What's cooking for PPro 3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #16
Major Player

The time remapping and inclusion of the (now-renamed) DV Rack application are enough for me. Integration with Flash will also save some steps on my typical workflow to the Web.

I, too, also hope that down-sampling is fixed for HDV content. Their encoder is showing its age. But it's not a show-stopper for me. I'm far too enmeshed in the Adobe Suite to switch NLEs, and Dynamic Link is too much a part of my workflow now. But I haven't edited with anything else to compare it with, though... but see no need to right now.

I'll happily hand over my cash when the time comes,
Brian Brown
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lach View Post

Media management is directly linked to reliability and responsiveness on long term projects. Premiere is not reliable when you throw hours of footage and hundreds of clips at it over a long period of time. Avid will load as fast and respond as well no matter the number of clips/sequence time, even after months of the original project creation. To work in a pro environment, you can't afford to start fighting the app as your project grows, this would be counter-productive. You need reliability and PPro doesn't provide that yet.
I couldn't agree more with you David. I'm currently fighting with PrPro 2.0 on a project that has 5000+ video and audio clips (about 75 hours) with many many nested sequences out of necessity for 5.1 surround sound mixing and I spend more time reading "Sorry, Adobe Premiere has to shut down..." errors than anything. Each reboot and restart of the project costs me 12+ minutes and usually in a 3 hour session, I'm restarting about 4-5 times. The project use to load in just a few minutes and as the complexities of the edit started to compound the project began to take 7-10 minutes to load. To work around this, I have to run 2 seperate projects, 1 to mix 5.1 sound which has all of the unused assets removed and the other to sweeten + fix sound (doing these two phases concurrently to maximize our time and need access to all assets) and what a hassle. Ever since I removed unused assets, it's been pretty solid, but keeping track and updating multiple projects can be quite tedious and counter productive.

I was hoping for 64bit version with PrPro CS3 for stability but it's not going to happen. Ridiculous.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #18
Major Player

On Adobe's site, it states that one can upgrade from PP2 for $299 - OR, you can buy PP2 upgrade now for $199! and get CS3 for free when it comes out - What?

The Adobe site also says that Encore is rolled into Premiere. I wonder how that will work. Is CS3 going to be one over bloated program or are we still getting two separate programs with one encoder better than the other or?

My favorite update - someone finally figured out that there are times when you want to replace footage on a timeline the same as one does in AE, just by replacing the asset and keeping the edits! Man, what took so long!!!

I've been using their stuff for years and they seem to do this each time - dribble out a few more features, while failing to really make huge leaps or fix some of the real issues that people are faced with everyday - 24p DVD export, tape export, encoder problems, clumsy interface....

Yeah, I bought into it a long time ago and stuck with it because that's what I'm used to. I'm hoping that they will address some of the issues that PP2 really needed addressing, but I get the feeling that this one is all about throwing a few new things in so that they can launch all their products as this new Suite.
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Encore is included with PPro - not rolled into it. It is still a separate app.

I think what many people are missing with these updates are some fundamental elements of Adobe's direction:

-Integration is the name of the game now.

The developers that don't get this (ahem..sony) are going to get pushed aside. This release of all the CS3 apps is about them working well with each other. This is critical. I just don't see PPro working to it's potential without AE, Soundbooth and Encore. Notice they let go of the 'standard' version of AE? That is because you need the single version of AE to really have the full workflow with PPro.

-Subtle

Many of the improvements in all the apps are subtle little elements that when compounded add up to big things. Several of AEs improvements are like this - the motion blur revamp for example. You will find many of these in PPro as well. What this means is you are getting a honed tool instead of new problems being introduced.

Adobe has upheld this as their biggest update ever and I can easily see that. There was a huge amount of planning and teamwork between development teams on this project and I think you will see them back in the arena as one of the serious players in post.

-gl
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #20
Major Player

Good points George, but I still can't help thinking that there are several things that would really help everyday workflow that should be addressed, but are not apparent in the features of this latest release. I would prefer a rock solid, fast and friendly, editor that let's one export properly in all the required formats before the ability to integrate with 6 other apps that I don't necessarily like or want to use because they have similar limitations and quirks.
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #21
Regular Crew

You may want to hold judgement until we see more hands on opportunities like the open beta coming up this in mid April. You may find that some of your UI and export issues are addressed.

-gl
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #22
Major Player

I agree. I guess I'm just a bit skeptical goiven their track record with Premiere. BTW - I have not seen any info regarding the beta or release date. What have you heard?
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Loch View Post

-Integration is the name of the game now.

The developers that don't get this (ahem..sony) are going to get pushed aside. This release of all the CS3 apps is about them working well with each other. This is critical. I just don't see PPro working to it's potential without AE, Soundbooth and Encore. Notice they let go of the 'standard' version of AE? That is because you need the single version of AE to really have the full workflow with PPro.

Adobe has upheld this as their biggest update ever and I can easily see that. There was a huge amount of planning and teamwork between development teams on this project and I think you will see them back in the arena as one of the serious players in post.

-gl
George,

Can you elaborate a little on the added integration between Premiere, AE, Encore, & Sound Booth for CS3? Premiere for editing and AE for color correcting utilizing the integration is more than worth the price of admission for me. Using Audition's integration with PrPro 2 has been a serious time saver not to mention the savings on my sanity. I guess what I'm getting at, is the new integration features in CS3 enough to warrant an upgrade over the integration between PrPro 2, AE 7 Pro, Audition 2, Encore 2? I do not have dynamic linking though. Thank you.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wilson View Post
I agree. I guess I'm just a bit skeptical goiven their track record with Premiere. BTW - I have not seen any info regarding the beta or release date. What have you heard?
Open release betas are rumored to be out in the next 2-6 weeks. Anticipated release is to be timed with the Mac platform, which is July-August.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #25
Major Player

Okay, so there is still a ways to go. Thanks
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
April 16th it will be at labs.adobe.com along with AE CS3.

-gl
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch View Post
George,

Can you elaborate a little on the added integration between Premiere, AE, Encore, & Sound Booth for CS3? Premiere for editing and AE for color correcting utilizing the integration is more than worth the price of admission for me. Using Audition's integration with PrPro 2 has been a serious time saver not to mention the savings on my sanity. I guess what I'm getting at, is the new integration features in CS3 enough to warrant an upgrade over the integration between PrPro 2, AE 7 Pro, Audition 2, Encore 2? I do not have dynamic linking though. Thank you.

Kevin
It takes the current integration to another level in terms of drag and drop abilities and non-destructive interaction. For example, you can drag and drop a PPro sequence into an AE project with all the bins and keyframed events all intact.

Almost every filter/effect is transferable to AE from PPro now. Also the photoshop layer effects also transfer between AE and PPro. Basically, we are talking about Dynamic Link2 :)

-gl
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #28
Major Player

That sounds great George, but is that only through dynamic link which is part of the Studio Premium bundle, or will that be part of the general integration?
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
That sounds great George, but is that only through dynamic link which is part of the Studio Premium bundle, or will that be part of the general integration?
If you have PPro CS3 and AE CS3 you have this capability:

"Integration With Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Encore CS3:

Adobe Premiere Pro project import
Save time and preserve project organization when working with Adobe Premiere Pro projects. Preserve bins, edits, markers, keyframed effects, nested sequences, transitions, and more from Adobe Premiere Pro. Drag and drop or copy and paste clips from one application to the other.

Adobe Premiere Pro project export
Export an After Effects project as an Adobe Premiere Pro project, streamlining work that involves editing as well as motion graphics and effects.

Adobe Encore CS3 integration
Create elements such as motion menus and interactive buttons for your DVDs. Export movies from After Effects with markers that Encore CS3 reads as chapters."

-gl
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #30
Major Player

Thanks George. Not sure if these added features will warrant an upgrade for myself, but hopefully by this time next year a 64-bit version will be close to launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Loch View Post
If you have PPro CS3 and AE CS3 you have this capability:

"Integration With Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Encore CS3:

Adobe Premiere Pro project import
Save time and preserve project organization when working with Adobe Premiere Pro projects. Preserve bins, edits, markers, keyframed effects, nested sequences, transitions, and more from Adobe Premiere Pro. Drag and drop or copy and paste clips from one application to the other.

Adobe Premiere Pro project export
Export an After Effects project as an Adobe Premiere Pro project, streamlining work that involves editing as well as motion graphics and effects.

Adobe Encore CS3 integration
Create elements such as motion menus and interactive buttons for your DVDs. Export movies from After Effects with markers that Encore CS3 reads as chapters."

-gl
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite