When Batch Capture

Hey

Everytime I try to batch capture or Capture a long sequences in Prem Pro 2 my PC switches itself off after 1-2 captures. I've defragged which took for ever and emptied temp files etc...but stilll it keeps doing it...Could it be a fault with my Ram?...I'm only running the one program at a time. It gets even worse when I run another program. You hear the PC struggling through the process of running too much. There's plenty of room on my HD, about 50GB out of 230GB....Is there a way to check my RAM? CLEAN IT....OPEN UP THE MEMORY AND CLEAR IT UP?

I'm not sure what else I can do?

Anyone outthere got any suggestions please?

INTEL PENT 4, 1 GB RAM, 230GB HD, GEFORCE 6200 TURBOCACHE;
Will Aldersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Aldersley
Hey

Everytime I try to batch capture or Capture a long sequences in Prem Pro 2 my PC switches itself off after 1-2 captures. I've defragged which took for ever and emptied temp files etc...but stilll it keeps doing it...Could it be a fault with my Ram?...I'm only running the one program at a time. It gets even worse when I run another program. You hear the PC struggling through the process of running too much. There's plenty of room on my HD, about 50GB out of 230GB....Is there a way to check my RAM? CLEAN IT....OPEN UP THE MEMORY AND CLEAR IT UP?

I'm not sure what else I can do?

Anyone outthere got any suggestions please?

INTEL PENT 4, 1 GB RAM, 230GB HD, GEFORCE 6200 TURBOCACHE;
Will,

You did not say what the speed of the P4 chip was. You say the HD has plenty of room, but that is really not true. Computers have a lot of problems when there is not much room left on the drive. They need room to work and yours may not have enough, especially as the video will take up room fast. Is there any data that you can remove and try again?

Perhaps add an external drive and try that?

Mike
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Mike

P4 CPU 3.20 ghz, is that the speed?...so do I need to just free up my HARD DRIVE? There's 50GB of 230GB available...I can maybe free up another 20GB.

thanks..
W
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you can free up some room without loosing anything you need that might be a way to try it.

My advice, if you intend to do video work on your computer, is to get an additional drive, one at least. They are pretty reasonable right now and you would definetly benefit from putting your video and audio on the other drive and let PPro have the main system drive to itself. That is what is recommended. A simple USB drive is fine. You have to change your scratch disk settings then.

Sorry I can't help more.

Mike
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Will,

Your post contains the answer to your question. Your computer is struggling to do too many things at once. IF you are running your app, and CAPTURING to the same hard drive, it's no wonder you're struggling. Get another drive or two dedicated expressley to media capture. One drive for you apps, other drives for your media. You don't have to be a computer whiz to add a drive. If you don't want to crack the case and install an internal drive, (The cheapest way to go) then just buy an external and plug it in to your firewire port.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys
I've freed up a further 40GB which has helped it a little.
It was just that I'd had this much video on my HD before without any real problems like switch off with no warning....so I thought it may have been a ram problem....

I'll get myself an external Drive as advised.
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Will

External drives are OK, but I've found drive caddies to be be really good. The drives are cheap and the caddy only adds about GBP 20 to the cost. Once the caddy bay is fitted, the HD capacity of the PC is unlimited(!) - just buy more drives and caddies. This is really useful if you have several long-term projects on the go because you can keep all the projects, video files etc intact and just power down and change the drive to work on another project.

With EIDE drives, most PCs have 2 separate channels and it's best to put the video drive on a separate channel to the main system drive.

Hope this helps
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite